Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Once upon a time the worst thing a player could do was lay hands on an ump. Reinforced by Carman and Williams penalties many years apart.

Then along comes Heath Shaw grabbing an ump by the arm and a pissy little sentence that trivialised umpire contact.

Now it seems to be heading back towards a cardinal sin.

Make up your minds you useless pack of campaigners.

The quarter was over so play was OVER.
He walked toward the umpire from a long way away while having an animated conversation.
He wasn't coerced or shuffled into the umpire and the umpire didn't move into his path.
He DELIBERATELY shouldered past the umpire instigating contact.

YOU DON'T TOUCH UMPIRES DELIBERATELY!!!!!!
You certainly don't shoulder past them at qtr or half time.

6 weeks, take it and get on with it. Oh and TG you are too good a player and important to your team to be continually pushing the limits and being a flog.
Seems Toby enjoys being a flog more than he enjoys playing footy.

Once upon a time the worst thing a player could do was lay hands on an ump. Reinforced by Carman and Williams penalties many years apart.

Then along comes Heath Shaw grabbing an ump by the arm and a pissy little sentence that trivialised umpire contact.

Now it seems to be heading back towards a cardinal sin.

Make up your minds you useless pack of campaigners.
the afl has become piss-weak in handing out penalties because they think the great unwashed will have a whinge.

at one point they'd give suspensions to brownlow favourites because they deserved it, and it was their own bad luck. nowadays they instead literally change the rules (ala fyfe) to prevent that from happening, and the afl controlled media have month long pr hissy fits every year at the thought of it happening again.

its the same with this. they were too scared to punish umpire contact properly because they were worried the bogans from the suburbs and in the media would have a sook about how 'it wasnt that big a deal'...well give an inch and they'll take a mile, and now it's lead to this.

put this in the rules: touch an umpire, and its a free kick against, no interpretation allowed. and if its in-between quarters, its a set shot from the top of the square at the start of the next. and tell the umpires that if on review they chose not to pay one, they arent umpiring the next week. give no wiggle room and watch how quickly it stops.

I don't think anyone is saying it should have been less than 6. I certainly am not

Just that they applied toby tax after giving neale a lettuce leaf tap

This so called "Toby Tax" gets applied to every player who has been reported/cited as many times as he has. It's the same way they dealt with Dermie, Rhys-Jones, Williams, etc.

He has been treated absolutely fairly given his record.

This so called "Toby Tax" gets applied to every player who has been reported/cited as many times as he has. It's the same way they dealt with Dermie, Rhys-Jones, Williams, etc.

He has been treated absolutely fairly given his record.
id agree with whateley that he's probably been treated leniently overall

"Toby Tax" is a crock of sh*t.

It's like a criminal repeat offender complaining that the system has "got it in for him", when in fact he just keeps on offending and not showing any sign of remorse.
"you gave me x punishment the last 2 times i did the same thing, why are you giving me a worse punishment this time?"

As far as I'm aware, it is a national policy. That means all football- Community Football to the big league

This doesn't apply at AFL level.

Pay-walled article so I can't read it in full but the by-line is:

AFL: We don’t need a life ban
THE AFL says the 16-game suspension rule which ended Ali Fahour’s suburban footy career is not required at the elite level. Fahour was slapped with a lifetime ban by the Northern Football League tribunal last week because his 14-week penalty lifted his tribunal record above the threshold enforced by AFL Victoria.

Heraldsun.com.au | Subscribe to the Herald Sun for exclusive stories

I don't think anyone is saying it should have been less than 6. I certainly am not

Just that they applied toby tax after giving neale a lettuce leaf tap
Stop trying to reinvent history. Thats EXACTLY what youve been saying throughout this thread by comparing what Toby did with Neale. Youre still tryiig it on, "Toby Tax" what a crock of shite. Repeat offender finally gets pinged, "Aww but, Geez, you let me get away with stuff before....."
Kicks people in the face, wet lettuce leaf
Gouges eyes, wet lettuce leaf
Spits, ...........

Hes a grub, a blight on the game. Could be a star, skilful but way too angry and stupid. And you? Defending him? No better.

Stop trying to reinvent history. Thats EXACTLY what youve been saying throughout this thread by comparing what Toby did with Neale. Youre still tryiig it on, "Toby Tax" what a crock of sh*te. Repeat offender finally gets pinged, "Aww but, Geez, you let me get away with stuff before....."
Kicks people in the face, wet lettuce leaf
Gouges eyes, wet lettuce leaf
Spits, ...........

Hes a grub, a blight on the game. Could be a star, skilful but way too angry and stupid. And you? Defending him? No better.
Not defending him, he deserves the 6 weeks

Neale deserved it to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hence the Toby Tax...
So Greene is the first player to ever have their long list of priors considered in deciding the punishment for their latest infringement? This is what you’re saying?

So Greene is the first player to ever have their long list of priors considered in deciding the punishment for their latest infringement? This is what you’re saying?
They didn't bring the priors in it

If they wanted to stamp intentional umpire contact out of the game it should have started at 6 weeks for Neale

Not just choose to be tough on it when it is Toby Greene

Hence the Toby Tax...

It's not a bloody "Toby Tax" though.

It's a loading imposed on every player as they build a MRP record. "Toby Tax" implies that he is being singled out and treated unfairly. He isn't. So for you to say that Neale deserved the same penalty is incorrect. And you know it.

If I steal my first car and get charged, it's a lighter sanction than if I steal a car, then break into a house a month later, steal another car the following month, commit willful damage the month after, assault the following year and then show up in court on another car theft charge three months later.

How can you not see that?

If they wanted to stamp intentional umpire contact out of the game it should have started at 6 weeks for Neale

Not just choose to be tough on it when it is Toby Greene

Again, garbage.

They always look at priors when assessing penalty. Priors come in after a decision of guilt or innocence is determined. Not before.

Then general "Toby Tax" bullshit rather than this specific "Toby Tax" bullshit.

Barelling into an umpire outside of play is NOT the same as:

sdrf59xP.jpg

Give it up. You're being boring now dude.

Then general "Toby Tax" bullshit rather than this specific "Toby Tax" bullshit.

Barelling into an umpire outside of play is NOT the same as:

View attachment 1259223

Give it up. You're being boring now dude.
Play the footage not the still. He went after the umpire to make that contact because he missed out on a free kick

They need to stamp intentional contact with umpires out of the game not pick and choose based on who is the offender

Play the footage not the still. He went after the umpire to make that contact because he missed out on a free kick

They need to stamp intentional contact with umpires out of the game not pick and choose based on who is the offender

So you're okay with recidivists being treated the same as first time offenders?

Would just like the AFL to rub the action out not pick and choose the penalty based on the offender like we see with head hits

That’s what they did. Greene’s action was significantly worse than Neale’s. Therefore the punishment was much more significant, I personally think that Neale should have gotten a week but he was still punished.

There’s no picking and choosing based on who did it here, Greene’s action was rightly assessed as worse and given a harsher penalty.

Btw repeat offenders absolutely should be given harsher penalties. It’s perfectly fair that if you continually * up and don’t attempt to learn and improve you should be treated more harshly than a first offender.

Would just like the AFL to rub the action out not pick and choose the penalty based on the offender like we see with head hits
Yeah like that time Neale chased down that umpire in his chariot, speared him in the thigh, wheeled back, dismounted and beheaded the maggot.

Back