Think Tank Is it time to ban greyhound racing and horse racing for good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Is racing dogs for prize money and gambling revenue acceptable in this day and age?
45 dogs have been put down this year after breaking their legs in races.
A few years ago they found 100 dead greyhounds in a hole because they couldnt run 400m in 25 seconds.
Not to mention live baiting, a disgusting practice.

On to horse racing.
You could win $1.3 million in prize money but still end up with a bolt through your head if you slow down a little.
The prince of horse racing, Chautauqua, made a stand and refused to race or be whipped.
Is Chautauqua the Spartacus of the modern age?
How many horse trainers haven't done something dodgy to their horses eg bi-carb of soda down the throat?

The great Chautauqua refusing to race for idiots and money hungry bogans.

images (7) (27).jpeg

Last edited:
I think we should ban everything that we don’t like.
I nominate Vegans and Social media influencers.
Keep the ideas comin.
Social media influencers- yes. Ban the whole lot of them and take away their superannuation.

yep, ban them. ban gambling on sport altogther. and turn off those stupid banner ads at the footy that run around the boundary.

It's well past time we stopped using animals and allowing them to die for our entertainment.

There was nothing more predictable than the Government making exemptions for the Melbourne Cup though, these old so called national pastimes die hard.

The best we can do is protest and abstain. Don't participate at work or at school, or in other spaces where this s**t is normalised.

I love it. Keep the little campaigners running for my entertainment.

We need to make dog fighting a televised event. And utensil fighting too.

Animals have got to start earning their keep. For too long they’ve lived off our hard work - look at domesticated animals for example, they just lay about all day making a mess and waiting to get fed. This status quo cannot continue.

Why do people in this thread talk about people being "offended"?? It shouldnt be banned because anyone is offended by it, it should be banned because it is uneccessary and awful cruelty to animals. It causes suffering for no good reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Bullfighting and that stupid running of the bulls in Italy are primal, outdated events.

The best part is when the bull wins and demolishes a human.
You mean Spain and if the Bull wins a bullfight they kill it and it's entire blood line.

Lining up a stupid yank in the running is a free pass though.

Why do people in this thread talk about people being "offended"?? It shouldnt be banned because anyone is offended by it, it should be banned because it is uneccessary and awful cruelty to animals. It causes suffering for no good reason.
It's a slippery slope though. AFL is as unnecessary and causes physical harm the players. Think of the mental health of 17 teams supporters every year and the livers of the 1 team supporters. Should we start banning AFL too?

It's a slippery slope though. AFL is as unnecessary and causes physical harm the players. Think of the mental health of 17 teams supporters every year and the livers of the 1 team supporters. Should we start banning AFL too?
AFL players can consent to play or not.

I think Bullfighting and that stupid running of the bulls in Italy are primal, outdated events.

The best part is when the bull wins and demolishes a human.

I love it when those bulls get a human. Does that make me a sadist? It's in Spain the running of the bulls festival.

What about that stupid tomato thing the Spaniards do? At least no animals come to harm with that.

And fois gras is sill legal in France, parts of Spain, even Canada which surprised me (though it's probaby the French influence). Banned in just about all other civilised countries.

Whoever eats fois gras is just a sick *.

I love my meat though, if I was a vegetarian I would have told you already.

Listen here, those animals that win the big and even minor races get a lot of pleasure out of winning.

When they get those little sashes draped over them, you know they feel all of the hard work was worth it. They are athletes, let them do what they were bred for and stop trying to play god.

I’d say they have a lot of baggage and are an awful looking dog. Only good for running fast.

And just like DanWA they require a muzzle whenever they are out in public. At least in the North Korean Republic of WA.

Not an animal lover then?

I love my dogs. And they need to eat.

If we ban horse racing they'll have to eat Aardvarks or Pangolins or some such. Or the lips and arseholes that go into hotdogs. How bad a place would the world be if dogs and cats were eating all our hotdogs?

I think horses are a more environmentally friendly diet.

More efficient, too. These horses would never have been born were it not for racing. Then when they fail or get worn out, Scruffy chows down. Everybody is a winner.

You can't argue with that. It's a great system. Like zero carbon, but with fur.

What would jokeys do if they’re not riding horses? Join the circus? Dwarf shows for football teams? Surely this is not humane??

I don’t think the anti-racing people have really thought through their position apart from being overly emotional about a horse being shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back