Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy we managed to get a really clever option to reinforce our ruck stocks. I think it was the much better option compared to some of the free agents brought up.

Bit romantic with his dad being a lions fan.

Surely we won the trade period now!
Despite giving up next year's third (meaning we will have to scramble to make that up somehow), we seem to have done well in this deal on paper.
Happy with the choice of a mature ruck over more of a forward ruck like Cox or Casboult. Plus I'm pretty confident he can play a bit. I'm going to stick by my comments from the other day that he might overtake Oscar.

Surely we won the trade period now!
I usually don't mind Kane Cornes but he made me laugh with his assessment of ours and the Demons trade period.

He said the Demons were great > Traded in a depth mid in Luke Dunstan.

He said the Lions were disappointing > Traded in an experienced ruck that will likely play at least half a season in the firsts and provide much needed ruck depth in Darcy Fort + upgraded pick 50 to 41.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How far short are we on picks for our gun kids next year though now? Happy to go Fort in, should help to hold himself well.

Despite giving up next year's third (meaning we will have to scramble to make that up somehow), we seem to have done well in this deal on paper.
Happy with the choice of a mature ruck over more of a forward ruck like Cox or Casboult. Plus I'm pretty confident he can play a bit. I'm going to stick by my comments from the other day that he might overtake Oscar.
Pretty sure the recruitment team know what there doing, another trade game within the draft to work some magic, and of course next yrs trade period., to get the picks needed.

The biggest tick for this period was not bringing in Mason Cox

I love the Gateway as it’s an easy climb, but yeah, I wouldn’t be letting a young kid freewheel down. Easily hit 50k’s+.

I remember feeling very un-secure going down a hill at 70 - somehow just didn't feel like my tyres and the road were quite on good enough speaking terms and the certain knowledge that if *anything* happened out of the ordinary I would be toast wasn't helping either. Would be very easy to over-react when you feel you are losing control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember feeling very un-secure going down a hill at 70 - somehow just didn't feel like my tyres and the road were quite on good enough speaking terms and the certain knowledge that if *anything* happened out of the ordinary I would be toast wasn't helping either. Would be very easy to over-react when you feel you are losing control.
It’s a pretty steep or pretty long hill to get to 70km. I’ve only hit those speeds in France, because there’s not much around Brisbane/SEQ where I’d be comfortable at those speeds (especially at my age now).

A steal. Got a good feel about young Darcy.
Excuse the intrusion but just want to say you’ll be pleased with Darcy. While Fort is lanky and is not a star/A grader, he is a genuine strong contesting 1st ruck who can play forward/kick goals (skinny version of Omac). Very good second efforts and a smart player. Unfortunately for Darcy, Chris Scott had a strong preference for Esava R (ie. big forward marking presence but weak 2nd ruck) as a backup to Stanley.

Hope Darcy goes well with the Lions.

A Fort-uitous trade.
Excuse the intrusion but just want to say you’ll be pleased with Darcy. While Fort is lanky and is not a star/A grader, he is a genuine strong contesting 1st ruck who can play forward/kick goals (skinny version of Omac). Very good second efforts and a smart player. Unfortunately for Darcy, Chris Scott had a strong preference for Esava R (ie. big forward marking presence but weak 2nd ruck) as a backup to Stanley.

Hope Darcy goes well with the Lions.

Crikey. Didn't think there could be a skinny-er version of O.

With fort it will allow us to keep
Joe Deep forward and have one of Fort and big o be the 3rd tall when not rucking. Bringing in Charlie , Lincoln and Rayner into the game . Bailey to spend more time in midfield .

It’s a pretty steep or pretty long hill to get to 70km. I’ve only hit those speeds in France, because there’s not much around Brisbane/SEQ where I’d be comfortable at those speeds (especially at my age now).

Pretty standard coming down Cootha but yeah that’s about it in Brissy.

Well, we needed a back up ruckman and that's what the club went out and got. :) Good work by our club.

Don't understand how/why we also seemed to get better draft picks as well.

Could someone explain this?

Fort is not on roster watch yet. I would like to know more about him, I wonder what he is being paid.

Smart pick up and at not much cost and I love the fact he comes from a family of Lions supporters. He will give everything and is a perfect foil for Big O. I wouldn't be surprised if Fort starts round 1 with Oscar in the goal square. Least we can now cover any injury to Oscar which was massive concern this year.

Was a very boring trade period - I'm sure covid played its part with clubs not keen to throw big money about. Onto the draft and strengthen our already strong list with 2 picks in the first round and Ashcroft possibly number 1 next year. So much more pleasing than not so long ago when we had players leaving on masse and we scrambled for clubs b grade players.

I wonder with the acquisition of Darcy Fort if that means we are more likely to delist Connor Ballenden, Fort turned 28 only 2 months ago so we should get at least 3-4 good years of footy out of him, I like the write ups about him and the scarce footage, any decent highlight packages out there featuring him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back