2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a very realistic world there Millky. Many might've forgotten just how good a fully fit Rowbottom is, but I have not, and he will only get better. He looked primed to go to another level this year, before he did his knee. Warner is also nearer to his peak physical condition than many realise. I can definitely see the two of them being more than ready to be an inside duo by the end of next year in JPK's absence. It depends on their opportunities though, and not sure if Heeney in the midfield will help or hinder them.
Hopefully Heeney will be the receiver rather than the extractor. Rotating through CBA, Wing, HF. He did the last two very successfully in the second half of the season. Doubt he'll make a big difference to how we use Mills, Parky, Rowy and the Chad.

It'd be a massive test for Longmire to drop Kennedy while he's fit. He's done it before with other players but you could easily make a case that no other player has done anywhere near as much for Longmire's coaching career as Kennedy. They're tight and have been through a lot together.

I agree that on paper it's the best thing for the club to get Warner and Rowbottom as much time in the middle as possible this year and that almost certainly means (without injuries) that Kennedy has to make way, but will be very interesting to see how long that process takes for Longmire to pull the trigger.
Super tough call. The first step is JPK retires as a captain, Mills to replace. Makes "resting" him a lot easier. I hope it happens like that. Unlike with ROK, I don't want to see him in the ressies. Pick and choose his games, use him to rest others, that kind of thing. Maximum dignity. Better than the Dees did with Jones I hope.

Hopefully Heeney will be the receiver rather than the extractor. Rotating through CBA, Wing, HF. He did the last two very successfully in the second half of the season. Doubt he'll make a big difference to how we use Mills, Parky, Rowy and the Chad.

Well I guess we'll see. But if Horse goes with his usual thing of four blokes dominating the CBAs then at least two out of JPK, Parker, Mills, Heeney, Rowbottom and Warner won't be getting much midfield time.

Well I guess we'll see. But if Horse goes with his usual thing of four blokes dominating the CBAs then at least two out of JPK, Parker, Mills, Heeney, Rowbottom and Warner won't be getting much midfield time.
As you say, we'll see. McInerney and Papley were pretty successful experiments. Perhaps there's more to come.

No WAY Wick isn't in our best 22.
Such an important part of how our forward line works, you need players like him no matter the team.

If we were making a real All Australian list Wicks would be on the cusp of selection. The pressure he provides is some of the best in the league.

Wicks is only out because he technically isnt even on our list for next year yet right? Plus I honestly dont know who to drop for him. Probably Florent or Campbell? Is that a win though?

Wicks is only out because he technically isnt even on our list for next year yet right? Plus I honestly dont know who to drop for him. Probably Florent or Campbell? Is that a win though?
Don't see him competing with those two unless they play in the forwards. Campbell possibly but Florent? Nah.
3 small forwards Papley, Wicks, Gulden. All will play. 7 forwards total.
IMO Campbell and Florent are in the midfield group as wingers/outside mids competing with other mids. That will be tricky. 7 mids from JPK, Parker, Mills, Heeney, Rowbottom, Warner, Florent, Campbell and probably McInerney. Who misses? Campbell, JMac (HBF?).
7 defenders. McCartin, Rampe Lloyd, Cunningham, Blakey and 2 more from Melican, O'Riordan, JMac, Fox, Gould, Campbell.

Absolutely it is. Wicks is key to our forward pressure game. More key than Florent and his 20 odd disposals and Campbell (at this stage.)

Florent and Campbell are vying for a spot on the wing IMO and I would take Wicks over both of them in a heartbeat. It may come down to a scenario where it's Florent's ability to get 20-25 touches over Campbell's 15 or so with some elite kicking. I think I would prefer what Campbell could offer, but unlike Florent, he doesn't have the runs on the board so will really have to announce himself over the pre-season to get that chance, as Horse's default will be to stick with Florent.

Making a team requires that you get the best in each position. No point having 22 Dusty Martins if none of them will play pressure forward or defensive mid. Wicks is a better defensive forward in the competition. I would have to find the stat, but his pressure acts have the highest score attached to them in the league. Incredible.

Making a team requires that you get the best in each position. No point having 22 Dusty Martins if none of them will play pressure forward or defensive mid. Wicks is a better defensive forward in the competition. I would have to find the stat, but his pressure acts have the highest score attached to them in the league. Incredible.
found it

99d9d3a825dcccf427f37832dd8be700.jpg

If anyone is still in any doubt of his worth to the side, this statistic spells it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent work Kapers.

I would deadset go as far as to say that Wicks is as important to our team as any of our kids. Suspected it for most of the year, but it wasn't until I watched back all of our wins and noticed how more than any other youngster, the team looked better when Wicks was up to his eyeballs in the play, either through possessions or his work off the ball.

FB: Cunningham - Melican - Rampe
HB: McInerney - McCartin - Lloyd
C: Florent - Mills - Gulden
HF: Heeney - Ladhams - Hayward
FF: Papley - Franklin - McDonald
Foll: Hickey - Parker - Rowbottom
I/C: Blakey - Warner - Wicks - Kennedy

Depth:

Back: O'Riordan, Fox, Gould, O'Connor
Midfield: Campbell, Stephens, Clarke, Taylor
Forward: McLean, Sheather, Bell
Ruck: Amartey, Sinclair, McAndrew

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depth:

Probably very close, though I'd call Amartey a forward and at this stage only Sinkers would be ruck cover. McAndrew way too raw.
We would probably choose though to ruck Ladhams and bring up McLean or Amartey.
Ronke if he's still here.
Be more inclined to play Campbell on the wing but very hard to see who to leave out.
Melican still very borderline.

Depth:

Pretty much what it'll be, if Melican is playing poorly then I'd bring in Fox or Campbell and move Rampe to kpd with Blakey into HB. Loved Blakey from HB, great spoiling and potent in launching an attack.

Probably very close, though I'd call Amartey a forward and at this stage only Sinkers would be ruck cover. McAndrew way too raw.
We would probably choose though to ruck Ladhams and bring up McLean or Amartey.
Ronke if he's still here.
Be more inclined to play Campbell on the wing but very hard to see who to leave out.
Melican still very borderline.
I reckon Amarety is ruck depth, in that he plays second ruck if one of our rucks gets injured over Sinclair IMO. McLean is next in line as far as KPFs go.

I reckon they'll be looking for a way to play Campbell on the wing or HHF to feed into F50. Florent probably owns the other wing. JMac is also in that scene. Possibly Blakey as well.
Someone is going to be disappointed.
BIG preseason coming up.

I reckon they'll be looking for a way to play Campbell on the wing or HHF to feed into F50. Florent probably owns the other wing. JMac is also in that scene. Possibly Blakey as well.
Someone is going to be disappointed.
BIG preseason coming up.

Injuries/form/rest etc. They'll get opportunities.

Depth:

Our forward line is sexy af

Our forward line is sexy af
Plenty of opportunity to move the pieces around and pull defences apart. Rotating dangerous players through. Suspect the bigs will be more like Ladhams from the square (like McLean) with Buddy and McDonald roaming. Papley might have an even better year! Hayward and Heeney. Tremendous marking power if we get our delivery right.

Depth:

I think that you have pretty well nailed it assuming everyone is available.
The only changes I would make to that line-up would be Blakey taking J Mac's spot at half back. J Mac going to the wing with Florent then going to the bench. Although the forward 6 can at times all start within a 20 meter circle, I feel more comfortable with Ladhams in the pocket, McDonald at FF and Bud at CHF.
It is so good to see the depth we now have and everyone knowing that they will need to perform week in and week out as there are plenty of others waiting in the wings. We haven't been able to say that for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back