Goulburn Valley FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems on face value it was a good idea, but sounds like the clubs have been given an inch and have taken a mile, maybe it needs to be tightened to a certain age eg 21.

I agree I think the points system is a good idea, people tend to forget that metro clubs were outbidding every country club. I think it needs to be reviewed though, I'd like to see clubs need to have X amount of 1 point players, eg Kyabram need to have 15, I point players, how many points they get with other 7 who cares, as long as their within the salary.

Salary should be 100k for metro and the further out of Melbourne or more remote you are, you get an additional salary to pay for travel costs, up to 20k.

Also there should be stricter rules of the ammos and their points, what they can get away with, because Gil, Andrew Dillion etc are old boys is unbelievable

Spot on Ultra… it to support the minor clubs who don’t have junior under age below U18s ; not the other way round. So these small towns often have larger towns like Ky where kids start in U14s. This ensure the smaller league clubs aren’t penalised by having to recruit out of big towns like Ky. Many of the Lancy, Gig and Stanhope players first started in Ky Under 14s. So recruiting locals who started in Ky would penalise them points wise. The hard part is they can only nominate one town. Merrigum nominated Tatura but. Any of their players are from Ky juniors, so I believe their points are more! Glad to be corrected if a few statements here misleading.
Just an over rider for those who don’t yet know, I’m one of the few posters on here who is a fan of the point system, just not how it’s managed. I won’t go over my reasons again. A few of us have decided to respectfully agree to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It seems on face value it was a good idea, but sounds like the clubs have been given an inch and have taken a mile, maybe it needs to be tightened to a certain age eg 21.

I agree I think the points system is a good idea, people tend to forget that metro clubs were outbidding every country club. I think it needs to be reviewed though, I'd like to see clubs need to have X amount of 1 point players, eg Kyabram need to have 15, I point players, how many points they get with other 7 who cares, as long as their within the salary.

Salary should be 100k for metro and the further out of Melbourne or more remote you are, you get an additional salary to pay for travel costs, up to 20k.

Also there should be stricter rules of the ammos and their points, what they can get away with, because Gil, Andrew Dillion etc are old boys is unbelievable
True but from what bootz has said it was for the benefit of under age footy where the points system isn't an issue, not senior footy.. am I right bootz?? 😁. If a club doesn't have U14/16 then yes then it is of value to try and get players back to play U18s. But if the player has played U18s, at say United, and then wants to go to Shepp East, then he shouldn't be a one pointer.

True but from what bootz has said it was for the benefit of under age footy where the points system isn't an issue, not senior footy.. am I right bootz?? . If a club doesn't have U14/16 then yes then it is of value to try and get players back to play U18s. But if the player has played U18s, at say United, and then wants to go to Shepp East, then he shouldn't be a one pointer.

Senior clubs can recruit senior players for one point if they played junior football at that nominated club. Eg Lancy get Ky players for 1 point if the Ky players played Jnr footy for Kyabram.

Senior clubs can recruit senior players for one point if they played junior football at that nominated club. Eg Lancy get Ky players for 1 point if the Ky players played Jnr footy for Kyabram.

We all have our opinions on this. However, a system that has seen very good players sit out finals is not what we want. The GV was a much stronger league pre points and salary caps. Unless a club is well administered it makes no difference. Only a couple of years back, Ky used less points in a match against the bottom team Swans. The points/salary cap is certainly not going to help Shepp United in it current situation.Since its inception it has created 'super' teams that dominate competitions for long periods until they become an aged outfit. It's all very well investing in local juniors until they pack up and leave for work and uni.

Rochy couldn't field a 3rds team this year, surely the league is trying to get a mou with Locky and colbo, so it doesn't happen again.

