List Mgmt. Future Trade Targets - finding our next Yeo.

Remove this Banner Ad

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
As this trade period winds down, it's pretty evident we're happy to take SPS and our picks and head to the draft. Given the demographic of our list, how disappointing we were this season and what is presumably a tight salary cap, it makes sense that the right thing to do right now is take the best kids available to us in the draft.

It recently struck me how important seemingly low key trades for guys like Elliot Yeo, Jamie Cripps, Jack Redden (I suppose that was a late first rounder) were to building that premiership team. We've been relatively active in recent off-seasons trading in semi-developed talents in Witherden, Langdon and Sam Petrevski-Seton to plug a hole in our list in the 21-25 year old range, but none of them project as being top 10 on the list type players. If we want to continue this period of sustained success, we need to opportunistically look at plucking talent from other clubs - preferably before they hit their straps (ala Tim Kelly). I reckon you can bet your bottom dollar the club will adopt this strategy going forward, but it got me thinking, which players out there could be our next Elliot Yeo type trade?

I've had a crack at compiling a list of realistic targets that fit the bill of being from WA, may not cost the world to bring back (if we strike a trade at the right time of their careers) but could project to be top 10-15 players on our list for a sustained period of time.

Relatively gettable:

Brandan Starcevich (BRIS)
Devon Robertson (BRIS)
Zac Fisher (CARL)
Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
Jeremy Sharp (GCS)
Wil Powell (GCS)
Trent Rivers (MELB)
Tim English (WB)
Chad Warner (SYD)
Riley Garcia (WB)

Some more speculative talents:

Jack Carroll (CARL)
Shannon Neale (GEEL)
Tyler Brockman (HAW)

Probably too talented and therefore expensive:

Sam Taylor (GWS)
Luke Jackson (MELB)
Mitch Georgiades (PORT)
Shai Bolton (RICH)
Logan MacDonald (SYD)

That's my crack at compiling a bit of a snapshot of what's out there - it's not necessarily my own personal wishlist. Personally, the types I'd be most interested in are guys like Starcevich, Powell and SPP - although I do have a suspicion that our need to replace Naitanui before long means we will at least be asking the question of Tim English.

Are there any I've missed?

For me, Starcevich and Rivers fit more appropriately in the Probably too talented and therefore expensive category. Quality players.
Agree with both, especially starcevich

was a big bodied mid with a nice penetrating kick at his U18 champs but Brisbane have just turned him into a dour lockdown defender. not sure if they intend to keep him their or release him into the middle eventually but he will be expensive.

For me, Starcevich and Rivers fit more appropriately in the Probably too talented and therefore expensive category. Quality players.

A fair comment although a nicely timed plateau around contract time and a sudden urge to play at home could help us out.

that’s me being very optimistic but I see them as distinguished from a MacDonald type target. But yeah, we ain’t getting those guys for a second rounder like Yeo.

As this trade period winds down, it's pretty evident we're happy to take SPS and our picks and head to the draft. Given the demographic of our list, how disappointing we were this season and what is presumably a tight salary cap, it makes sense that the right thing to do right now is take the best kids available to us in the draft.

It recently struck me how important seemingly low key trades for guys like Elliot Yeo, Jamie Cripps, Jack Redden (I suppose that was a late first rounder) were to building that premiership team. We've been relatively active in recent off-seasons trading in semi-developed talents in Witherden, Langdon and Sam Petrevski-Seton to plug a hole in our list in the 21-25 year old range, but none of them project as being top 10 on the list type players. If we want to continue this period of sustained success, we need to opportunistically look at plucking talent from other clubs - preferably before they hit their straps (ala Tim Kelly). I reckon you can bet your bottom dollar the club will adopt this strategy going forward, but it got me thinking, which players out there could be our next Elliot Yeo type trade?

I've had a crack at compiling a list of realistic targets that fit the bill of being from WA, may not cost the world to bring back (if we strike a trade at the right time of their careers) but could project to be top 10-15 players on our list for a sustained period of time.

