List Mgmt. 2021 Trade, FA and Draft Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah they haven't won it but they've clearly done alot right. Basically made finals every year for 15 years lol. They've been a bad game or a missed draft pick away from winning flags.

Was talking to a mate who goes for the Cats and I reckon their coaches actually get a ton out of their playing group, and their gameplan is tailored to the list they have to maximize that. The problem is that gameplan doesn't really stand up in finals traditionally as when there is speed in the game they really struggle.

Losing players Fogarty and Clark who’ve both shown plenty but then subsequently not been played behind some other really middling players seems like it was preventable. It’s not all their fault though - If they’d kept Tim Kelly they might have gone a lot closer to winning the flag last year or this year, and they were never going to keep him

I dont think you need to live in Geelong to have a hate boner for them , they have tormented Melbourne like few other sides have over my life time.

Its just lovely to be able to lay the boots into them for a change. And Chris Scott is a dead set excuse making w***er. You must be the only person who cant see this mate.
I don't give a * about Scott or his excuses. Paul Roos came out with some of the dumbest excuses you'd ever hear aswell, most of its media deflection.

At the end of the day you can have a great game plan, a good list and good environment and have a bad day.

It's the same thing nuffies use when they say Ross Lyon isn't a good coach cause he never won a flag. If you can consistently coach a team to prelims you're a good coach. Rest is on the players

They'll make finals next year but after that they'll fall away IMO. Won't be bottom 4 due to their massive home ground advantage but won't threaten anytime soon.
I'm still on the fence whether they make finals next year.

They can easily win 10 games but when you're carrying a team nearly made up of 30 year olds then injuries will catch up to their bodies eventually

Dangerfield, Hawkins and Selwood are all 33 and 34 next year. I mean I can easily reel off a list of names that are 30 plus who I think we'll struggle next year. Same names that struggled this year.

Was talking to a mate who goes for the Cats and I reckon their coaches actually get a ton out of their playing group, and their gameplan is tailored to the list they have to maximize that. The problem is that gameplan doesn't really stand up in finals traditionally as when there is speed in the game they really struggle.
They just don’t have the cattle to be more adventurous. It’s a bit chicken and egg, but at the end of the day they repeatedly get overrun in finals in exactly the same way because the gameplan doesn’t hold up in September and they couldn’t play one that works even if they wanted to

I don't give a fu** about Scott or his excuses. Paul Roos came out with some of the dumbest excuses you'd ever hear aswell, most of its media deflection.

At the end of the day you can have a great game plan, a good list and good environment and have a bad day.

It's the same thing nuffies use when they say Ross Lyon isn't a good coach cause he never won a flag. If you can consistently coach a team to prelims you're a good coach. Rest is on the players

Nah, Scott is in a tier of his own for biggest ******* coach.

The whole club is one massive choke job. Its fantastic.

I find it fascinating how you give Trac s**t for crapping his pants in big moments but refuse to give Geelong the same for their near enough is good enough over 10 years.

I honestly think with hindsight if they could bin danger and Cameron and keep those picks. Or just use them to get a Crouch and Daniher or something cheaper and snagged a couple good younger players they'd be so much better

Danger will retire in my mind as one of the most overrated in history. campaigner doesn't help his team he hinders it.

When he gets the ball runs 10m and pumps it to no one he doesn't help his team, his teammates stop running for him and the opposition can plan around it.

Look at the change in Oliver's game, the moment he stopped banging it on the boot and started feeding teammates after a run we literally destroyed everyone.

Nah, Scott is in a tier of his own for biggest ******* coach.

The whole club is one massive choke job. Its fantastic.

I find fascinating how you give Trac sh*t for crapping his pants in big moments but refuse to give Geelong the same for their near enough is good enough over 10 years.
Because that doesn't make any ******* sense lol.
They've made finals almost every year for 15 years and they've made top 4 heaps. I've literally never said they haven't failed in big moments. They have. You're making out like they're ******* Carlton doing everything wrong

Dangerfield was such a sliding doors moment for them. There’s a scenario where they don’t trade for him or even get him as. FA after missing finals in 2015 for the first time since 2006, take Wayne Milera or Charlie Curnow (McKay went the pick before the one they gave up for him), maybe bottom out somewhat for 2-3 years, play the kids already on the list and develop them instead of letting them rot, and then they’re ready to go again.

Instead they get Dangerfield, decide that they should try and contend with what they have, run into minor premier Sydney in the prelim at the MCG in 2016 and lose, and then continue trying to make incremental improvements to the list for the next 3-4 years to go the extra mile and repeatedly losing in the same manner before trading quite a bit for Cameron in spite of already having a decent forward line and their repeated issue being not being able to contend with the best and quickest midfields in the league.