I think it relates to where you play juniors not senior footy
Yep, Violet Town's is based on having played Junior football for Euroa in Seymour or Benalla in Wangaratta. Not guys that come from outside and play senior football only. And each player still has to be applied for to the AFL GM and isn't automatically approved

Rochy couldn't field a 3rds team this year, surely the league is trying to get a mou with Locky and colbo, so it doesn't happen again.
Think colbo were light on for numbers themselves. Most regional clubs struggle for consistent 3rds numbers.. kids just don't want to play as much any more. Unfortunately junior footy may end up becoming something just for the 'major leagues'

Last edited:
We all have our opinions on this. However, a system that has seen very good players sit out finals is not what we want. The GV was a much stronger league pre points and salary caps. Unless a club is well administered it makes no difference. Only a couple of years back, Ky used less points in a match against the bottom team Swans. The points/salary cap is certainly not going to help Shepp United in it current situation.Since its inception it has created 'super' teams that dominate competitions for long periods until they become an aged outfit. It's all very well investing in local juniors until they pack up and leave for work and uni.

We have shared our differing opinions often on this Ringo.
However I do agree with your opinion about well administered clubs, points makes no difference if your club isn’t. Again you hit the nail on the head as it seems this applies directly to what’s going on at Shepp United.
However Kyabram invested in the juniors, they went to uni, and still come back to play! It’s culture, where your team is positioned and good luck with circumstances of individuals, that all helps a team.

Yep, Violet Town's is based on having played Junior football for Euroa in Seymour or Benalla in Wangaratta. Not guys that come from outside and play senior football only. And each player still has to be applied for to the AFL GM and isn't automatically approved
Yeah that’s right. So they have access to a s**t load of juniors. Where as Avenel & Nagambie share a junior club that is nagambie dominant. Not a system I’m a fan of but understand why it’s in place. I am also though an advocate of the points system, but not the way it’s implemented.

My understanding is the MOU’s between specific GVL clubs and KDL clubs were set-up as a result of KDL having only one grade of junior football .
Some GVL clubs also have a MOU with junior league sides which inturn means indirectly KDL clubs get access to these players as 1 pointers.
An example of how bad this can be . a Tat born and raised junior does Auskick through Tat goes to high school at the mega school and for what ever reason plays footy with a shepp junior sides for 2-3 years . He then goes to Tat once he finishes under 15’s within the Shepp Junior side . At that point he is a 4 pointer to Tat yet a 1 pointer to a neighbouring KDL club.

IMO only 50% Games up to under 14 level should be used toward home grown player and capped at 20 games . Eg : players plays 100 games for Mooroopna juniors , only half of those games or up to 20 games can count toward home grown player at Undera .

The fact a player can be deemed a 1 pointer at a club they’ve never played a game at is a major flaw .
With GVL and KDL now having 2 junior age groups MOU’s should be scrapped , it affects GVL clubs more than any .

My understanding is the MOU’s between specific GVL clubs and KDL clubs were set-up as a result of KDL having only one grade of junior football .
Some GVL clubs also have a MOU with junior league sides which inturn means indirectly KDL clubs get access to these players as 1 pointers.
An example of how bad this can be . a Tat born and raised junior does Auskick through Tat goes to high school at the mega school and for what ever reason plays footy with a shepp junior sides for 2-3 years . He then goes to Tat once he finishes under 15’s within the Shepp Junior side . At that point he is a 4 pointer to Tat yet a 1 pointer to a neighbouring KDL club.

IMO only 50% Games up to under 14 level should be used toward home grown player and capped at 20 games . Eg : players plays 100 games for Mooroopna juniors , only half of those games or up to 20 games can count toward home grown player at Undera .

The fact a player can be deemed a 1 pointer at a club they’ve never played a game at is a major flaw .
With GVL and KDL now having 2 junior age groups MOU’s should be scrapped , it affects GVL clubs more than any .
It's beyond stupid....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t normally criticise umpires and their Votes but Austin was certainly not seen by them.
They must have just been watching Marrone as he certainly picked up some free votes in the Morrison.

Finished 4th in Rochy BnF
Mate, sadly I can rarely get back to GV footy, but watched the Round 1 game v Kyabram and he should have polled votes. Same in the drawn game against the Cats.

Just an aside and not related to GV footy, but any of you who have access to STAN should have a look at the doco 'The Galahs'.

Harry Beitzel led a team of VFL players to Ireland to play the Irish champs in 1967. Australian team included Barassi as coach, Nichols, Skilton, Hart, Mann etc. A brilliant watch and the catalyst for the Australia v Ireland International series we enjoyed pre-Covid-19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back