Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
So comforting that we can always be certain of enough people to see the past the silver lining. Otherwise we might actually come to enjoy something.
Mate its all silver lining for me. Ed was a powerhouse, and decommissioning a powerhouse is dangerous. Thankfully his departure wasn't thermonuclear. If we have negotiated our damaged position from last year's absolute debacle into this promising set up then we're getting back on track.

I was joking of course but in a way Ed did have a hand here, he brought in Wrightie, and that was a great decision. Ed was no John Elliot, he hasn't poisoned the well and white-anted the club. Makes me proud the way loyalty and goodwill have got us through a bad year, could have been much much worse.

I'm hoping when the time is right Ed will get his statue (at Vic Park, our real spiritual home) to go next to triple Norm Smith medallist Daicos brothers (thats three each) and triple Brownlow medallist (and all time father son provider with 12 sons and daughters at the Pies) Patrick "the baby maker" Lipinski.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mate its all silver lining for me. Ed was a powerhouse, and decommissioning a powerhouse is dangerous. Thankfully his departure wasn't thermonuclear. If we have negotiated our damaged position from last year's absolute debacle into this promising set up then we're getting back on track.

I was joking of course but in a way Ed did have a hand here, he brought in Wrightie, and that was a great decision. Ed was no John Elliot, he hasn't poisoned the well and white-anted the club. Makes me proud the way loyalty and goodwill have got us through a bad year, could have been much much worse.

I'm hoping when the time is right Ed will get his statue (at Vic Park, our real spiritual home) to go next to triple Norm Smith medallist Daicos brothers (thats three each) and triple Brownlow medallist (and all time father son provider with 12 sons and daughters at the Pies) Patrick "the baby maker" Lipinski.
All good I'm not arguing the circumstances I just get a bit twitchy with the constant bitching about the past that goes on around here.

We have come so far and so quickly the persistence of some of clinging on to recriminations of the past gets right up my nose.

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
All good I'm not arguing the circumstances I just get a bit twitchy with the constant bitching about the past that goes on around here.

We have come so far and so quickly the persistence of some of clinging on to recriminations of the past gets right up my nose.
I'm trying to laugh at it. We're big club, we make big mistakes, but we are after the next flag too.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm trying to laugh at it. We're big club, we make big mistakes, but we are after the next flag too.
I've been following the Pies for over half a century now and much of the whimsy has been thrashed out of me in the '60's,'70's and 00's.

What so many can't seem to process is that we are one of 18 clubs jostling for ever dwindling player and coaching resources. The AFL are making even more rules on the run than normal due to Covid and we got caught out in one of them.

To be sure we got caught with our hand in the cookie jar and deserve what we got but anyone who believes it could not have been any one of the other 17 clubs in the normal course of events is fooling themselves.

We've been dealt a harsh lesson and hopefully have learnt it thoroughly.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
I think he's very good at what he does, time will tell if he brings out more tricks when he feels safe in best 22.

I suspect it will become apparent very early on in the pre-season that he is not only in our best 22, but also the addition to our starting midfield which will finally take some of the pressure off Pendles to keep performing at his historically high level in the first midfield group in order for us to win games.

If Lipinski and DeGoey pan out in the midfield as we're hoping they will then I can envision a setup with Pendles and Sidey shifting to the second-string midfield where they can slice up the opposition's second-string midfield and then rest up forward or on the bench. They might only spend 45-50% of game time in the middle most weeks (unless we need to break glass), if everything else goes according to plan.

Last edited:

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I suspect it will become apparent very early on in the pre-season that he is not only in our best 22, but also the addition to our starting midfield which will finally take some of the pressure off Pendles to keep performing at his historically high level in the first midfield group in order for us to win games.

If Lipinski and DeGoey pan out in the midfield as we're hoping they will then I can envision a setup with Pendles and Sidey shifting to the second-string midfield where they can slice up the opposition's second-string midfield and then rest up forward or on the bench. They might only spend 45-50% of game time in the middle most weeks (unless we need to break glass), if everything else goes according to plan.
Fingers crossed all goes well injury wise - we have a young bloke waiting in the wings who copped another of our bloody finger injuries

Reef was recruited for much the same type of solution and has hardly fired a shot in anger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed Jen hopefully he blossoms with opportunity.
Yeah, I think pre-season will be very telling, but I have a good feeling. Some just need more opportunity to thrive. A fresh start with a new coaching panel and voices can't hurt either.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, I think pre-season will be very telling, but I have a good feeling. Some just need more opportunity to thrive. A fresh start with a new coaching panel and voices can't hurt either.
Whatever side of the coaching/administration landscape we come down on the proof of the staleness and lack of direction is in the decisiveness and energy of the rebuild of the mechanisms within the club.
It's good to look forward to the upcoming season with anticipation rather than dread.

11 games this year is not bad in a team stacked with midfield talent and who played off in the grand final. Ed Richards was injured too so I assume someone else may have been missing out of he was available. Struggled to get a game would better describe someone who didn't get a game during the season.
And Treloar just walked into the side. Pretty much when he knew he was off.

28 - Lipinski
29 - Shai Bolton
30 - McLarty

Didn't we have some interest in Shai?
I'm sure I read that, but didn't realise we were so close.

Can we now see why Hine drafts non - bigs.
If Shai had been available?
If Selwood lasted 1 more pick to us, would we still have picked Ben Reid etc?

Yeah, last week Rendell mentioned on Trade Radio that this was one that got away.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back