When will the Carlton FC Arrive? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The rationale behind my opinion on Carlton's prospects are much more detailed than what you suggest.

If I were to predict Carlton's medium term fortunes, I would say that if a lot goes right, they sneak into the finals in 2 or 3 of the next handful of years, and may sneak a finals win.

Will they contend with this iteration of rebuild? No, I don't believe they will.

Which is just bizarre given how much changes on a yearly basis, newfound flexibility with future trading, live trading, players breaking contracts early, clubs shopping contracted players (eg Treloar), increases in TPP and also the possibility of going 5% above or below the threshold in your cap.

Lists aren't static things. You either have some good pieces to work around, or you don't - the rest can be completely reformulated. Crystal balling 3-4 years into the future is a huge waste of time, and you've got form butchering predictions from 6 months ago.

It's hard to take you seriously at the best of times.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
lol at the reactions I got for saying we will play finals.

Well - I actually think we have a top four squad. Beating Richmond round one will confirm it.

(Blues must have made many football fans salty over the years)

In fairness you've probably predicted finals for the last 3 years.

Donnini

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
In fairness you've probably predicted finals for the last 3 years.

...and probably keep doing it.

I see nothing wrong with that - should have made it this year if injuries didnt cripple our season. We were fielding a VFL team for most of the season.

Bit of cohesion between this talented squad and should do exceptionally well.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
lol at the reactions I got for saying we will play finals.

Well - I actually think we have a top four squad. Beating Richmond round one will confirm it.

(Blues must have made many football fans salty over the years)

I am hoping I live long enough to see you beat Richmond in Rd 1, but my annuity company will spew if I do. 😎

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which is just bizarre given how much changes on a yearly basis, newfound flexibility with future trading, live trading, players breaking contracts early, clubs shopping contracted players (eg Treloar), increases in TPP and also the possibility of going 5% above or below the threshold in your cap.

Lists aren't static things. You either have some good pieces to work around, or you don't - the rest can be completely reformulated. Crystal balling 3-4 years into the future is a huge waste of time, and you've got form butchering predictions from 6 months ago.

It's hard to take you seriously at the best of times.
I would have thought in a thread titled 'When will the Carlton FC Arrive?', it is ALL about crystal balling?

Or are people only allowed to comment if they believe Carlton will contend with this current list build?

Madblue

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
In short, Carlton are going nowhere. Fast.

Is that concise enough for you?
If Carlton are going nowhere fast and we are miles ahead of Collingwood on and off the field then where does that leave them ? Pies won't be relevant for a long long time just as they havent been for decades

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
So the presence on your list of a load of youngsters who have done nothing yet somehow establishes that that your host of currently(as at start of 2022 season) 27+ yo recruits from other clubs won’t be past their prime as the "drafted by Carlton" part of your list enters its prime?

That doesn’t make much sense to me.

If you need to ask the question, it tells me that you are unaware of how age/experience impacts continuity/success, nor the composition of talent at each age range

He is like the monkey in the zoo that just flings poo mate ...

I will entertain it for a while, eventually he/she will tie themselves up in time

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I would have thought in a thread titled 'When will the Carlton FC Arrive?', it is ALL about crystal balling?

Or are people only allowed to comment if they believe Carlton will contend with this current list build?

I'm saying it's dumb crystal balling 3-4 years into the future, especially when you've got a recorded history of making poor predictions.

Forecasting Melbourne to stay tethered to the bottom 10 while Collingwood remain afloat despite their bad list and culture was hilarious.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm saying it's dumb crystal balling 3-4 years into the future, especially when you've got a recorded history of making poor predictions.

Forecasting Melbourne to stay tethered to the bottom 10 while Collingwood remain afloat despite their bad list and culture was hilarious.
I believe Carlton not making the 8 was also part of that prediction.

Thank god they allowed me to get part of it right...

Happy to be told where I've been wrong about Carlton since I joined BigFooty nearly 15 years ago...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I believe Carlton not making the 8 was also part of that prediction.

Thank god they allowed me to get part of it right...

Not a big prediction, with the majority of pundits having Carlton finishing just outside the 8.

The Melbourne call was horrendous though - embarrassing.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You really are struggling when you lean back on regurgitated opinion.

Let's cut to the chase, over the next 3 years, Pies won't be contending/making finals before us
I don't believe either team will be contending within the next three years.

I think we're about to enter a new era of super teams, like we saw between 2009 and 2011 with Geelong/Pies/Saints, where 3 or 4 teams will put a gap between themselves and the rest of the competition.

Melbourne
Doggies
Maybe Port or (less likely) Sydney

I'm not sold on Brisbane.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I was wrong about the Pies.

I was right about Carlton.

So by extension by being wrong about the Pies prospects, you're also wrong about the Blues in 2021.

Let's start making a list:

- Melbourne wont make finals in 2021
- Collingwood to finish above the Blues in 2021

Any other botched predictions?

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So by extension by being wrong about the Pies prospects, you're also wrong about the Blues in 2021.

Let's start making a list:

- Melbourne wont make finals in 2021
- Collingwood to finish above the Blues in 2021

Any other botched predictions?
Happy for you to share those specific predictions.

All I recall saying was that BOTH Melbourne AND Carlton would not be replacing perennial finalists West Coast AND Collingwood.

1 prediction, which was in fact correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back