QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

that or his boy isn't in their plans for 2022! (which would be surprising)

Probably did see first hand how they treat local kids with my own lad. And if any QAFL Club treated kids like that they would get smashed by everyone involved.

Not sure Southport have much credibility amongst southern clubs and due to Covid probably didn’t get a chance to play better equipped VFL sides like Geelong, Bulldog’s, Casey etc due to Covid.

Beat Carlton by a point who finished down the table and lost to GWS who were bottom end. Bashed up Aspley, Lions and Suns two or three times each which really covered up cracks in their playing list.

I feel my young bloke wasted a year but you learn from your decisions and move on. Funny how Southport don’t rate him but several SA and other VFL Clubs are pursuing him. And he wasn’t only one either.

So it looks like for him a QLD kid you have to move interstate to play at a higher level. So to me Southport not doing any good for QLD kids coming through. They more interested in AFL delisted players that have had their opportunity. That’s their decision as a club which is fine, but why AFLQ support them is wrong in my opinion.

100% agree.

When they were NEAFL - not a bad place to send kids for opportunity, but now they have completely lost their way. How many Queenslanders even on their list?

If they get any sort of funding from AFLQ it should be removed, as they do absolutely zero for QLD footy development.

100% agree.

When they were NEAFL - not a bad place to send kids for opportunity, but now they have completely lost their way. How many Queenslanders even on their list?

If they get any sort of funding from AFLQ it should be removed, as they do absolutely zero for QLD footy development.

If they do then there should be a requirement to have in their team a certain number of 18/19 yr old local kids who are still in the draftable parameters. Unfortunately I think all the Qld NEAFL clubs lost their way at times in a quest to remain competitive - which is fine but the list management tended to suggest that winning a hollow premiership was more important than getting players onto AFL lists.

Croad is the best ruckman in the comp . Everytime Ive seen him play he has been so influential,
Croady ,, we at Broady are desperate for a big man like you , so come and play for us please ...lol

Simpson is the best big man in the comp, its an absolute mystery why he hasn't had an AFL opportunity.

Thats a comment that really can be said but without any knowledge of a clubs financial situation ... for me Palmy went thru a golden era of a incredible list with great experience and over the past 2 seasons so many of there guns have retired like Emblem, Derrick ,Anthony , Thynee and Cornish to Wang Rovers just to mention a few off the cuff. They are in a rebuild phrase and with their connection to a strong juniors program Im sure they will be right up there shortly ..must say, they were not to far off the pace this season

Travesty that they didn't play finals. Had played 1 less game than everyone above them, only 4 points out of the 6 and hadn't played either of the bottom 2 sides yet! Looking at the draw, couldn't see them finishing lower than 5th

Simpson is the best big man in the comp, its an absolute mystery why he hasn't had an AFL opportunity.

Correct - he ticks every box where as most blokes miss at least one.

He is just a very casual sort of bloke Thommo. He came across from Nambour as an 18yr old approx 2013 simply because his then gf was the daughter of the maroochy TM in the Colts! Not because he wanted to step up in standard.
He played on a wing (bc Jed Turner was doing a reasonable job playing in the ruck) as an 18yr old and could run like the wind. Was incredibly athletic. I reckon he missed opportunity at Academy level simply bc he probably couldn't be stuffed. The club endeavoured to get him to head to Brisbane and play for Aspley and in fact he did for a pre Xmas period I think but once again, couldn't be stuffed. He simply has no ambition when it comes to his footy.
If Maroochy hadn't stepped up to QAFL level Simmo would still be playing at Div 1 level bc he loves playing with mates.

Gets paid massive unders considering what I have heard far lesser)footballers receive but he makes up with by being a regular in the after match awards! He is just a great fella. Very unassuming. Won another club B&F on the weekend (which he wasnt there to collect :) ) and is basically one of the best players to have come out of the SC in 50 years imo. What his casual personality belies is a fierce competitive streak. Probably shouldn't have played against Labrador in the prelim due to a severe cork on his hip and just one tough hombre.

I don't care where other blokes have played their footy or what they have done, Simpson is the best ruck.

Travesty that they didn't play finals. Had played 1 less game than everyone above them, only 4 points out of the 6 and hadn't played either of the bottom 2 sides yet! Looking at the draw, couldn't see them finishing lower than 5th
[/QUOTE]

Ironically probably should have played finals at Maroochydore's expense!

Myles Poholke to Noosa. Big get.

Yes very pleased about getting Myles for 2022.Quality bloke and footballer only 23 and just wanted a climate change.Have a few of us with pretty close ties to the mpnfl and in particular Sorrento so that made it easier.Obviously coming from a very long way back so to recruits of this ilk will certainly help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So to me Southport not doing any good for QLD kids coming through. They more interested in AFL delisted players that have had their opportunity. That’s their decision as a club which is fine, but why AFLQ support them is wrong in my opinion.
You only have to compare the two most recent decades and look at the players Southport produced while in the QAFL and had a proper development pathway vs in the NEAFL/VFL when their juniors and reserves teams were compromised/non existent:

