No Oppo Supporters The Sun Lounge (Suns posters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

As always Bods is a little over the top but unless something dramatic happens this year there is no way we retain King Lukosius and Rankine
I know this Board is supposed to be the safe space for the dreamers but the reality is that at least one of those guys will not be here this time next year
Sadly I've also heard Rowell is concerned about whether his injuries are being managed as well as they could be (a la Jaeger)
We all know what happened when Dave Swallow and Jaeger lost their burst speed
They went from generational players to inside plodders
Rumour, innuendo, whispers sure-but I'm hearing this from multiple sources
I'm sure eppo67 has heard the same -that some players we would like to keep are already gone
It's not rocket surgery
Even a successful new club like GWS that has played multiple finals struggles for retention
We aren't special
In fact finishing last or second last year in year out and playing in front of 9000 fans a lot of whom are expat opposition supporters makes us pretty unspecial
We smash it next year maybe just maybe we retain a couple who might have walked but I think it's going to have to be extraordinary
My silver lining is that our off-field setup is the best it's ever been
If we lose our stars next year then we probably won't sink to the bottom for 5 years like we have in the past because I have much more faith in our systems and back of house infrastructure- and we may just be able to trade into a Big Fish if we lose our own big fish

As always Bods is a little over the top but unless something dramatic happens this year there is no way we retain King Lukosius and Rankine
I know this Board is supposed to be the safe space for the dreamers but the reality is that at least one of those guys will not be here this time next year
Sadly I've also heard Rowell is concerned about whether his injuries are being managed as well as they could be (a la Jaeger)
I'm sure eppo67 has heard the same -that some players we would like to keep are already gone
It's not rocket surgery
Even a successful new club like GWS that has played multiple finals struggles for retention
We aren't special
In fact finishing last or second last year in year out and playing in front of 9000 fans a lot of whom are expat opposition supporters makes us pretty unspecial
We smash it next year maybe just maybe we retain a couple who might have walked but I think it's going to have to be extraordinary
If we lose our stars next year then we probably won't sink to the bottom for 5 years like we have in the past because I have much more faith in our systems and back of house infrastructure- and we may just be able to trade into a Big Fish if we lose our own big fish

Despite this and it being so obvious that history is about to repeat and there will be more misery for Members and the kids of the GC the enablers will say “nothing to see here, everything will be fine” and Dew will be enabled to fail even more.

Despite this and it being so obvious that history is about to repeat and there will be more misery for Members and the kids of the GC the enablers will say “nothing to see here, everything will be fine” and Dew will be enabled to fail even more.
If he fails and we lose players he won't be here in 2023
From what I've heard he's only here in 2022 due to a lack of a suitable replacement
He's definitely not the worst coach in the World and coaching the Suns would be crazy hard but to have delivered what he has in 4 years with the expectation it will magically be better in 2022 is a stretch for even the most optimistic Suns fan let alone the jaded ones like me

It's not rocket surgery
We aren't special
Honestly all l have heard is the playing group is very tight and happy.
Also they are excited about the change of
Football Manager and incoming experienced coaches.
That's it.

I do think the totally uninspiring home crowd would be pretty energy sapping as opposed to motivating like it would be for Richmond / West Coast / Adelaide.

See Isak really trying to pump it up and just get nothing back.

I do worry about that.

I suppose winning changes that a bit though.

hire a crowd lol

Give tickets away..
I Dono just fill the bloody place

That's it.
On this, I was told there is a sense of camaraderie within the playing group that we have previously lacked in seasons gone buy, young fellas really gelling with each other and the older team-mates.
Hollands, Flanders, Sharp, Powell in particular are going to be life long best mates with the friendship they've created.

On this, I was told there is a sense of camaraderie within the playing group that we have previously lacked in seasons gone buy, young fellas really gelling with each other and the older team-mates.
Hollands, Flanders, Sharp, Powell in particular are going to be life long best mates with the friendship they've created.
Hollands has a younger brother - Ollie Hollands coming through next year.
Rated as a top 10 candidate.
Midfielder 182cm - a little shorter - but a better runner apparently.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to pair this set of brothers up.

That's it.
Great news
They do seem that way but it remains to be seen whether that translates into on field success and contract renewal
Better than the other way round though!

Great news
They do seem that way but it remains to be seen whether that translates into on field success and contract renewal
Better than the other way round though!

Also pretty possible to have a tight and happy playing group but also a concern over long term AFL injury management. i.e., what access do we get to best in field people when it comes to treating and rehabbing ACL/PCL/MCL, syndesmosis, and shoulder reco's?

On contract renewal, if we are in the draft range of a keen surfer, draft the surfer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also pretty possible to have a tight and happy playing group but also a concern over long term AFL injury management. i.e., what access do we get to best in field people when it comes to treating and rehabbing ACL/PCL/MCL, syndesmosis, and shoulder reco's?

On contract renewal, if we are in the draft range of a keen surfer, draft the surfer.
Yeah.
I'm glad they're all good mates a la "Band of Brothers" but that really just translates into Luko getting a big hug from Lachie Weller post game when the Crows thrash us by 10 goals in 2 years time at the AO and he kicks 5 against us

Last edited:
Recommend listening to AFL daily podcast this week for series on 'dynasties'
First episode is about the Lions with interviews with Leigh, Aker, Brown - really great insight into some of the things that the Lions did off the field to become a premiership team.

Listening - I think some of the lessons would be useful for our club, 25 years on!

Recommend listening to AFL daily podcast this week for series on 'dynasties'
First episode is about the Lions with interviews with Leigh, Aker, Brown - really great insight into some of the things that the Lions did off the field to become a premiership team.

