Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

The only real reason I can see the benefit of going back to someone like Khawaja as a stop gap opener is to ease Pucovski in to test cricket down the order. I'm of the opinion that Puc will end up in the middle order in the test side anyway eventually provided we can find an opener of 2 over the coming years.

How does that happen? Smith and Lab are young and Green will be at 5 for the next decade. It makes sense him being an opener long term. Now whether I'd bat him 6 for a couple of years before him opening is a completely different thing

How does that happen? Smith and Lab aren't young and Green will be at 5 for the next decade. It makes sense him being an opener long term. Now whether I'd bat him 6 for a couple of years before him opening is a completely different thing
Happy for him and Green at 5 and 6 in either order. My crystal ball predicts Puc will be our 4 whenever Smith moves on

Happy for him and Green at 5 and 6 in either order

Too low. He's a top 3, 4 at worst bat. There isn't a position at 3-4 available for the next 4-5 years. Makes sense him opening, did look comfortable opening the batting.

Too low. He's a top 3, 4 at worst bat. There isn't a position at 3-4 available for the next 4-5 years. Makes sense him opening, did look comfortable opening the batting.
Hmm I don't really agree there is such thing as too low in a first class setup, more often than not guys in that spot end up facing the new ball anyway and imo, Puc's game is attacking enough to be able to adapt to situations that may see him needing to push the game along. We have batted plenty of top 4 bats at 5 or 6 for extended periods in the past. Like I said though, unless we find some long term openers in the next few years this probably won't be a long term option anyway.

I think this idea mostly appeals to me because it means I won't need to see Head and Harris getting starts before knicking off slashing at balls 2 foot outside off stump.

Hmm I don't really agree there is such thing as too low in a first class setup, more often than not guys in that spot end up facing the new ball anyway and imo, Puc's game is attacking enough to be able to adapt to situations that may see him needing to push the game along. We have batted plenty of top 4 bats at 5 or 6 for extended periods in the past. Like I said though, unless we find some long term openers in the next few years this probably won't be a long term option anyway.

I think this idea mostly appeals to me because it means I won't need to see Head and Harris getting starts before knicking off slashing at balls 2 foot outside off stump.

Problem is you are robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak. I agree with Harris and Head not being picked

Problem is you are robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak. I agree with Harris and Head not being picked

I think we've had this discussion before Luke with both Harris and Head having clearly the talent to be excellent test batsmen, but not the application or mindset required.
I would still pick either ahead of Khawaja though and although I'd like to see Warner gone, no one is really pushing for his spot, so last Ashes for him. Accordingly assuming all available and fit, physically and mentally, the batting order would be:
Warner
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Paine
Bowlers
I would also assume if Pattinson is fit, he would play ahead of Starc..?

Last edited:
I think we'd had this discussion before Luke with both Harris and Head having clearly the talent to be excellent test batsmen, but not the application or mindset required.
I would still pick either ahead of Khawaja though and although I'd like to see Warner gone, no one is really pushing for his spot, so last Ashes for him. Accordingly assuming all available and fit, physically and mentally the batting order would be:
Warner
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Paine
Bowlers

Head in the side…watch him get 25 then Nick off to 2nd slip on repeat the whole series. It’s a waste of time he’s an absolute tease

Head in the side…watch him get 25 then Nick off to 2nd slip on repeat the whole series. It’s a waste of time he’s an absolute tease

If Street makes a few more runs, I'd have him in ahead of Head at 6. Get settled, get some runs under the belt and then up to opener when Warner finishes at the end of the summer.

If Street makes a few more runs, I'd have him in ahead of Head at 6. Get settled, get some runs under the belt and then up to opener when Warner finishes at the end of the summer.

Just hate the idea of putting an opener at 6, but Street looks a test player. But people have to be careful it’s one innings on a road that he’s scored this season.

Just hate the idea of putting an opener at 6, but Street looks a test player. But people have to be careful it’s one innings on a road that he’s scored this season.
Also made a 100 4 innings or so ago at the WACA. Last 4 scores are 117, 59, 46 and 143. Probably needs a similar shield run to what Harris had prior to his test debut to really put his name up in lights though.