2000-2009
  • Nick Riewoldt - 2000 Pick #1
  • Daniel Merrett - 2002 Pick #30
  • Andrew Raines - 2003 Pick #76
  • Brad Moran - 2004 Pick #58
  • Leigh Ryswyk - 2004 rookie
  • Sam Gilbert - 2005 Pick #33
  • Hadyn Kiel - 2005 rookie
  • Brent Renouf - 2006 Pick #24
  • Kurt Tippett - 2006 Pick #32
  • Jesse White - 2006 Pick 78
  • Joel Tippett - 2006 rookie
  • Dayne Beams - 2008 Pick #29
  • Broc McCauley - 2009 rookie
2010-2019
  • Marc Lock - 2010 Suns local access
  • Jack Stanlake - 2010 Suns local access
  • Rory Thompson - 2010 Suns local access
  • Lachie Weller - 2014 Pick #13
  • Tom Wilkinson - 2018 rookie

Stark difference. 2000-2009 is an extremely impressive decade when you look at all the names listed and 2010 was their final year in the QAFL so there is a little carry over but 2011-2019 was really disappointing with the only notable name being Lachie Weller and even then he was actually a Broadbeach junior that was forced to play for Southport in his last junior season due to the competition restructuring.

It's best for Queensland footy for Southport to return to the QAFL so they get their development pathway back and produce AFL footballers. Unfortunately for Queensland footy, the Sharks have greater aspirations than that and will do all they can to retain their spot in the VFL.

Just to mention, he and Croad are the best ruckman in the comp but they are not of AFL ability .

simpson and Croad are excellent players but I’d rate Thurlow and Brayden Crossley ahead of them so not sure how they’d go even at VFL level let alone AFL.

Croad will be missed by Palmy though no doubt but I’ve heard they are getting Cornish and Tom Thynne back which will obviously help

simpson and Croad are excellent players but I’d rate Thurlow and Brayden Crossley ahead of them so not sure how they’d go even at VFL level let alone AFL.

Croad will be missed by Palmy though no doubt but I’ve heard they are getting Cornish and Tom Thynne back which will obviously help
Simpson not tall enough for AFL ruck role these days.

You only have to compare the two most recent decades and look at the players Southport produced while in the QAFL and had a proper development pathway vs in the NEAFL/VFL when their juniors and reserves teams were compromised/non existent:

2000-2009
  • Nick Riewoldt - 2000 Pick #1
  • Daniel Merrett - 2002 Pick #30
  • Andrew Raines - 2003 Pick #76
  • Brad Moran - 2004 Pick #58
  • Leigh Ryswyk - 2004 rookie
  • Sam Gilbert - 2005 Pick #33
  • Hadyn Kiel - 2005 rookie
  • Brent Renouf - 2006 Pick #24
  • Kurt Tippett - 2006 Pick #32
  • Jesse White - 2006 Pick 78
  • Joel Tippett - 2006 rookie
  • Dayne Beams - 2008 Pick #29
  • Broc McCauley - 2009 rookie
2010-2019
  • Marc Lock - 2010 Suns local access
  • Jack Stanlake - 2010 Suns local access
  • Rory Thompson - 2010 Suns local access
  • Lachie Weller - 2014 Pick #13
  • Tom Wilkinson - 2018 rookie

Stark difference. 2000-2009 is an extremely impressive decade when you look at all the names listed and 2010 was their final year in the QAFL so there is a little carry over but 2011-2019 was really disappointing with the only notable name being Lachie Weller and even then he was actually a Broadbeach junior that was forced to play for Southport in his last junior season due to the competition restructuring.

It's best for Queensland footy for Southport to return to the QAFL so they get their development pathway back and produce AFL footballers. Unfortunately for Queensland footy, the Sharks have greater aspirations than that and will do all they can to retain their spot in the VFL.

Claiming Reiwolt, Merrett, Raines and Gilbert as examples draws a very long bow as well. Probably others too.

Reiwolt was a gun from Tassie, that played at Broady and then had 1 year at Southport - they hardly developed him, he was the finished product.

Merrett was a kid that found footy at 17, played at Surfers and played less than 5 games for Southport ever.

Same goes for Lachie Weller, he moved because his brother Mav was at the Suns - he was an AIS Academy kid before even moving to QLD - Southport did zero development of his footy.

etc etc

Claiming Reiwolt, Merrett, Raines and Gilbert as examples draws a very long bow as well. Probably others too.

Reiwolt was a gun from Tassie, that played at Broady and then had 1 year at Southport - they hardly developed him, he was the finished product.

Merrett was a kid that found footy at 17, played at Surfers and played less than 5 games for Southport ever.

Same goes for Lachie Weller, he moved because his brother Mav was at the Suns - he was an AIS Academy kid before even moving to QLD - Southport did zero development of his footy.

etc etc
I didn't realise that Southport's existence was about how many AFL players they produced. I thought that was the charter of the Academies

Yep those two boys are returning which will be a huge boost getting their two best players back. Hopefully a few others who didn’t play this year are lured back. We got a lot of games into young boys this year which will be a great benefit going into the new season

I didn't realise that Southport's existence was about how many AFL players they produced. I thought that was the charter of the Academies

Why would you play at NEAFL level if it wasn't?? No other reason. I reckon you can chew gum and walk at same time. Many seem to be able to do so.

And back prior to Academies you would think that there should be something coming out of a club that size and with so many resources. It isn't a great result that drafting history when Miller puts it into that context. Caloundra for example would have had just as many, if not more.

Saw Simmo play against Thurlow and although a good battle, reckon he had him in too many areas outside of just pure hit outs.

etc etc
Broadbeach took them to court over the Riewoldt move

Remove this Banner Ad

Back