Relatively gettable:

Brandan Starcevich (BRIS)
Devon Robertson (BRIS)
Zac Fisher (CARL)
Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
Jeremy Sharp (GCS)
Wil Powell (GCS)
Trent Rivers (MELB)
Tim English (WB)
Chad Warner (SYD)
Riley Garcia (WB)

Some more speculative talents:

Jack Carroll (CARL)
Shannon Neale (GEEL)
Tyler Brockman (HAW)

Probably too talented and therefore expensive:

Sam Taylor (GWS)
Luke Jackson (MELB)
Mitch Georgiades (PORT)
Shai Bolton (RICH)
Logan MacDonald (SYD)

That's my crack at compiling a bit of a snapshot of what's out there - it's not necessarily my own personal wishlist. Personally, the types I'd be most interested in are guys like Starcevich, Powell and SPP - although I do have a suspicion that our need to replace Naitanui before long means we will at least be asking the question of Tim English.

Are there any I've missed?
I’d love to see us have a crack at getting Warner back home. We’ve got a great trading history with the swans which would certainly help

Honestly, Yeo and Fyfe are overrated. In particular Fyfe is very overrated and Yeo being mini fyfe doesn't make it better.

People like them are very high risk (look at Ah Chee a supposed yeo clone) in terms of injury, development and effort. Their rewards is low. Shuey is slightly more attainable and impactful

Focus on getting the next Sam Mitch or Priddis.

Zac Bailey???

Honestly, Yeo and Fyfe are overrated. In particular Fyfe is very overrated and Yeo being mini fyfe doesn't make it better.

People like them are very high risk (look at Ah Chee a supposed yeo clone) in terms of injury, development and effort. Their rewards is low. Shuey is slightly more attainable and impactful

Focus on getting the next Sam Mitch or Priddis.
Yeo is a fantastic footballer. How is he overrated?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean 7 of the 22 in our 2018 premiership team were on other teams lists before they landed with us
That’s about par with most premiership sides though. I did a quick check a while back.

Point still stands, we should be focusing primarily on the draft

Yeo is a fantastic footballer. How is he overrated?
Should have been more clear in saying fyfe types. They play well but its incredibly hard to recruit them as well as they have a high failure rate.

The comparison I can make is that we shouldn't aim to recruit a team full of Nic Nats athletes/Project players with high draft picks.

Starcevich may want to come back to WA.

Heard a rumour starcevich was gonna request a trade to us this off season, shame nothing came of it

Didn’t he follow the Purples, surprised he would nominated us.

He has surprised me as firstly in his draft year I didn’t rate him that highly as I thought he was not clean enough by hand and his skill set was ok but not great. Secondly I was also surprised when Brisbane drafted him so early, I thought that was a bit of a head scratcher.

Wind time forward - his selection where he was taken was an astute decision by Brisbane and he has really blossomed as a player.

He has a hard edge to his game that I like, very competitive young man.

Would like him at West Coast but can’t see it happening.

This is a bit too ‘Conca-Wilson-Hogan-Lobb’ era Freo…

or Freo every 3 years I guess.

We don’t need to poach to build a team.

I think most premiership teams these days are comprised of a chunk of poached players. It needs to be balanced with good drafting but you can certainly build a team with astute trading. Fremantle made some average choices no doubt, but some of those moves were made with added urgency due to having guys like Neale, Langdon, Hill etc moving the other direction. Part of this exercise is to highlight players who could potentially be the next Yeo rather than the next Conca.

That’s about par with most premiership sides though. I did a quick check a while back.

Point still stands, we should be focusing primarily on the draft

If one third of an average premiership team these days is traded in, doesn't that just reinforce the idea that trading is a legitimate avenue to building a premiership side?

I do agree with the premise that we need to hit the draft hard to acquire that top end talent - I don't support us taking the Geelong route and trading in at the expense of the draft, but realistically trading in players is going to be a reasonable chunk of our next list build.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back