Review Winners and losers, 2021 edition

Not that a bid will come at #1 but from what I can tell Collingwood still don’t have the points to match a bid there.

Would result in them slipping down a draft spot starting from pick 4 in 2022 (unless they picked up more points this year).

A2FD6979-0B79-45A5-9C3C-BC02A6C5D601.jpeg

WinstonWolfe

Cancelled
Sep 23, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not that a bid will come at #1 but from what I can tell Collingwood still don’t have the points to match a bid there.

Would result in them slipping down a draft spot starting from pick 4 in 2022 (unless they picked up more points this year).

View attachment 1259997
If there is a bid at 1, the Pies will simply trade their pick 27 into multiple picks. Would be surprised if it hasn't already been agreed upon. Also have 3x 3rd round picks in 2022, so can simply switch that pick in. Doggies in the same position. Not really an issue for either club.

Everyone knows it's too early to pick winners and losers. We'll have to wait for the end of year financial report by Continental tyres.

Maaaattteeee

Grundy, Adams, DeGoey, Pendles and Sidey for one last ride, Lipinksi, WHE, Daicos x 2, Crisp plus last years kids is a deep midfield group - probably including back and forward flanks.

Get Howe and Moore back and that's always a nice start of a backline, Maynard, Roughy for one more year probably with Quaynor improving and that's a decent chunk of backline.

Not sure Kreuger unlocks the forward line. Still be a lot on Mihocek and Darcy Cameron. Jamie Elliott. And the young forwards will have to step in quickly - Henry, McCreery, Ginnivan.

There's a fair bit to work with, but it probably starts with a question of whether DeGoey becomes a permanent mid and how they manage the over 30's.

Take Sidebottom, Pendles, Howe and Roughead out and suddenly there's a lot more gaps to fill.

I thought 16th but after reading this I have you at 19th

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
If there is a bid at 1, the Pies will simply trade their pick 27 into multiple picks. Would be surprised if it hasn't already been agreed upon. Also have 3x 3rd round picks in 2022, so can simply switch that pick in. Doggies in the same position. Not really an issue for either club.

Can they do that after ?

How long do they have

I think Hawthorn did the right thing in the end. Carlton sold off all of their draft currency 6 years ago and struggled since. Yes we got some good players to take us forward but equally we threw some kids to the wolves and possibly ruined their careers.

Having those veterans around them might see more youngsters at the Hawks make the grade and fulfil their potential.

Surprised GWS offered so much for Breust at his age though.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Actually the Dogs also don’t have enough points to match another bid at #1, but that seems extremely unlikely - even more so than Daicos.

View attachment 1259999

View attachment 1259997

Picks 31 and 39 sitting at the Swans if points are needed....

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Losers: All of us.
The Journalists who completely misunderstood what Hawthorn were doing.
The BigFooty posters who thought the same.

Winners: Fremantle.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You'd have to say Hawthorn is a loser.

Their President sent a letter to its members which turned out to be about nothing, Sam Mitchell didn't get any more picks he wanted in and is stuck with a bunch of guys he tried to ship, which he thought he could get first round picks for and the market said they're worth a packet of plain salt.

Going to be an interesting 12 months for them.

The journos got it all wrong and you've taken their word as gospel.

We swapped a 30 year old ruckman for a 23 year old one and take 3 picks inside 25 into the draft, whilst getting Sicily and Gunston back essentially as new recruits. I'm happy with where we are at.

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Biggest loser was Colin Young, players he manages/advises try break 2 contracts, none of it gets done due to 1. poor understanding of player worth, and 2 poor communication with clubs involved, all looks very amateur hour.

Then the Swans.

We lost 2 best 22 players and picked up a player who isn't an immediate list need.
Hard to argue that our best 22 in 2022 will be stronger than in 2021 with those changes.

Then Freo
Losing Cerra for just pick 6, hard to argue their team is better next year without Cerra

Carlton and Adelaide the big winners.

Carlton get 2 best 22 midfielders who are 2 way runners and instantly improve their team
Adelaide picks up a player who will probably win their B&F next year for significant unders.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Biggest loser was Colin Young, players he manages/advises try break 2 contracts, none of it gets done due to 1. poor understanding of player worth, and 2 poor communication with clubs involved, all looks very amateur hour.

