2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Roy Maters strikes again!

How does he get away with this?
Because he is writing in a Sydney Paper that is read very little in Melbourne!
The only thing that was gifted to the private BOOT Owners/Developers of the Docklands Stadium by the State Govt was the land!

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Because he is writing in a Sydney Paper that is read very little in Melbourne!
The only thing that was gifted to the private BOOT Owners/Developers of the Docklands Stadium by the State Govt was the land!

Even the land wasnt gifted - thats literally what the AFL paid for the freehold title for. It was a little cheaper than it should have been commercially - but that was true of all the Docklands developments underway at the time. The Kennet Gov was desperate to open up the area.

In 2012, The Age would report that the Kennett Government had been giving land in the Docklands away for a song. One of the first land deals orchestrated by the Kennett government in 1999 in an effort to kickstart the Docklands precinct saw the 136,970 square metre New Quay precinct, roughly five city blocks in size, sold to developers MAB Corporation for $3 million. The deal priced the land that came with harbour access at $22 per square metre. (A Brunswick workers’ cottage in 1999 cost $991 per square metre.).

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Even the land wasnt gifted - thats literally what the AFL paid for the freehold title for. It was a little cheaper than it should have been commercially - but that was true of all the Docklands developments underway at the time. The Kennet Gov was desperate to open up the area.

In 2012, The Age would report that the Kennett Government had been giving land in the Docklands away for a song. One of the first land deals orchestrated by the Kennett government in 1999 in an effort to kickstart the Docklands precinct saw the 136,970 square metre New Quay precinct, roughly five city blocks in size, sold to developers MAB Corporation for $3 million. The deal priced the land that came with harbour access at $22 per square metre. (A Brunswick workers’ cottage in 1999 cost $991 per square metre.).

How we forget :thumbsu:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Come on man, the links are here....you did a sad face response to it

25 adult Australian football teams in London to 24 adult league teams in Melbourne

Haha, yeah OK

You thought that Aussie in exile 's english family never having seen a game of Aus football played in England (what a strange fact to know as an aside...did he ask them this specifically?) deserved a like

You thouight that Lip Gallagher deserved to have his "sports fan" credentials questioned for not having seen a League game played in Melbourne. It is just so weird!

Here's something to consider: there are more adult Aus football teams in London than there are adult rugby league teams in Melbourne

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans

"The Kennett government in 1999 in an effort to kickstart the Docklands precinct saw the 136,970 square metre New Quay precinct, roughly five city blocks in size, sold to developers MAB Corporation for $3 million. The deal priced the land that came with harbour access at $22 per square metre."

Well as good as gifted by Kennett MAB have been laughing all the way to the bank ever since!
As you say he was (very)desperate to get things started in the former rundown dockland area.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The Dolphins will become the 17th NRL team to enter the Telstra Premiership from 2023 after being granted a licence in an historic announcement made by the ARL Commission on Wednesday.

The NRL Telstra Premiership will expand to a 26-round competition as part of the Dolphins' entry with every team continuing to play 24 games in the regular season.

The total number of regular season games will increase from 192 to 204 with teams receiving two byes.

It will be a condition of the licence that the Dolphins spend $2 million every year on participation and growing the women’s game in Southeast Queensland

The Dolphins satisfied a number of criteria, including being able to produce a bank cheque of $50 million over the course of the next five years to prove they were sustainable. They also demonstrated they could increase interest and participation in rugby league without adversely affecting the Broncos, Cowboys or Titans.

Their catchment area – has more than 10,000 registered junior players. The Dolphins junior club alone has 50 teams and 800 registered players in an area that is predicted to further expand.

Foxtel was prepared to commit a further $100 million over the next five years for another Queensland side. That offsets the predicted $75 million cost for the NRL to fund the new team, enough to placate the existing clubs.

As part of their entry to the competition, the Dolphins have agreed to invest $1 million per annum on grassroots rugby league and pathways as well as an additional $1 million per annum on women’s rugby league pathways and development.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I'm a little surprised the imminent announcement of the 17th NRL club isnt being discussed more in this thread.

It's something i've taken an interest in the last few weeks, up until then I didn't really care. I guess it's the politics and the economics of it that's got my attention.

They seem to have gone with the mega-generic name "The Dolphins" which I can't believe will be long term. No sporting team will succeed without an identity. But it's got me thinking down the conspiracy angle - you reckon they've been set up to fail by the NRL under influence from the Broncos? They picked a club 40km from the city, basically on the outskirts. It's barely Brisbane. It's not like they get thousands going to their matches currently - even grand finals they play in are poorly attended. So without an existing support base and by abandoning their geographic link they won't appeal to many people. Then I heard they intend to play at Suncorp, so it's going to be a chore to get there for anyone actually from Redcliffe.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me - am I reading it wrong? The only thing that I can see that i'm underestimating is perhaps a big number of people that don't currently have a team and just want to support someone that's not the Broncos. So even if they don't live anywhere near Redcliffe they'll jump on board for that reason.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
It's something i've taken an interest in the last few weeks, up until then I didn't really care. I guess it's the politics and the economics of it that's got my attention.

They seem to have gone with the mega-generic name "The Dolphins" which I can't believe will be long term. No sporting team will succeed without an identity. But it's got me thinking down the conspiracy angle - you reckon they've been set up to fail by the NRL under influence from the Broncos? They picked a club 40km from the city, basically on the outskirts. It's barely Brisbane. It's not like they get thousands going to their matches currently - even grand finals they play in are poorly attended. So without an existing support base and by abandoning their geographic link they won't appeal to many people. Then I heard they intend to play at Suncorp, so it's going to be a chore to get there for anyone actually from Redcliffe.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me - am I reading it wrong? The only thing that I can see that i'm underestimating is perhaps a big number of people that don't currently have a team and just want to support someone that's not the Broncos. So even if they don't live anywhere near Redcliffe they'll jump on board for that reason.
I think you have brought up some interesting points also the new club could have an adverse effect on the GC Titans re recruiting players to QLD!

