The off topic thread 5.0

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
This as well.

As it currently stands society does not encourage people to have children younger and anything which might go a way to correct those would be met with significant backlash.

This is true. It will take a strong leader to make changes in order to encourage younger families. Its all too easy atm for rich investors to snap up multiple properties with generous negative gearing allowances hence our inflated housing market.

All I am saying is if nothing changes we will have significant issues as a country in 30 to 40 years time. I know thats way off down the line but to address this requires action in the near future IMO. I dont have the answer on how.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Im my uneducated opinion I would think the age of couples having kids is linked to housing prices. Country couples are still have young family's and I guess mortgages allow that in the bush.

Yes I think there’s a correlation between them for sure. I know many friends who have got married, purchased a house and started a family all within a (relatively) short space of time.

Those are significant life events within a year or two and come with considerable ramifications (in terms of financial and other). Especially in Melbourne or Sydney etc with much higher average house prices.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yes I think there’s a correlation between them for sure. I know many friends who have got married, purchased a house and started a family all within a (relatively) short space of time.

Those are significant life events within a year or two and come with considerable ramifications (in terms of financial and other). Especially in Melbourne or Sydney etc with much higher average house prices.

I did all 3 things between age 28 and 30 lol was a stressful time.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Did 2 of the 3 in the space of 24 months (from planning wedding through to buying place)

Would be very difficult to do all 3 these days in a capital city. I/we were fortunate as we built a home in 2009 on the back end of the GFC and managed to build a 3 BBR / 2 bathroom house with double garage for 370k inc land (now worth 720k). Paid stamp duty only on the land being an off the plan development and we also got a FHOG of 25k. Once our loan was funded we had a surplus of 10k and that went all towards our wedding pretty much (plus another 5k on top in savings). Family started 9 months after our wedding :D:D

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
We kind of did things backwards, had 2 kids, then bought a house and then got married with starting a business in the middle haha. All before I was 24.

Crazy to think we only paid 80k for our first house(early 2000s). We nearly stayed in the City and were going to buy in bayside Parkdale for 125K which was a nice 3 bedroom house probably work close to a mil now. Feel sorry for kids with the prices nowadays.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
We kind of did things backwards, had 2 kids, then bought a house and then got married with starting a business in the middle haha. All before I was 24.

Crazy to think we only paid 80k for our first house(early 2000s). We nearly stayed in the City and were going to buy in bayside Parkdale for 125K which was a nice 3 bedroom house probably work close to a mil now. Feel sorry for kids with the prices nowadays.

I am worried about how my kids will get into the housing market. Once they hit 25 board will be increasing rapidly every year if they are working full time by that stage!!

I am worried about how my kids will get into the housing market. Once they hit 25 board will be increasing rapidly every year if they are working full time by that stage!!

Why?

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
We bought our first place in 2016 (Mrs was only 22), I proposed in 2017, got married 2019 and bought our land in 2019 too.

Congrats mate hope you have success starting a family.

22 very young to have your first place!

My bro is on the other end of the scale. Has his own house in Canberra + 4 investments all over Australia. He keeps talking about retiring at 50 (early 40s now), I keep telling him you should enjoy life while you are young(ish). Has only had the odd girlfriend here and there, never considered starting a family.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo

Wouldn't you be better off letting them save that board money towards a deposit?

Thankfully a lot women have education opportunities these days. My two daughters are in their 20s, years of training and now starting off their careers. Neither expect to have kids by at least 30 as their male partners don't intend to halt their careers to raise kids.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wouldn't you be better off letting them save that board money towards a deposit?

Ill be encouraging them to be independent from 25 onwards if they have full time jobs by then. Different story if they are still doing Uni.

I have set up a trust for each of my kids that can only be accessed for buying a house or medical treatment if it is needed so that will be available to them if they want to buy a house.

Thankfully a lot women have education opportunities these days. My two daughters are in their 20s, years of training and now starting off their careers. Neither expect to have kids by at least 30 as their male partners don't intend to halt their careers to raise kids.
Well I'm glad there are no points for guessing other users' ages as I'd be way ******* off here.

Ill be encouraging them to be independent from 25 onwards if they have full time jobs by then. Different story if they are still doing Uni.

I have set up a trust for each of my kids that can only be accessed for buying a house or medical treatment if it is needed so that will be available to them if they want to buy a house.

Encouraging them to be independent doesn't really fly given we're literally talking about how ridiculously expensive places are to buy these days. "Teaching them lessons" is all well and good but there are ways to do that other than to take their money to make it harder for them to save.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Encouraging them to be independent doesn't really fly given we're literally talking about how ridiculously expensive places are to buy these days. "Teaching them lessons" is all well and good but there are ways to do that other than to take their money to make it harder for them to save.

I've got a trust set up for them to help them purchase a house. With current returns by the time they are 25 (oldest one currently 11) each of my 3 kids will have a minimum of 40k to help them buy a house. For me, I will be encouraging my kids to be independent from 25 years of age and onwards if they are working in full time jobs, IMO it's a healthy thing to do. As I said if they're still studying for degrees and masters different story.

I've got a trust set up for them to help them purchase a house. With current returns by the time they are 25 (oldest one currently 11) each of my 3 kids will have a minimum of 40k to help them buy a house. For me, I will be encouraging my kids to be independent from 25 years of age and onwards if they are working in full time jobs, IMO it's a healthy thing to do. As I said if they're still studying for degrees and masters different story.

Seems a bit counter intuitive to teach them to be independent only for them to be able to rely on the trust to buy a place. Although in saying that $40k in 14 years time won't help them all that much the way prices are going!

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seems a bit counter intuitive to teach them to be independent only for them to be able to rely on the trust to buy a place. Although in saying that $40k in 14 years time won't help them all that much the way prices are going!

40k probably won't be that much in 14 years time definitely!! That's the minimum projected return at the moment, with a bit of luck the return could be much more.

My kids won't be aware of the trust until they are looking to buy a property. For anyone that has kids I highly recommend setting up a trust as a small investment now brings a very healthy return long term.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Congrats mate hope you have success starting a family.

22 very young to have your first place!

My bro is on the other end of the scale. Has his own house in Canberra + 4 investments all over Australia. He keeps talking about retiring at 50 (early 40s now), I keep telling him you should enjoy life while you are young(ish). Has only had the odd girlfriend here and there, never considered starting a family.
There's six years between us, but yeah still very good for someone of her age to achieve what she has.

Thanks, we were trying naturally but to no avail. Sorting out IVF stuff at the moment.

Im my uneducated opinion I would think the age of couples having kids is linked to housing prices. Country couples are still have young family's and I guess mortgages allow that in the bush.
I agree but would also add I think its also more a focus on career and travel opportunities (pre covid) which is pushing back timeframes for having kids.

I have only just got in the housing market now (almost 31), I don't think starting a family is in the next few years either

Back