Then the Swans.

We lost 2 best 22 players and picked up a player who isn't an immediate list need.
Hard to argue that our best 22 in 2022 will be stronger than in 2021 with those changes.

Then Freo
Losing Cerra for just pick 6, hard to argue their team is better next year without Cerra

Carlton and Adelaide the big winners.

Carlton get 2 best 22 midfielders who are 2 way runners and instantly improve their team
Adelaide picks up a player who will probably win their B&F next year for significant unders.

Serious about Freo?

They gained Clark, Brodie and have picks 6 and 8 essentially for the loss of only Cerra. Huge win.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Fair enough, I just got jacked on a poster that said the Pies had stocked up on next years picks to have a crack at a KPF.

The Pies work over the last couple of years has been a real cluster fu**, I'd add the Beams deal in that cluster too. It just seems that the club is trying to rebuild and fix the TPP at the same time, which TBH can't be done, the players picked up last year at least give the club something to look forward to, add Daicos and an early 1st next year then maybe things will happen.

It's all relative - we still have our future first + 2 x 3rd round picks, whereas in previous trade periods we'd have walked away with our next future first round pick coming maybe in 2025-2026 or somewhere around there, in exchange for a grand bounty of a late second round pick, early fourth round pick, and a snack sized bag of Light and Tangy Thins. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though we did pretty good business this year considering how far short we were even just on matching a bid on Daicos, never mind having assets to bring in our trade targets. Now we have added a couple of players in Lipinski and Kreuger who address list needs (how well remains to be seen but at least we're plugging holes in our list now), pretty much all bases are covered in terms of the bid match on Daicos regardless of where it comes and we even have the flexibility to pop out of and then (if there's someone there we like) back into the second round this year, if the Daicos bid falls where are hoping it might (pick 4).

We probably couldn't have done much better than that given the hand we came in with.

p.s. You can give up on us trading you guys pick 27 for pick 38 and 40 because it's not happening now. ;)

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Wasn't anything major, but in the circumstances I think we got a good net result.

Given that could have been Chol & CCJ for Tarrant as RFA, we've done okay to keep a strong hand, keep the Chol compo and get a Future 2nd from North.
Picks that went back the other way were all later picks than that they we wouldn't have used in the draft.

I don't think there's any major winners or losers though this trade period.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not much happened, so no big winners or losers this time.

Most teams were small winners. Gold Coast, Collingwood and Bulldogs all moving picks around to suit their situation. Melbourne did well to pick up Dunstan and move their first rounder forward a year. Freo did as well as they could with Cerra leaving.

One small loser was Geelong. Traded out a couple of promising young players. Swapped back-up rucks. They haven't done enough for a team attempting one final crack at it. Whoever takes over this list from Scott and Wells is in for a very tough time.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
One small loser was Geelong. Traded out a couple of promising young players. Swapped back-up rucks. They haven't done enough for a team attempting one final crack at it. Whoever takes over this list from Scott and Wells is in for a very tough time.

I'm amazed they've escaped the media wrath to be honest.

I guess our non-existent 'fire sale' was of more interest.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Serious about Freo?

They gained Clark, Brodie and have picks 6 and 8 essentially for the loss of only Cerra. Huge win.

You left out pick 19, which is absolutely the cherry on top. That pick (first pick in the second round) will be in hot demand in the 12 hours or so leading up to the commencement of day 2 of the draft and I'd expect their list manager's phone to be ringing off the hook in the mean time.

Last edited:

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Serious about Freo?

They also lost 27 and some future picks but I think they did well enough with the hand they were dealt.

Clark will be a very good player for a long time and 19 is extremely valuable on draft night.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
If a player wants to go for compassionate reasons why don't we have a silent auction on the player, where all clubs interested out a bid in and the club chooses, people are sick of seeing players choose a club, it's outdated and boring and the AFL should allow clubs to trade players in the their 3rd year and above to wherever without the players consent, this is a borefest this system and its not a fair system to provide equality for the league

Back