Listening - I think some of the lessons would be useful for our club, 25 years on!
Everyone has their own journey

Bods got out at the right time eh
Not sure I won't follow him out the door
Will have a discussion with the kids tonight at dinner as to whether they want to be members this year
Always the hook of having been day 1 Foundation members but I think the Club needs to hear the message that their incompetence can't continue to be rewarded
And sadly the only way that message gets through from Joe Public is by not renewing expensive membership packages

Bods got out at the right time eh
Not sure I won't follow him out the door
Will have a discussion with the kids tonight at dinner as to whether they want to be members this year
Always the hook of having been day 1 Foundation members but I think the Club needs to hear the message that their incompetence can't continue to be rewarded
And sadly the only way that message gets through from Joe Public is by not renewing expensive membership packages
I actually renewed 2 memberships for the first time in a few years yesterday thinking with Hugh back from injury and another preseason into our kids we would really be a chance to turn it on next year. Should have known better :'(

I dropped from family of 4 to just me with my kids now not interested (youngest) or working in most timeslots. And my ex wasn’t interested in keeping her ticket. I toyed with idea of one last gee up with my youngest to keep coming with me but meh, no interest now for me to do that

made a list of some controversial decisions & events over the years. let me know if i've missed any!

• made gary ablett jnr captain (led from the front on field, but probably pushed into the role as we had no one else)
  • went for super young list strategy early on, a couple aging mature recruits other than gaz.
  • guy mckenna inaugural head coach (no prior experience)
  • harley bennell dropped for disciplinary reasons multiple times throughout season
  • campbell brown removed from leadership group after being detailed after bar fight in thailand (3 other players involved)
  • reportedly spending $400k less on club staff than league average (reported in 2018 - under-resourced in critical football department)

• harley bennell caught with illicit drugs in tassie
  • joel wilkinson racially vilified by teammates at wacky wednesday
  • campbell brown sacked (punched steven may in USA)

• 7 suns players reportely did cocaine at party in august
  • drug use continued at mad monday lunch on gold coast in september
  • a week later, 12 players went on 4 day golf trip and did cocaine
  • lack of leadership let playing group become divided around 2013 (god squad, crack heads)
  • guy mckenna fired / rodney eade hired

• karmichael hunt arrested for cocaine use
  • harley bennell has drunken altercation and is traded to freo
  • charlie dixon leaves as free agent
  • traded pick 3, 10 & 43 for melbourne's pick 6, 29 & 2016 1st rd (melb's pick 3 ended up being clayton oliver, suns selected callum ah chee)

• jaeger o'meara leaves as free agent, after missing 2015 & 2016 through injury
  • dion prestia leaves as free agent

• gary ablett jnr leaves as free agent (current club captain)
  • rodney eade fired / stuart dew hired
  • jarrod harbrow loses license after drink driving
  • traded #21, #26, #37 & 2018 2nd rd for west coast #50 & 2018 1st rd (west coast won GF in 2018)

• jon haines films stuart dew pissing outside a pub (news released in 2020)
  • tom lynch leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • steven may leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • jarryd lyons delisted (salary cap issues supposedly)

• brayden crossley suspended for 12 months for anti-doping violation (cocaine)
  • jack martin leaves club after failing to come to trade agreement with carlton (no compensation)

• signed rory atkins to massive deal (turned up to preseason out of shape, lack of professionalism, etc.).
  • peter wright traded for future 4th rd pick (former pick 8, failed development)

• hugh greenwood delisted with intention to re-list in rookie draft, signed by north melbourne

Last edited:
harbs
made a list of some controversial decisions & events over the years. let me know if i've missed any!

• made gary ablett jnr captain (led from the front on field, but probably pushed into the role as we had no one else)
  • went for super young list strategy early on, a couple aging mature recruits other than gaz.
  • guy mckenna inaugural head coach (no prior experience)
  • harley bennell dropped for disciplinary reasons multiple times throughout season
  • campbell brown removed from leadership group after being detailed after bar fight in thailand (3 other players involved)
  • reportedly spending $400k less on club staff than league average (reported in 2018 - under-resourced in critical football department)

• harley bennell caught with illicit drugs in tassie
  • joel wilkinson racially vilified by teammates at wacky wednesday
  • campbell brown sacked (punched steven may in USA)

• 7 suns players reportely did cocaine at party in august
  • drug use continued at mad monday lunch on gold coast in september
  • a week later, 12 players went on 4 day golf trip and did cocaine
  • lack of leadership let playing group become divided around 2013 (god squad, crack heads)
  • guy mckenna fired / rodney eade hired

• karmichael hunt arrested for cocaine use
  • harley bennell has drunken altercation and is traded to freo
  • charlie dixon leaves as free agent

• jaeger o'meara leaves as free agent, after missing 2015 & 2016 through injury
  • dion prestia leaves as free agent

• gary ablett jnr leaves as free agent (current club captain)
  • rodney eade fired / stuart dew hired

• jon haines films stuart dew pissing outside a pub (news released in 2020)
  • tom lynch leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • steven may leaves as free agent (current club co-captain)
  • jarryd lyons delisted (salary cap issues supposedly)

• brayden crossley suspended for 12 months for anti-doping violation (cocaine)
  • jack martin leaves club after failing to come to trade agreement with carlton (no compensation)

• signed rory atkins to massive deal (turned up to preseason out of shape, lack of professionalism, etc.).
  • peter wright traded for future 4th rd pick (former pick 8, failed development)

• hugh greenwood delisted with intention to re-list in rookie draft, signed by north melbourne
Harbs had a drink driving episode somewhere in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back