Politics Climate Change Paradox (cont in part 2)

Should we act now, or wait for a unified global approach

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
You still haven't answered the first question i posed...

Which question?

As treasurer and then PM, he has skyrocketed our debt, even before covid. Nothing to show for it, except richer billionaires.

What are the good points you can say about him? He is a marketing fool, nothing else.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Which question?

As treasurer and then PM, he has skyrocketed our debt, even before covid. Nothing to show for it, except richer billionaires.

What are the good points you can say about him? He is a marketing fool, nothing else.

I'm not here to debate Scott Morrison.

How many times does the boy have to cry wolf over man made climate change before we start to ask questions? I'm referring to the IPCC and its followers here...

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not here to debate Scott Morrison.

How many times does the boy have to cry wolf over man made climate change before we start to ask questions? I'm referring to the IPCC and its followers here...

So you want to debate Greta, but not Morrison?

Who do you think would have a greater impact on policy?

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No impact on climate by 2050 would suggest we managed to slow/stop the temperature increase.

That would be a success. The air would be cleaner as an added bonus ie. less pollution.

How can you be sure how much the temperatures would have actually increased by?

Are we measuring this against the current IPCC alarmist projections because if so, I would argue that doing nothing would probably achieve a positive result in comparison.

A lot of these predictions are completely off the charts and are almost always supported with alarmist language. We've heard it all before, time and time again over the last 50 years and none of the predictions have ever come close to eventuating.

At the same time, anyone who dares to question these predictions is quickly silenced and ridiculed. Does this sound like how science is supposed to work to you?

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
How can you be sure how much the temperatures would have actually increased by?

Are we measuring this against the current IPCC alarmist projections because if so, I would argue that doing nothing would probably achieve a positive result in comparison.

A lot of these predictions are completely off the charts and are almost always supported with alarmist language. We've heard it all before, time and time again over the last 50 years and none of the predictions have ever come close to eventuating.

At the same time, anyone who dares to question these predictions is quickly silenced and ridiculed. Does this sound like how science is supposed to work to you?

Nah, the environment is much worse than when I was a kid. Time to start fixing it.

I don't really care about the economic effect of that. Boomers have the most to lose economically, seems fair to me.

Feds just print more money anyway. * the submarines and mining profits.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you want to debate Greta, but not Morrison?

Who do you think would have a greater impact on policy?

A few reasons well founded reason to debate Greta.

1. She is not a scientist. She has no qualifications.

2. If the IPCC are non-biased as they claim, why would they be entertaining activists like Greta and Extinction Rebellion whilst never allowing a reasoned debate amongst scientists on these issues?

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
A few reasons well founded reason to debate Greta.

1. She is not a scientist. She has no qualifications.

2. If the IPCC are non-biased as they claim, why would they be entertaining activists like Greta and Extinction Rebellion whilst never allowing a reasoned debate amongst scientists on these issues?

Morrison has no qualifications either. He pretends to run a country with one of the highest per capita emissions.

Pretend PM vs Greta, I'd vote for Greta.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Evidence or predictions? The two are very different.
Of global warming? Evidence. Of the potential ramifications? Predictions, because we can't tell the future.

The thing about modelling is it's not exact because the data that feeds into it is ever changing. That doesn't make it useless. You're attempting to use the fact that modelling evolves to take into account new factors to do nothing. Given the potential consequences for all mankind of doing nothing, that's borderline sociopathic, all in the name of money.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nah, the environment is much worse than when I was a kid. Time to start fixing it.

I don't really care about the economic effect of that. Boomers have the most to lose economically, seems fair to me.

Feds just print more money, fu** the submarines and mining profits.

But there is a fair bit of conjecture about how much of a difference we can actually make amongst the scientific community.

The IPCC tries to have us believe that we are almost solely responsible for the change in climate on the planet yet there are a few issues with this.

1. There are over 100 factors identified that effect climate on our planet. We as humans have some involvement in about a handful of these.

2. Our planet has gone through an everchanging climate for millions of years long before any human involvement. Many warm periods just like today.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
But there is a fair bit of conjecture about how much of a difference we can actually make amongst the scientific community.

The IPCC tries to have us believe that we are almost solely responsible for the change in climate on the planet yet there are a few issues with this.

1. There are over 100 factors identified that effect climate on our planet. We as humans have some involvement in about a handful of these.

2. Our planet has gone through an everchanging climate for millions of years long before any human involvement. Many warm periods just like today.

So you prefer to just give up and not try?

Unaustralian attitude. We used to get s**t done, what happened?

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of global warming? Evidence. Of the potential ramifications? Predictions, because we can't tell the future.

The thing about modelling is it's not exact because the data that feeds into it is ever changing. That doesn't make it useless. You're attempting to use the fact that modelling evolves to take into account new factors to do nothing. Given the potential consequences for all mankind of doing nothing, that's borderline sociopathic, all in the name of money.

But when you start modelling patterns that are just completely off the charts compared to any other time historically, surely you have to ask questions right?

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you prefer to just give up and not try?

Unaustralian attitude. We used to get sh*t done, what happened?

I think we would get more benefit out of reforestation.

Renewable energies make sense and should be explored. But the transition should be done in a responsible manner financially. You don't go out and mortgage a $10M house when you're only earning $500 a week.

But we need to encourage serious scientific debate rather than unnecessarily scaring the living daylights out of our kids by using alarmist language and ridiculous, off the charts modelling. We can make a difference without all of this crap surely! All it's doing is sending kids to psychologists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back