I don’t think it’s Chris Scott’s fault individually, it’s about more than the coaching. It’s just that the trend towards how to win finals has gone a different way since 2015. Especially at the MCG.

I honestly think with hindsight if they could bin danger and Cameron and keep those picks. Or just use them to get a Crouch and Daniher or something cheaper and snagged a couple good younger players they'd be so much better

Danger will retire in my mind as one of the most overrated in history. campaigner doesn't help his team he hinders it.

When he gets the ball runs 10m and pumps it to no one he doesn't help his team, his teammates stop running for him and the opposition can plan around it.

Look at the change in Oliver's game, the moment he stopped banging it on the boot and started feeding teammates after a run we literally destroyed everyone.

In hindsight they shouldn't have gotten Cameron IMO. He isn't going to be anywhere near able to carry the forwardline like Hawkins has when the big fella retires in a year or two.

Because that doesn't make any ******* sense lol.
They've made finals almost every year for 15 years and they've made top 4 heaps. I've literally never said they haven't failed in big moments. They have. You're making out like they're ******* Carlton doing everything wrong

They are worse than Carlton, they've wasted the worlds longest lasting premiership window for no premierships, what a s**t club. :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loads of respect for the Cats. A ton. But surely this group don't win another flag? I just can't see it. Any team with genuine leg speed is going to run over them towards the end of the year. Yep, solid gameplan throughout the year, but like others have mentioned, it just doesn't stack up come September. Their home game advantage is arguably the biggest in the AFL. They play the lower ranked teams usually at home as well which gives them a massive leg up during home & away. I think Scott is a good coach. A great coach though? Hmmm, don't think so. Ask their supporters. Not many of them are massive fans. They have been great at attracting talent, no doubt. Up until recent times they have been great at developing talent also. But geez, losing Clark is a massive loss tbh. I struggle to name just a couple of great young kids coming through at the Cattery. They have done extremely well to not fall off a cliff, but that cliff looks imminent again. Not sure many of their fans would be upset with what they have eeked out over the last 15 years, but I'm not sure many non supporters would be upset if they spent a bit of time in the bottom half of the ladder...

Nah they’re cooked.

Formline at the end of the year:
Loss 19pts
Win 14pts
Loss 4pts
Loss 43pts
Win 35pts
Loss 83pts

And that was with everyone bar Stewart fit for most of that run.

They will make finals in 2022, do absolutely no damage and then the retirements will start to kick in

Good to see the Hawthorn brass trying to spin their trade period as a "nothing to see here" campaign, they just alienated all their senior players, something we were guilty of not so long ago.

Good to see the Hawthorn brass trying to spin their trade period as a "nothing to see here" campaign, they just alienated all their senior players, something we were guilty of not so long ago.
I’d love to see it do to them what it did to us, but, unfortunately, Hawthorn have an annoyingly infallible track record. Things which seem club-destroying from us are innocuous at worst for them, and dynasty building more often than not. They’ve certainly been here before with the likes of Spida and trading Croad/McPharlin, etc

Gunston's back must be dodgy as hell if he had no serious takers. Surprised no one went hard for Jaeger bomb. Can play.

The last few months have not been Hawthorn like at all. Weird vibes coming out of that club. But yeah, their onfield record speaks for itself. Write them off at your own peril. They ended the season pretty bloody well with half their list on the sidelines. Don't be fooled, they have a lot of talent on that list. Can see them surprising next season if they can keep it together..

Cats are coming up to a huge cliff. Good on them for being in premiership contention for so long but with only one to show from it in last 10 years supporters aren’t going to enjoy the slide. Their list is a nightmare. Half the side next year will be 30+ and only really Stewart Cameron and Henry are top liners under 30.

You got a bargain with Luke Dunstan, he's a contested ball beast, his disposal skills are suspect but you have enough good ball users to cover for him.

You guys owe us some favours for gifting you Petracca and Dunstan, if you can send Luke Jackson. Fritsch or Pickett back our way we'll call it evens.

You got a bargain with Luke Dunstan, he's a contested ball beast, his disposal skills are suspect but you have enough good ball users to cover for him.

You guys owe us some favours for gifting you Petracca and Dunstan, if you can send Luke Jackson. Fritsch or Pickett back our way we'll call it evens.

Are you familiar with Oskar Baker?

Have many Cats mates who hate Scott and feel it's the definition of insanity running the same gameplan back constantly. They did well last year but the short games helped. Remember they campaigned hard to keep shortened quarters...

A bit of quality yoof can get a team going, we showed it, port last year. Young cats players come in playing at a high level then stagnate as they lose games to vets from other clubs. They seem better on paper but if they kept playing the young guns maybe they show some more spark and run in September and jagg a flag off Richmond in those years.

The main thing is we beat them 3 times this year. 44 point come back at KP, 83 point smashing in a PF. And we won the flag. * yeah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back