One other worthy thing to note is that 2 of his 4 100's (plus a couple of his 50's i think) were at the Gabba, certainly not many openers around at the moment that would have made multiple 100's at the Gabba in the last 3 or 4 years

Also made a 100 4 innings or so ago at the WACA. Last 4 scores are 117, 59, 46 and 143.

One other worthy thing to note is that 2 of his 4 100's (plus a couple of his 50's i think) were at the Gabba, certainly not many openers around at the moment that would have made multiple 100's at the Gabba in the last 3 or 4 years
Yeah he really should be given a chance this summer against what may be the weakest English touring side in years.

Also made a 100 4 innings or so ago at the WACA. Last 4 scores are 117, 59, 46 and 143. Probably needs a similar shield run to what Harris had prior to his test debut to really put his name up in lights though.

I’d be more than happy him being in and around the squad don’t get me wrong. Just think he needs a massive season not just a few scores. Probably needs to show he can shift gears too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be more than happy him being in and around the squad don’t get me wrong. Just think he needs a massive season not just a few scores. Probably needs to show he can shift gears too.

Be great to find any kid with the mental fortitude and application required for test batting - a batsmen that understands how to build an innings by pushing the ball around for one and two's with the occasional boundary from bad ball's - rather than an equally talented batsmen that 'look to play some expansive risky shots just to get on the highlights reel before lunch..!'

Frustrating thing about Head is - if he can make 25, he can make 50 and then 100 - he just needs to keep his namesake when reaching the early targets...

Last edited:
Be great to find any kid with the mental fortitude and application required for test batting - a batsmen that understands how to build an innings by pushing the ball around for one and two's with the occasional boundary from bad ball's - rather than equally talented batsmen that 'look to play some expansive risky shots just to get on the highlights reel before lunch..!'

Frustrating thing about Head is - if he can make 25, he can make 50 and then 100 - he just needs to keep his namesake when reaching the early targets...

Good article in The Roar about Street, noting his propensity to soak up balls and bat long (comparing him in approach to Pujara):

I don’t get why Starc is likely to be a walk up start. Probably wouldn’t make my squad any more based on merit.
They want a left-armer, and Starc has a reputation. If Joel Paris can do a decent job in the pre-Ashes Shield games, he would probably be my preference if a left-armer counts as the "variety" and Starc doesn't show form.
I wasn't sold on Paris a couple of years back, not that I didn't think he could make it but a few were pushing him before he was ready IMO. Last summer was good so if he can back that up then he has to be right in the frame.

I wonder if Broad and Anderson will still be England's main bowlers when they are in their 40's, we'll find out soon i guess. :D:D

Broad in the walking frame would still get Warner out lol

Be great to find any kid with the mental fortitude and application required for test batting - a batsmen that understands how to build an innings by pushing the ball around for one and two's with the occasional boundary from bad ball's - rather than an equally talented batsmen that 'look to play some expansive risky shots just to get on the highlights reel before lunch..!'

I feel like I was saying this all of last summer too but I think saying Heads propensity to get out for a middling score is a mindset thing is an easy leap to make but I think its a bit of a fallacy. Its more to do with his strengths and weaknesses as a batsman.

Where most batsman are most suspectible around off stump which improves as they get into their innings, Head's strength square outside off is also his biggest weakness. It's why he's almost as likely to get out for 40 as he is for 1.

I don't necessarily think it's that bad a thing in this current Australian batting line up that have a lot of players who are either feast or famine.

Well he is scoring runs atm followed up his 160 against WA with a One day hundred 100 off 60 odd balls against QLD

Hopefully if he does get picked he can continue his form into the test arena

Overs or under on the tease averaging more than 20 this summer? I'll take unders

Last edited:
Well if he does play lets hope he can continue his good form ....

I'd hope I can get with Margot Robbie, we both know neither will happen! Head is just the modern day Shaun Marsh, too good for Shield but a tease at test level. Reminds me of Graham Hick!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back