Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
People getting carried away by GWS being hard to deal with through this whole thing should remember that we have done exactly the same on multiple occasiona. Maybe we didn't receive an offer we thought was reasonable in some cases but I suppose that's true for the Giants as well (and Dunkley last year).

Francis requested a trade home because he was struggling away from family but we blocked it. Fantasia requested a trade home in 2019 and we held him. Daniher in 2019 and we held him despite receiving what most of the footy world deemed a "stupid to refuse" level offer.

It's how it goes sometimes. Hopefully Bobby and his partner can get the support they need, which is the most important part of this whole thing.
And it might be a blessing in disguise for us, maybe we can use that future 2nd to improve our draft hand this year which we seem keen to do.
Did we block Francis’s move home, or did he receive no interest from SA clubs? I seem to remember the latter.

Did we block Francis’s move home, or did he receive no interest from SA clubs? I seem to remember the latter.
I think our price killed the interest.

Too good for VFL not good enough for AFL. Often results in a player being overhyped
TBF we could have said that about Hinds time at St Kilda... played out of position, didn't look AFL standard.

Gibbons may be a bust, but he may be the next Hind

TBF we could have said that about Hinds time at St Kilda... played out of position, didn't look AFL standard.

Gibbons may be a bust, but he may be the next Hind
Wasn't Gibbons played as a small forward?

Wasn't Gibbons played as a small forward?
yeah, and he has said that was out of position and his best position is midfield. Not that he'd get a start in our midfield and would be good depth if we experience the same run of injuries we had last season

yeah, and he has said that was out of position and his best position is midfield. Not that he'd get a start in our midfield and would be good depth if we experience the same run of injuries we had last season
Ah my bad, I thought people were advocating for him to be picked up as small forward depth.

I really doubt we have more than one of these but potential DFA's:

Inside Midfielders: Michael Gibbons, Sam Ramsay, Dom Tyson, Patrick Naish, Mark Hutchings
Small Forwards: Cameron Taheny, Will Walker, Sam Grey, Jarrod Cameron

I doubt we go Gibbons, Tyson, Grey or Hutchings but they're AFL standard players IMO. Will Walker is a very attractive proposition to me however, was very keen in his draft year as a forward/mid after watching his TAC GF.

I really doubt we have more than one of these but potential DFA's:

Inside Midfielders: Michael Gibbons, Sam Ramsay, Dom Tyson, Patrick Naish, Mark Hutchings
Small Forwards: Cameron Taheny, Will Walker, Sam Grey, Jarrod Cameron

I doubt we go Gibbons, Tyson, Grey or Hutchings but they're AFL standard players IMO. Will Walker is a very attractive proposition to me however, was very keen in his draft year as a forward/mid after watching his TAC GF.
I'd have a look at Ramsay or Nash for sure, but ideally as a train and trial and then if they go alright pick them up as an SSP

I'd have a look at Ramsay or Nash for sure, but ideally as a train and trial and then if they go alright pick them up as an SSP
SSP is to close to SPS. It sends shivers down my spine reading it every time.

It depends on what happens with Clarke, Gleeson, Snelling and even Wanganeen/Moore. Ramsay would probably wear 22 as well, next locker down from his best mate haha.

Carlton has just resigned or recommitted to some seriously average players with Setterfield remaining out of contract.

I expect we'll sign him as a DFA.
I don’t understand how this works, so can they offer him a new 1 year contract now? Or is he out of contract and up for grabs?

I don’t understand how this works, so can they offer him a new 1 year contract now? Or is he out of contract and up for grabs?
Option 1: They offer him a contract and he accepts it
Option 2: They offer him a contract but he rejects it and goes to the PSD
Option 3: They don't offer him a contract and he becomes a Delisted FA

Saved from ourselves thanks to McCartney. I guess we finally owe him one.

Fancy trading a second round pick for a player with no real position (his position is basically 'take advantage of clean break from half back'), no work rate, no physicality, no apparent engine and knowing we have guaranteed access to two sets of the same raw attributes next year. At the end of the day, that's all Hill is at this point in time a set of raw attributes, the sort of player you'd sign as late pick or rookie and then look to develop.

I think it was Kakkle who said listening to Melbourne's list manager talk about Dunstan makes you wonder whether he is managing a list for a different sport. The sentiment could not be expressed any better than that.

This all gets back to a fundamental issue Dodoro has identifying or respecting actual grunt around the ball. He would be far from the only person in the industry who, I suspect, does not bother to differentiate between the types of contested possessions. The stat sheet lies when it comes to contested possessions perhaps more than any other stat. It should really be called "disputed ball possession". This would then include both the contested ball in dispute, which could be separately measured, and loose ball gets which are currently considered contested possessions (as opposed to uncontested possessions which are essentially possession receives).

That's our midfield. It's effective when there is enough space for it to be effective. This is what our eyes tell us but which we can't reconcile with the stat sheet. We can only absorb pressure playing quicker and quicker which can really only come unstuck which is why at some stage you need the bodies who can absorb pressure (and also because they create space and time outside).

I suspect part of our rationale for overlooking the 2 or 3 inside mid free hits available is that that we're now going to at least try to sign Setterfield (as I mentioned above) as some form of free agent, etc. As I've said before Setterfield clearly looked an AFL standard player last year but it was not with the sort of presence around the ball of any of the free hits we just overlooked. What ever he was as a junior he has barely translated that as a senior player. It's the disadvantage of being >188cm, you need to end up at least 90kgs and that's a lot of weight for some players to put on and carry around as a mid.

We continue to but our head against the same brick wall.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Option 1: They offer him a contract and he accepts it
Option 2: They offer him a contract but he rejects it and goes to the PSD
Option 3: They don't offer him a contract and he becomes a Delisted FA

I've forgotten how the PSD works... if he rejected an offer from Carlton can he stipulate terms he's looking for, more money/years? What's to stop Carlton from drafting him in the PSD?

I've forgotten how the PSD works... if he rejected an offer from Carlton can he stipulate terms he's looking for, more money/years? What's to stop Carlton from drafting him in the PSD?
Yep. Let's say we offer 2 years/600k and they offer 250k for one, he goes to the PSD and they either pay him that or he goes to us

Yep. Let's say we offer 2 years/600k and they offer 250k for one, he goes to the PSD and they either pay him that or he goes to us
Fairly sure he is contracted for next year as he hit a trigger.

Anyone reckon we'll try and do a deal to offload our future 1st?
Maybe. I don't think we're in the frame for picks 21 and 22 (what they'll be night 2), but I can see Hawthorne trading their pick.

A journo noted that last night that we might try to do that.

I imagine if someone we like slides to 15+ we might wave our F1 around to a team like Brisbane or Sydney, or even Freo at 19 if they last that long.
Doubt Brisbane are interested with Ashcroft likely to be top 5 next year. Richmond are a possibility though, and I think 19 (read: 21) will be done for a 20's pick and a future second. Hawthorne a good one to eye off though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back