Welcome Sam Petrevski-Seton (Pick 52)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll absolutely tear it up for you blokes mark my word.

We wrecked his development throwing him all over the park. He says as much in the interview above.

Steal of the decade at pick 52.
That’s assuming we don’t also wreck his development by throwing him all over the park.

That’s assuming we don’t also wreck his development by throwing him all over the park.
5682978881e77965b26716006a51f3bf

SPS himself talks about playing mid-forward for the Eagles, so I'm hoping that means something like rotating with a Shuey or a Kelly between the guts and half forward, similar to the role Cuz played when he won the Brownlow (he kicked 24 goals that year, his best return since he was a small forward in his debut year when he kicked 34), and not the dreaded "lets play inside mid Connor West as a defensive forward on a half forward flank on Daniel Rich for some reason" type role.

Schofield and Knights have a lot to work with ON PAPER, not only with SPS but the whole midfield pack of pretenders, so lets do this.

It's all going to plan - Rioli and SPS forward with Ryan going to the back line. A player with some balls to break the lines and use the corridor.

Would rather keep an AA forward in the forward line and back Foley and Witherden down back doing that.

And Hurn if his old man legs hold up for one more season.

Would rather keep an AA forward in the forward line and back Foley and Witherden down back doing that.

And Hurn if his old man legs hold up for one more season.
I'd rather make our transition from backline to the forward line the worst in the league to one of the best and back in our other 2 AA forwards and maybe get one of our many AA midfielders to make up for the 1.5 goals per game that Ryan kicks.

I'd rather make our transition from backline to the forward line the worst in the league to one of the best and back in our other 2 AA forwards and maybe get one of our many AA midfielders to make up for the 1.5 goals per game that Ryan kicks.
It's true we need some run and carry out of our backline.
But you don't move gun forwards to defense.

Yeah nah. Any way Shuey should be rotating between back flank and midfield

It's true we need some run and carry out of our backline.
But you don't move gun forwards to defense.

And funnily, our run and carry from the backline looked pretty good late in games against Richmond and Melbourne.

Which shows it is gameplan more than personnel.

Creativity is pretty much wasted in the backline. Speed of ball movement is vital, but unless you can kick like Jetta all the creativity in the world won't be able to open up a heap of space. When we move the ball fast, handball to runners (and actually run) and look to attack - we look a much better team (or more competitive at least).

Leave Ryan up forward to terrorise defences with Rioli, SPS even JJ (if he can squeeze into the lineup). Cripps as the defensive forward, Darling, JK, Allen as the kpp's.

Like most of the areas of the ground, it looks fantastic on paper - but will the gameplan and effort be there next year to execute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And funnily, our run and carry from the backline looked pretty good late in games against Richmond and Melbourne.

Which shows it is gameplan more than personnel.

Creativity is pretty much wasted in the backline. Speed of ball movement is vital, but unless you can kick like Jetta all the creativity in the world won't be able to open up a heap of space. When we move the ball fast, handball to runners (and actually run) and look to attack - we look a much better team (or more competitive at least).

Leave Ryan up forward to terrorise defences with Rioli, SPS even JJ (if he can squeeze into the lineup). Cripps as the defensive forward, Darling, JK, Allen as the kpp's.

Like most of the areas of the ground, it looks fantastic on paper - but will the gameplan and effort be there next year to execute.
This is why I’m big on Boots as a defender. He has footy smarts in spades and has the pace and footskills to open the game up.

Being AA in a losing forward line is like dancing with your sister - I think Ryan is AA capable as wing, backline and forward - for team success, especially for a team that stuggles to get run from the backline then he is one I would be looking straight away as improving our ladder position. Our current set up is nowhere near close enough with run.

I think back to the 05/06 side and we had multiple mids kicking 15-20+ (Embley, Judd, Cousins, Fletcher, Cox) while this year Sheed, Kelly, Yeo, Gaff, Nat and Shuey COMBINED kicked 24. We have so much capacity for scoring out of these players it isn't funny, at some point we need to look at where are our areas of improvement and I see a potential huge improvment in midfield scoring while also looking at how do we get the ball moving faster through the middle, the whole mark at right half back and then long kick to half forward if the switch isn't on is not winning us a premiership any time soon.

Our mids have been proven goal kickers in their careers

Sheed - 16 goals in 2019
Kelly - 24 goals in both 18 and 19
Yeo - 18, 16 and 14 goals in 2015, 16 and 18
Gaff not quite but still 3 seasons of 10+
Shuey - multiple seasons for 15-20+

Ryan hasn’t got a defensive bone in his body and is the textbook definition of a natural forward. He has no business playing in defence
If he was playing as a defender, he'd jump on someone's shoulders to take intercept mark of the year. Then he'd land, turn the wrong way to the wrong goal and slot it.

Just another reason for WCE fans to love the Hickster.

Like Petrie, he's just a likeable figure who was traded in and only played for a short period of time.
Yes Tbh we have recovered from losing Scotty lycett. If we Abel to hold on time him all our ruck problems would have been sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back