Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Carlton has just resigned or recommitted to some seriously average players with Setterfield remaining out of contract.

I expect we'll sign him as a DFA.
Setterfield is apparently contracted to 2022. (If you're using footywire, it's notoriously bad at this time of year)

Actually the other thing that just struck me, if we are happy with someone who is going to be a physical liability but has speed, dancing feet, skills and tricks to burn Tyrone Thorne is almost certainly a more well rounded prospect and free too.

If you’re going to be 173 and skinny, you may as well be 169 and skinny.

Actually the other thing that just struck me, if we are happy with someone who is going to be a physical liability but has speed, dancing feet, skills and tricks to burn Tyrone Thorne is almost certainly a more well rounded prospect and free too.

If you’re going to be 173 and skinny, you may as well be 169 and skinny.
58 kegs. Wow. He’d be on 6 loafs of bread a day if we drafted him

The stat sheet lies when it comes to contested possessions perhaps more than any other stat. It should really be called "disputed ball possession". This would then include both the contested ball in dispute, which could be separately measured, and loose ball gets which are currently considered contested possessions (as opposed to uncontested possessions which are essentially possession receives).
I am pretty sure loose ball gets are recorded separately by champion data, but it's not publicly available information. The clubs would have it though of course.

Honestly, we have a good strike rate at small forwards later in the draft, I would have zero issues taking a Paul Curtis or Jahmal Stretch or any others that fall down the order at one of our third round picks either

Honestly, we have a good strike rate at small forwards later in the draft, I would have zero issues taking a Paul Curtis or Jahmal Stretch or any others that fall down the order at one of our third round picks either

I reckon the ones you pick up late are generally better fits for the small forward role, K Pickett being the most notable recent exception.

You want work rate, pressure and crumbing ability.

High marks and kicking 4 impossible goals a year has virtually no correlation with winning games.

Take Weightman for example. I don't really need him taking marks, not when I have a forward line of Naughton/Darcy, JUH and English. Give me a motivated Butler, ect over that type of player. Even Jamie Elliott, he's a key forward when you have none.

Constable and Sier delisted. It’s a no for me on Sier. Haven’t seen enough of Constable to make that call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's look at it from this perspective. Small forwards who've kicked 30+ goals in a year since 2017 (aka the last 5 years):

Greene (pick 11)
Cameron (Rookie)
Papley (Rookie)
Pickett (pick 8)
Walla (Rookie)
Breust (Rookie)
Bailey (pick 15)
Walters (pick 53)
Sexton (pick 88)
Lloyd (pick 66)
Eddie (Rookie)
Ryan (Pick 26)
Cripps (Pick 24)
Matera (GC pre-selection)
J Thomas (Rookie? I think)
Gray (pick 55)
Gresham (pick 18)
LeCras (pick 37)
Garlett (pick 85)
Fantasia (pick 55)
Elliott (GWS pre-selection)

Maybe I've set the bar a little low but 14/21 were outside of the first two rounds. You're more likely to find a "gun" small forward from pick 40 onwards than you are in the first round.

If it’s true we were in the market for Dunstan then this seems a no-brainer. Constable is essentially a younger Dunstan with a higher ceiling.

Let's look at it from this perspective. Small forwards who've kicked 30+ goals in a year since 2017 (aka the last 5 years):

Greene (pick 11)
Cameron (Rookie)
Papley (Rookie)
Pickett (pick 8)
Walla (Rookie)
Breust (Rookie)
Bailey (pick 15)
Walters (pick 53)
Sexton (pick 88)
Lloyd (pick 66)
Eddie (Rookie)
Ryan (Pick 26)
Cripps (Pick 24)
Matera (GC pre-selection)
J Thomas (Rookie? I think)
Gray (pick 55)
Gresham (pick 18)
LeCras (pick 37)
Garlett (pick 85)
Fantasia (pick 55)
Elliott (GWS pre-selection)

Maybe I've set the bar a little low but 14/21 were outside of the first two rounds. You're more likely to find a "gun" small forward from pick 40 onwards than you are in the first round.

That's more so because small forwards aren't often picked in the first round anyway, to get a better idea you'd need to see the list of first round busts. As that list stands, Greene, Pickett, Bailey and Gresham have all more than justified being picked in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back