Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder with the acquisition of Darcy Fort if that means we are more likely to delist Connor Ballenden, Fort turned 28 only 2 months ago so we should get at least 3-4 good years of footy out of him, I like the write ups about him and the scarce footage, any decent highlight packages out there featuring him?
We don't have the list space anymore to keep Ballenden (or Brock Smith or Joyce), they'll all be delisted. Whether Fort is replacing him depends on whether we feel we need another KPD behind Payne.

We don't have the list space anymore to keep Ballenden (or Brock Smith or Joyce), they'll all be delisted. Whether Fort is replacing him depends on whether we feel we need another KPD behind Payne.
I wonder, if they have the space, Noble would extend a lifeline to Joyce or Ballenden. Both could be ok with some consistent opportunity. Smith could be a not so good selection by the Big Conole from the limited 2s games I saw.

It's particularly annoying that the two picks before him were Trent Rivers and Charlie Comben who could have both been useful to us, but such is life, can't win 'em all.
Yeah Comden looks exciting if North can get him on the park for an extended period.

I wonder with the acquisition of Darcy Fort if that means we are more likely to delist Connor Ballenden, Fort turned 28 only 2 months ago so we should get at least 3-4 good years of footy out of him, I like the write ups about him and the scarce footage, any decent highlight packages out there featuring him?
A few points worth making when it comes to Connor:

The winner of the reserves B&F is somewhat a death wish to the recipient historically.
If Connor was thought of in any way as a back up to Big O, Fort would not be on our list.
Connor has been a listed Lions player now for several years and has not been promoted even though he was an outstanding player in our reserves.
When he did get a gig in the best 22, he never really showed much for Fagan & Co to be excited about.
He definitely has more going against him than for him as it sits right now.

The winner of the reserves B&F is somewhat a death wish to the recipient historically.
If Connor was thought of in any way as a back up to Big O, Fort would not be on our list.
Connor has been a listed Lions player now for several years and has not been promoted even though he was an outstanding player in our reserves.
When he did get a gig in the best 22, he never really showed much for Fagan & Co to be excited about.

And if list sizes weren't reduced he'd be a decent chance of keeping his spot

Trade for needs which is what we did by getting a mature back up ruck who will help our setup with hippy out . Draft for talent . I’d be looking at a midfielder or a half back for rich . Think sharp will develop into that hard running winger . Doesn’t have school to concentrate on now so we should see a big improvement if him over next couple of years .

2 good picks this year . Ashcroft in next year mini list rejuvenation .

Not to mention Fletcher who will be a very good second round prospect next year too. Good talent coming in, will just n we to make sure we get a KPP in among the picks somewhere.

shame that two of the three you have named did not even get one game in the firsts and Ballenden only got a couple of games. Unfortunately I agree that the three named are very likely to be delisted.

Keen observers of training like Jason mp might notice if Payne is training in the forward line, during the off season.

Not to mention Fletcher who will be a very good second round prospect next year too. Good talent coming in, will just n we to make sure we get a KPP in among the picks somewhere.
Not sure how to link post's from other threads but a draft watcher on the draft board, Davo-27, had Fletcher at 13 in his last 2022 rankings. eDPS didn't have him in his top 20, hopefully Jaspa can get the chance to play footy that is more publicised next season, maybe even a few games with the VFL team.

The reserves B&F getting delisted was a symptom of us having a young, injury-ravaged list. It demonstrated that you weren't getting elevated to the seniors side while all your peers were getting a few games at least before they inevitably injured themselves.

It's a historical novelty rather than a practice of giving it as a consolation prize to the next delistee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some commentators really need to get their marbles checked.
Jon Ralph explains clearly that we don't have the cap space to bring in a Gunston, yet Kingy blabbers on for the next 2-3 mins about using pick 18 to bring in a Gunston.
Lets get something straight we still have two first round picks - who knows they could be the next Bailey (pick 15) and Starcevich (pick 18).
We also got Fort (a need) and upgraded to pick 41 - still a potential to get us a good player. Who knows we could even package later picks to get something in the late 20s or early 30s.

Jon Ralph explains clearly that we don't have the cap space to bring in a Gunston, yet Kingy blabbers on for the next 2-3 mins about using pick 18 to bring in a Gunston.
Lets get something straight we still have two first round picks - who knows they could be the next Bailey (pick 15) and Starcevich (pick 18).
We also got Fort (a need) and upgraded to pick 41 - still a potential to get us a good player. Who knows we could even package later picks to get something in the late 20s or early 30s.
Honestly in so many ways the AFL is one of the most amateurish sporting organisations in the world and unfortunately that extends to the media and coverage of everything to do with it.

Doesn’t fit their narrative.

Is Fletcher a mid? Is there a link I can read which gives some background on his profile?

Is Fletcher a mid? Is there a link I can read which gives some background on his profile?

He's a wingman. I'm sure there's a link but my info is purely based off Bigfooty because I'm a pleb.

I was watching their show last night & had quite the chuckle or two.

It's all very much Vic biased. I'm not even sure it's intentional, moreso just the fact they don't try to hide their bias.

The premiership window was my favourite part of their show. Melbourne & the Bulldogs have a never ending premiership window that starts now.

Port have a premiership window from 2022 to 2026.

The Lions have a premiership window from 2022 to 2025. Have they even looked at the age profile of our list? Or considered the draft hand we have this year & the talent set to come into our club in 2022?

I'm not mad. Just disappointed. :D

I was watching their show last night & had quite the chuckle or two.

It's all very much Vic biased. I'm not even sure it's intentional, moreso just the fact they don't try to hide their bias.

The premiership window was my favourite part of their show. Melbourne & the Bulldogs have a never ending premiership window that starts now.

Port have a premiership window from 2022 to 2026.

The Lions have a premiership window from 2022 to 2025. Have they even looked at the age profile of our list? Or considered the draft hand we have this year & the talent set to come into our club in 2022?

I'm not mad. Just disappointed. :D

Ollie Wines is 27, Lycett 29 and Boak 33. Their other mids haven't consistently performed in the midfield. I can't see Port being much of a threat after next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back