Dale Steyn has retired from cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the very few bowlers I would put on the elite pedestal. Once in a generation bowler.

Lol at that cricinfo list. Steyn, Younis, Marshall, Donald.... Starc 🤣

What a freak. When the ‘holes’ in your record as a pace bowler are having an average in australia the same as Mitchell Johnson’s career mark, and an average in England the same as Ben Stokes’ career average, you know you’ve had a grand career.

What a bowler. Simply the most rounded pace bowler I have ever seen.

He's done well to retire in stages to be able to have praised heaped onto him on multiple occasions.

I think cricket fans know how good he was but I get the impression that he is still extremely under-rated by the general sports fan who takes a casual interest in cricket.

Lol at that cricinfo list. Steyn, Younis, Marshall, Donald.... Starc 🤣

steyn was a jet - no doubt about it.

i think the strike rates are so good these days because of the fast paced test matches and so much time lost in test matches these days , 20/20 has impacted it as well and next to no drawn matches these days (unless weather intervenes).

steyn was a jet - no doubt about it.

i think the strike rates are so good these days because of the fast paced test matches and so much time lost in test matches these days , 20/20 has impacted it as well and next to no drawn matches these days (unless weather intervenes).
Possibly. But the list does say bowlers with 250+ wickets. If we remove that filter a whole bunch of pre-WW1 bowlers occupy the top 10 (Shane Bond clocks in at #3!)

The most underrated cricketer of the last 10-20 years IMO.

Steyn's bowling record stacks up against the all time greats playing in an era full of batsmen whose records do likewise.

as good as lillee and lasted longer

as good as lillee and lasted longer

it's a good talking point.

-i think lillee played against better quality consistently throughout his career, but you can only bowl against who they put out on the park.
-they both played 14-15 years of test cricket and lillee's career included 17 unofficial tests which would be easily higher than the sa v bang and sa v zim tests etc.

in saying that:
steyn 93 tests 439 wickets @ 23
lillee 87 tests 445 wickets @ 24 (unofficial tests included)

it's a close call that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's a good talking point.

-i think lillee played against better quality consistently throughout his career, but you can only bowl against who they put out on the park.
-they both played 14-15 years of test cricket and lillee's career included 17 unofficial tests which would be easily higher than the sa v bang and sa v zim tests etc.

in saying that:
steyn 93 tests 439 wickets @ 23
lillee 87 tests 445 wickets @ 24 (unofficial tests included)

it's a close call that's for sure.

I think there’s definitely arguments you can make for Lillee but did he really bowl against better quality?

He managed to only play 3 tests against the Indian side that had Gavaskar, Vengsarkar, Amarnath, Viswanath, Dev

England had Boycott and Gower but the only other regular who averaged 42+ during Lillee’s career was Dennis Amiss.

Pakistan and the West Indies obviously posed a bigger quandary as far as batsmen went. Though he averaged 30 against Pakistan and 27 against the West Indies.

I don’t know that you could make a blanket statement that Lillee played consistently against better opposition. Probably played against more even top 6s but less out and out stars

I think there’s definitely arguments you can make for Lillee but did he really bowl against better quality?

He managed to only play 3 tests against the Indian side that had Gavaskar, Vengsarkar, Amarnath, Viswanath, Dev

England had Boycott and Gower but the only other regular who averaged 42+ during Lillee’s career was Dennis Amiss.

Pakistan and the West Indies obviously posed a bigger quandary as far as batsmen went. Though he averaged 30 against Pakistan and 27 against the West Indies.

I don’t know that you could make a blanket statement that Lillee played consistently against better opposition. Probably played against more even top 6s but less out and out stars
I think Lillee's WSC record in isolation would definitely qualify as having bowled consistently against better opposition which IIRC is only marginally worse stat-wise than his overall career record. I think quality of opposition is generally much less of a factor for bowlers than batsmen though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back