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
Wookie "As part of their entry to the competition, the Dolphins have agreed to invest $1 million per annum on grassroots rugby league and pathways as well as an additional $1 million per annum on women’s rugby league pathways and development."

How many times have we heard this from the NRL and clubs and it come to nothing?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Wookie "As part of their entry to the competition, the Dolphins have agreed to invest $1 million per annum on grassroots rugby league and pathways as well as an additional $1 million per annum on women’s rugby league pathways and development."

How many times have we heard this from the NRL and clubs and it come to nothing?

first time ive ever heard this kind of commitment demanded from an expansion club

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
I think you have brought up some interesting points also the new club could have an adverse effect on the GC Titans re recruiting players to QLD!

The Storm gets many of their players from Queensland, perhaps most.
Also, they started that netball franchise on the Sunshine Coast, so I'm guessing that at one point they were earmarking that region as their development area, considering they ain't getting any players out of Melbourne in a hurry.

Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
I'm curious if the decision of the NRL to go with the Dolphins came as a relief to the AFL (obviously no new teams would have been the preference, but I mean within the scope of the three possibilities at play).

From the outside looking in with no local knowledge, with the Lions pushing hard into Ipswich I think the Jets bid was probably the most worrying from an AFL perspective. The Jets were going to build a new stadium in Ipswich and lean hard into identifying with the region, whereas the Dolphins seem to be walking away from their Redcliffe identity and going for a generic, location-less brand (a bit like North did for a while), and playing out of the same stadium as the existing team.

In any case, fascinating to see how the new club will go both in the short and long term. If nothing else it creates three additional QLD darby matches each year.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
I'm curious if the decision of the NRL to go with the Dolphins came as a relief to the AFL (obviously no new teams would have been the preference, but I mean within the scope of the three possibilities at play).

From the outside looking in with no local knowledge, with the Lions pushing hard into Ipswich I think the Jets bid was probably the most worrying from an AFL perspective. The Jets were going to build a new stadium in Ipswich and lean hard into identifying with the region, whereas the Dolphins seem to be walking away from their Redcliffe identity and going for a generic, location-less brand (a bit like North did for a while), and playing out of the same stadium as the existing team.

In any case, fascinating to see how the new club will go both in the short and long term. If nothing else it creates three additional QLD darby matches each year.
I believe an Ipswich expansion may be next on the NRL expansion wish list.

Demonoid

All Australian
Dec 17, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GWS
This is paywalled so here is some of the text..

Nine Entertainment poised to pay ‘top dollar’ for new five-year NRL deal

"Despite speculation Seven was considering a bid to snatch the lucrative rights to the three-match State of Origin series – and possibly do a deal to claim a handful of NRL games each week – it’s understood the sport’s chairman Peter V’landys and Nine boss Mike Sneesby are set to ink a new five-year deal later this week. There have also been suggestions Network Ten was planning to throw its hat into the ring for a slice of the NRL pie, but The Australian has been told that idea quickly fizzled out, with neither party giving it serious consideration."

"While the NRL and Nine may have an in-principle agreement, it’s understood the final dollar value of the broadcast rights has yet to be finalised, although agreement is said to be “close”. Under the previous five-year deal, Nine paid $575m in cash and contra for the rights, although the network was granted a discount in 2020 due to interruptions caused by the coronavirus crisis. It’s expected Nine will have to pay more than that to seal the deal – possibly about $600m – on the next free-to-air contract, which would run from the beginning of the 2023 season to the end of the 2027 competition. Senior media analysts suggested to The Australian Nine would likely pay “top dollar” for the broadcast rights, given the interest expressed by rival free-to-air networks this time around will have inflated the price."

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
This is paywalled so here is some of the text..

Nine Entertainment poised to pay ‘top dollar’ for new five-year NRL deal

"Despite speculation Seven was considering a bid to snatch the lucrative rights to the three-match State of Origin series – and possibly do a deal to claim a handful of NRL games each week – it’s understood the sport’s chairman Peter V’landys and Nine boss Mike Sneesby are set to ink a new five-year deal later this week. There have also been suggestions Network Ten was planning to throw its hat into the ring for a slice of the NRL pie, but The Australian has been told that idea quickly fizzled out, with neither party giving it serious consideration."

"While the NRL and Nine may have an in-principle agreement, it’s understood the final dollar value of the broadcast rights has yet to be finalised, although agreement is said to be “close”. Under the previous five-year deal, Nine paid $575m in cash and contra for the rights, although the network was granted a discount in 2020 due to interruptions caused by the coronavirus crisis. It’s expected Nine will have to pay more than that to seal the deal – possibly about $600m – on the next free-to-air contract, which would run from the beginning of the 2023 season to the end of the 2027 competition. Senior media analysts suggested to The Australian Nine would likely pay “top dollar” for the broadcast rights, given the interest expressed by rival free-to-air networks this time around will have inflated the price."

i wonder how Nine would pay top doillar now zero other fta broadcasters are interested.

i wonder how Nine would pay top doillar now zero other fta broadcasters are interested.

It's a weird story. Apparently neither the NRL or Channel 10 ever seriously entertained the idea of bidding but it has somehow inflated the price anyway?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
You you haven't got a link to back up your claim.
Nothing new from you then

AFL Clubs in England 23, 8 clubs in AFL London. Some clubs have more than one adult team

We currently have 23 clubs either based in England or playing in AFL-sanctioned leagues. These include clubs playing in AFL London, AFL CNE, Southern England and National University Leagues.

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back