Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 7: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
All these CHO's want zero covid, they don't want to see a single death. I'd hate to imagine what would be happening if they were given sole discretion to enact everything that they would like.

These peoples usual days, prior to the pandemic, existed of overseeing health inspectors check for rats in restaurants and keeping an eye out for outbreaks of Legionnaires disease.

Not belittling them but the fact they have been the guiding influence of the response is an issue that probably needs addressing.

Correct and it's what Gladys tried to avoid for as long as she could, up until the final pile on.

All these CHO's want zero covid, they don't want to see a single death. I'd hate to imagine what would be happening if they were given sole discretion to enact everything that they would like.

These peoples usual days, prior to the pandemic, existed of overseeing health inspectors check for rats in restaurants and keeping an eye out for outbreaks of Legionnaires disease.

Not belittling them but the fact they have been the guiding influence of the response is an issue that probably needs addressing.

I think they've unfairly been made the scapegoat to soften the blow for premiers to hide behind the harsh decisions that have been made.

"We have to lock down due to the public health advice" sounds better than "We have to lock down because I feel we should".

As Perrottet has shown, you don't need to follow the CHO advice to the tee and can balance it out with other economic impacts.

Scientists around the world have received threats of death and sexual assault after speaking to the media about Covid-19, a survey has revealed.

Of 321 scientists asked by Nature magazine, 15% said they had received death threats and 22% had been threatened with physical or sexual violence as a result of talking publicly about the pandemic.

Two-thirds said they had had a negative experience after appearing in the media.

The one positive? Epidemiologists and immunologists know how climate scientists have felt for the past 30 years, so they can commiserate together :(

Dan Andrews is adamant that they are sticking to the road map.

Am I just a Dan Andrews purist and worshipper if I say they deserve credit for sticking to the plan despite 2000+ cases?

Am I just a Dan Andrews purist and worshipper if I say they deserve credit for sticking to the plan despite 2000+ cases?

It's too late. If he pushes it out while NSW continues to get more freedoms, Victorians will go beserk. Not 200 people in the CBD beserk; I mean the "cars on fire" and "shopfronts smashed" beserk.

1634170262938.png

and Commbank as well
I say be a few more major companies will do it now as well after these gone first.

honestly I do not like mandating this. Does not feel right for me.
Should of been more done many more carrots offered not sticks.
I do not agree with some reasons not to get vaxed.. Not sure I want these people spreading it to my under 12 kids.
Although it going to get messy now.
if they never going to offer Carrots , then Feds should of just mandated it to start with instead of doing it now by stealth.

It's too late. If he pushes it out while NSW continues to get more freedoms, Victorians will go beserk. Not 200 people in the CBD beserk, like cars on fire and windows smashed beserk.

Although, NSW didn't get to 2000+ cases

Although, NSW didn't get to 2000+ cases

Lockdown fatigue is real, and people are running on fumes. That's the "feel" I get from speaking to people, anyway. Victorians are over lockdowns, and I reckon an extension would be the straw that would break the camel's back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope large case numbers don't impact on state borders reopening by Xmas. I'm out of Victoria come March so surely things should be good to go by then :huh:

Lockdown fatigue is real, and people are running on fumes. That's the "feel" I get from speaking to people, anyway. Victorians are over lockdowns, and I reckon an extension would be the straw that would break the camel's back.
Dan played the one wood from the start due to his incompetence of HQ last year.
When we really need compliance for delta we're burnt out while Sydney who hasn't experience the slog of 6/7 continuous lockdowns complied with the orders fairly well.

I live in the inner west and there is still generally good compliance in shopping centres. Went to a small outer west shopping centre for a particular store yesterday and I saw at least 10 people without masks within 3 mins. Outer suburbs (west, north, and east) seem to have completely given up which seems to be backed by the skyrocketing cases in those areas.

I completely agree with what you're saying but I was not really implying an extension to lockdown, just that if the date of 70% is 4 days earlier than the 26th do they hold out for the 26th

I think he knows it too, was pumping up the fact that single dose will reach 90% the same day we reach 70%, was even talking about opening up on the day we reach 70% and not waiting until after the weekend which I thought might happen. Will they tweak a few things? I think may still be possible.

I just hope large case numbers don't impact on state borders reopening by Xmas. I'm out of Victoria come March so surely things should be good to go by then :huh:
I wouldn't be too confident. SA have spruiked about opening up to NSW/Vic for Xmas but one of the caveats is travellers can't have been at an exposure site. I expect by then that cases will be so rife in those states that it will be nearly impossible for someone not to have been at an exposure site. The airports will be permanently exposure sites.

I also can't see how NSW/Vic will be able to keep up with exposure site listing. Vic have already given up on Tier 2 and 3 haven't they?.

I just sent a message to my family in Tas saying "2.2k cases, see yas next Christmas" lol

vax takes 2-3 weeks to work we still have a few areas 35-45% double vaxed
When you go down to postcode level you notice a difference vs what gets smoothed out LGA level
My postcode 90-95% 1st and 2nd 65-70%.. which is where the LGA is
Two postcode in the LGA are under that one 75-80% and 50-55% 2nd and 70-75% 1st and 45-50% 2nd.
And a couple better then mine over 70% 2nd and 90-95% 1st

Vic

46 per cent, or nearly half of yesterday’s cases, were aged under 30 years old. 63 per cent, or nearly two-thirds were aged under 40. There were 1,245 newly impacted households.

“So we will see these cases continue to generate further cases amongst their contacts in the days to come,” he said.

“We do believe we have undetected transmission occurring in the community which is just coming to the surface.”

Vic

46 per cent, or nearly half of yesterday’s cases, were aged under 30 years old. 63 per cent, or nearly two-thirds were aged under 40. There were 1,245 newly impacted households.

“So we will see these cases continue to generate further cases amongst their contacts in the days to come,” he said.

“We do believe we have undetected transmission occurring in the community which is just coming to the surface.”
Wonder how the elderly would react to having to stay at home longer in order to protect the younger people. Would be quite the turn of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back