Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule111

Senior List
Jul 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was in pretty much every email they sent through September. At the bottom of each email was a little blurb saying they would be communicating details to members the week commencing 4th October once the full impact of covid restrictions was known.

Exactly - surely they would have already had several contingencies outlined in the event this, this or that happens? And then after preparing for each eventuality they enact the appropriate one. What a circus.

I work in product management so can make some educated assumptions around what’s going on

• The AFL P&L, like all companies P&L are highly variable and dependant on a number of items. The AFL would’ve been waiting for seasons end as they would’ve had a clearer picture on what revenue they were likely to generate for the remainder of the games, especially the grand final (ticket sales etc)
  • It’s likely they’ve run models based on what they assume the churn rate would be vs the impact of the refund X% churn rate off their base at $x average revenue per member. You tweak the business case to land it in the business favour . For example if they offer us $125 refund each and assumed an extra 2% increase in their churn (let’s call it 1200 members) at $625 a pop that’d be $750k loss. If they give us a refund to entire base of $125 then that’s more like $7.5m (assuming 60k membership base). If they feel the churn is more like 10% that’s $3.75m in year 1 alone and grows over time.
  • Some assumptions would then be made around if people who leave because of their shitful offer would take another membership, most likely at club level so they stay within the sphere of AFL and still spend money into the overall game or do they 100% stop spending.
  • It's the 100% stop spending (and viewing) that they'd be most concerned about. Which is really the members in the 1-5 year membership range who are most likely to churn
  • They’d also be looking to package together an offer for members which wasn’t solely monetary based. My guess is over 50% of the guest passes they gave us last year went unused and therefore not a cost to the bottom line. They’d be looking at all ways possible not to give too much cash away
  • It’s a balancing act as they do need to drive more interest into the game. Short term pain for long term gain but highly dependant on how their books are right now
  • Management will accept lower customer experience for higher revenue. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise (unless it’s a legal or regulatory breach)

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
  • They’d also be looking to package together an offer for members which wasn’t solely monetary based. My guess is over 50% of the guest passes they gave us last year went unused and therefore not a cost to the bottom line. They’d be looking at all ways possible not to give too much cash away

• I think closer to 90% or even higher, when these were offered , I think the assumption was covid would be over , people be vaccinated and minimum crowd restrictions . That was not the case , we had crowd restrictions , buy specific seats , and guest passes couldnt be used , still have vouchers in my draw . Eventually crowds were stopped all together
  • Did anyone use the guest passes?

• I think closer to 90% or even higher, when these were offered , I think the assumption was covid would be over , people be vaccinated and minimum crowd restrictions . That was not the case , we had crowd restrictions , buy specific seats , and guest passes couldnt be used , still have vouchers in my draw . Eventually crowds were stopped all together
  • Did anyone use the guest passes?

As a Crows fan living in Melbourne I didn't even get to use my own pass let alone a guest pass over the last two years.

Even planned a trip to Adelaide Oval but had to buy general admission tickets since I couldn't use the guest passes but then lockdown happened again, couldn't go and couldn't get a refund on the tickets since restrictions to travel because of Covid is not a recognized reason to claim.

Reckon the AFL is trying to get some insider knowledge on what an "opened up" Melbourne AFL world looks like before offering any incentives.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Screenshot_20211012-163837_Chrome.jpg

Here's the full list:
30% discount on your 2022 renewal
To thank our Members for their continued support, we will provide a 30% discount on 2022 renewals to Gold and Silver Members who paid their membership in full in 2021.
Membership price freeze
In acknowledgement of the challenges of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season, AFL Membership prices will remain at 2021 rates for the 2022 season.

Full financial support for your club
Whilst your AFL Membership has been discounted, the full financial contribution from your membership payment has been passed on to your club of support in 2021, and the same will occur in 2022.

Rollover of Value Packs
Any unutilised entitlements from 2021 Value Packs will be rolled over so that Members are able to use them during the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.
Stay tuned...
We are always exploring new ways to provide value to our AFL Members and will remain in communication with you over the coming months as we look forward to 2022.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Feels like a kick in the face.
It's not like we lost only around 30% of the value of our membership in 2021.
More like 80 to 90% for most of us.

Particular kick in the face for Vic-based fans of Dees, Dogs and Cats who played deep into finals with no way the majority of their supporters could be there in person. I'm a Gold member primarily for finals access.

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
I switched to Bronze this year (thankful I did tbh)

Only get a 10% reduction next year. I did get a few guest passes but no mention if they rollover or not

10% discount on your 2022 renewal
To thank our Members for their continued support, we will provide a 10% discount on 2022 renewals to Bronze Members who paid their membership in full in 2021.
Membership price freeze
In acknowledgement of the challenges of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season, AFL Membership prices will remain at 2021 rates for the 2022 season.
Full financial support for your club
Whilst your AFL Membership has been discounted, the full financial contribution from your membership payment has been passed on to your club of support in 2021, and the same will occur in 2022.
Stay tuned...
We are always exploring new ways to provide value to our AFL Members and will remain in communication with you over the coming months as we look forward to 2022.

N9jMY5eyvShc-wrP58XkCN6vjMRXnGoDJyocIdpRZ7kIVmaBWx8zVmZSYUOUe7TuTkfj-nzo5WpwKi4VRqrJGoA8KVMCJE8b_k6GgPNjHqaBfFFvDEQJaW16llPxKMzXxXkFYSjvjf57frjXRQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Particular kick in the face for Vic-based fans of Dees, Dogs and Cats who played deep into finals with no way the majority of their supporters could be there in person. I'm a Gold member primarily for finals access.
I think most of us would consider the finals in themselves worth about 40 to 50% of the value of the membership. Maybe more. It is the biggest reasons many of us took it up decades ago. That is why the 30% in itself just feels like a ******* joke and no real acknowledgement in email that the majority of our membership for 2021 went down the drain for all of us.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't forget us Tigers who couldn't access last years GF yet still paid for the f'kn thing!

CarAttack

Senior List
Apr 28, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Totally agree. As a Cats fan I have paid approx $1k to see 3 games. I have also missed I think 5 Finals games that would have been in Vic ( which is my main reason for membership). 30% is insulting.At the end of the day, and I already knew this but we are nothing but a walking, talking credit cards to this mob.
The thing is, I feel like I have already paid for half of next season’s membership so I will probably be dumb enough to fork out again.
Pretty sure it will be the last year though. I have become accustomed to watching on TV now and can buy a direct club membership to pick and choose the games that suit me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back