List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
I
Just on the Brander situation, it certainly sucks losing him for nothing. I guess if he wasn't a first round pick we probably wouldn't think twice, but its probably amplified by the fact we haven't had many disastrous first round picks in the last 10-15 years like many other clubs have had.

The silver lining is we basically get a first round pick from 1 draft before for nothing as well, a player which probably suits our needs a lot better.

The problem for brander is even after JK retires, its hard to see how he still fits in our forward line. You'd argue JD, Allen and Waterman are all ahead of him, not to mention a resting ruck type such as Williams. He clearly doesn't want to play midfield or defence so he is essentially waiting for a JD retirement to get a regular game
Thought Brander guarded space well on the fat side wing ok . He even started to show glimpses of an Elliot Yeo . Especially the socks . I think he could do it if he wants to do it . Its all about ❤ ( heart ) not love . How much he wants to put in.

Not bad at all.

My proposal:
WCE 2022 1st (pick 10?) + WCE 2022 2nd (pick 30?) + 29 + 35
for
Brisbane 2022 1st (pick 17?) + 14 + 18

Equiv of pick 72 in points gain for the Lions.

Leaves us with 10, 14, 18, 68 to go hard this year for picks (Johnson, JVR, Sheldrick, Erasmus, Browne etc). Obviously a gamble for 2022 placing, but that could be a massive motivating factor. Brisbane's list is strong and they need points for 2022, and we don't lose a first round pick for the 2022 draft. They might be happy to slip down the order with two mid second rounders if that means strengthening for 2022.
Do we really want more picks when Freo have dibs at two highest WA players available?

Not bad at all.

My proposal:
WCE 2022 1st (pick 10?) + WCE 2022 2nd (pick 30?) + 29 + 35
for
Brisbane 2022 1st (pick 17?) + 14 + 18

Equiv of pick 72 in points gain for the Lions.

Leaves us with 10, 14, 18, 68 to go hard this year for picks (Johnson, JVR, Sheldrick, Erasmus, Browne etc). Obviously a gamble for 2022 placing, but that could be a massive motivating factor. Brisbane's list is strong and they need points for 2022, and we don't lose a first round pick for the 2022 draft. They might be happy to slip down the order with two mid second rounders if that means strengthening for 2022.

So Brisbane give us 3 1st rounders for 1 future pick and a couple of 2nds?

They aren’t the Suns, they wouldn’t do that in a million years.

Brisbane also have a couple highly rated academy kids next year they’ll need to match bids for, so I don’t think our future first would hold as much value to them.

Pick 10 and 29 for their 14 and 18 could be possible, I’d only do that if certain guys were off the board at 10 though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Proposal:
West Coast trade 10 and a next year R2 pick for 14 and 18.

That would leave us with 14, 18, 29 and 35. I would then look to sell off 68 to a club like St Kilda for a future R4. They will need points for 2 NGA prospects this year. There will be other takers.
View attachment 1260417
I feel very uncomfortable with that, too high a price.

Scratch our 2nd rounder and make it next years 3rd or 4th.

Under no circumstances should we be trading next years 1st or 2nd, unless it's a stupid GC one.

Turning our attention to future picks, then the door opens for us. I believe Brisbane are tight on list spots and will therefore not use all of their points bearing picks of 14, 18, 41, 54 and 60. They are also looking at 2 NGA/FS selections in 2022 with Ashcroft likely to be a top 10 pick. Therefore, I see a great opportunity to help them move up the board in 2021 and to move points from this year to next year.

Proposal:
West Coast trade 10 and a next year R2 pick for 14 and 18.

That would leave us with 14, 18, 29 and 35. I would then look to sell off 68 to a club like St Kilda for a future R4. They will need points for 2 NGA prospects this year. There will be other takers.

Rationale:-
I think we will get a similar class mid at 10 as we will get at 14 (probably still get MJ, or Goater or Wanganeen etc) plus we get van Rooyen or another class mid at 18. At 29, we go for a tough inside like Sheldrick or Taylor. At 35 we pick up another midfielder like Joshua Browne or alike.

That would leave us with taking NGA Regan as a rookie along with a Polson or Jones. Follow up with Farmer or Lawson as Cat B prospects.

We effectively bring forward our second rounder by 12 months and get an additional year of development into them prior to losing some of our older mids, whilst we retain our first third and have 2 x fourth rounders next year.

Looking visually at the picks retained and traded for next year, it looks Freo have very little to trade next year and the Suns have banked picks again with 3 second rounders (sound familiar). Maybe Rawlings gets Norf to buy the 2 R2!!!

View attachment 1260417
I’d love for this to happen. Pick 18 right in front of freos 19, yes please. High chance we could go JVR at 18. Also might mean that they’ll feel like taking someone like Amiss with 6/8 knowing we’ve got 1 ahead of them later that round. Can’t see any negative with this route to be honest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't mind taking a punt on Constable for free? Good age. Knights might know a bit about him but he might not also rate him.
He was reported to have elite endurance and hand skills during the draft period. And knew how to regularly find the ball. Not sure if Geelong killed that like we did with Brander. But the knock on him was his speed and acceleration. Couldve turned out ok but I guess not now

How would we feel if we took Toby Conway at our third pick? I would be OK as he is the stand out ruckman in the draft pool. He is 204 cm and 90kg.

IO think if we go mid with 10 and 29, I would be happy with Toby.

View attachment 1260584

Strnadica vs Conway mate?
Strnadica would be able to help out straight away. Still only 23.
Conway high ceiling?

He was reported to have elite endurance and hand skills during the draft period. And knew how to regularly find the ball. Not sure if Geelong killed that like we did with Brander. But the knock on him was his speed and acceleration. Couldve turned out ok but I guess not now
Elite endurance?

Wasn't Constable the player who had to do a mini pre season before the draft because his time trials were so poor ?

Had to do another time trial privately

Elite endurance?

Wasn't Constable the player who had to do a mini pre season before the draft because his time trials were so poor ?

Had to do another time trial privately
Him and Rayner really tanked the last time trial before the draft, was a real concern on Constable pre draft and one of the main reasons he slid so far was concerns on his tank.

Really struggles away from the centre and doesn’t have any other defining strengths to make him any more than a good VFL footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back