Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Faaaaarrrrrkkkkkkk NO! x 100!

yeah i respectfully disagree too. Jeff’s logic as expressed on 3aw was fine - diversity of experience covering specified areas.

But they need to be leaders in their field, decades of experience (covering good times and bad), and not afraid of a robust but respectful debate. I don’t care if they are hawks supporters or not.

The references to a unified / collegiate / unanimous board are alarm bells to me. Diverse (but informed) views and respectful debate leads to better outcomes.

Jeff “What they are trying to do, many of them — not all — is to either silence me or to remove the platform that I have as a former premier and as an experienced individual in commerce, politics and not-for-profits. "

Its not supposed to be a platform for your personal s**t,its supposed to be only about Hawthorn

The club erred when they asked him back. Pity no one was stepping forward at that stage and the club was in a bit of a bind at the time.

Now Jeff has outstayed his welcome and his ego is influencing his better judgment. Hopefully he agrees to go soon enough as the major issue is him alone.

cmon Jeff do what is right

yeah i respectfully disagree too. Jeff’s logic as expressed on 3aw was fine - diversity of experience covering specified areas.

But they need to be leaders in their field, decades of experience (covering good times and bad), and not afraid of a robust but respectful debate. I don’t care if they are hawks supporters or not.

The references to a unified / collegiate / unanimous board are alarm bells to me. Diverse (but informed) views and respectful debate leads to better outcomes.

I mostly agree, but I think that they definitely need to be hawks supporters. I also believe that there should be at least one regular member on the board (definitely not all of them) so that there is always a regular member voice to be heard.

Voting in the occasional mail-in ballot isn't enough. The club board is where it is now because members don't get a representative voice on club direction. We just keep getting the same type or corporate directors getting elected uncontested year after year.

I'm definitely not suggesting we fill the board with nuffies. We just need a voice, someone in the room where it happens.

Alistair is gone, I've accepted it. Sam now has my support (and it seems the senior players too), but my view from afar is our board was hand-picked by Jeff for unity over good governance. 'It's Time' for some independant and critical thinkers on the Hawthorn board.

This is true to the point that I think the term unity is being kind.

Jeff seems to embrace the classic sociopathic, political strongman philosophy... any criticism or counter view is an unfair personal attack, and his ideas are the only ones that matter. Hence you get a board he can fire on a whim, decisions without due diligence, erratic social media use, rambling nonsense in letters to members etc.

He doesn't want critical thinkers, or due process.. just more yes men.

Its not supposed to be a platform for your personal sh*t,its supposed to be only about Hawthorn

Kennett seemingly always did confuse the power of the position with the job itself.

His superpower is perhaps an ability to hold powerful positions, while not ever really understanding what he's supposed to be doing.

At the risk of sounding a tad dramatic: History is littered with the wreckage of organisations who stood behind people who were like this.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mentally impaired option could be tested. There are plenty of people who think he's a cretin.

Jesus Christ - this is why the pro-Kennett people think people on this board are for ousting Jeff because of personal hatred, and not because of his performance.

You can call the man many things, but he's still sharp as a tack and actively engaged in the world around him. That's half the problem. He's too engaged in things that are a poor look for the Hawks.

Kennett seemingly always did confuse the power of the position with the job itself.

His superpower is perhaps an ability to hold powerful positions, while not ever really understanding what he's supposed to be doing.

At the risk of sounding a tad dramatic: History is littered with the wreckage of organisations who stood behind people who were like this.

like the Victorian liberal party, whom Jeff designed a succession plan for back when

I think we’re OK with Sammy, but we didn’t do diligence on selecting a new coach. I think public business succession plans are for risk mitigation and the candidate still has to go through a competitive selection process, particularly for key roles

mind you if Jeff himself was involved in choosing the successor…watch out

Jesus Christ - this is why the pro-Kennett people think people on this board are for ousting Jeff because of personal hatred, and not because of his performance.

You can call the man many things, but he's still sharp as a tack and actively engaged in the world around him. That's half the problem. He's too engaged in things that are a poor look for the Hawks.

After your comment I wasn’t sure if my description had been accurate. So when I went shopping this afternoon I carried out a survey of people at random, including the checkout girl.

Jeff Kennett has been described as sharp as a tack. What do you think of that?

“No, he’s really smart as a tack.”

“Sharp as a tack, how do I feel about that mmm. Well, he’s much the same as sitting on one”.

“Who the hell said that?”

“He’s an idiot.”

“Dumbass!” Not sure if this was directed at the question or me.

“If he is, it’s because one came out of his shoe when he had it in his mouth.”

“He’s a f’ing idiot.”

“F’ off, leave me alone.”

“Go away.”

“He’s a stupid idiot.”

“Who?” “The former State Premier and current President of Hawthorn.” ‘Oh that dude.’ Does he ever shut up. That’s $67.30 please”

“Well, yeah, as Hawthorn supporter I wish he would just go away.”

"He’s about as sharp as a bowling ball"

“Cool.” That was the only comment I could get out of Malcolm, the old and mostly bald hippy guy with the pony tail.

“He talks so much it’s a wonder he doesn’t get a sunburnt tongue.”

“Sharp as sack of jellyfish.”

“More like a poke in the eye with a pointy stick.”

“Whaaaat! You’re joking.”

“Stop annoying me!”

“No way.”

“Yeah, isn’t he lovely, all wrinkly and stuff, a real Shar Pei.”

Still it wasn’t all negative, there were 16 other people who identified themselves as supporters of opposition clubs, who thought he was doing a wonderful job and should stay in office for life. Geelong supporters in particular were very enthusiastic in their support for Jeff remaining in office.

So it looks like you were right, not a single person used the word cretin.

Last edited:
After your comment I wasn’t sure if my description had been accurate. So when I went shopping this afternoon I carried out a survey of people at random, including the checkout girl.

Jeff Kennett has been described as sharp as a tack. What do you think of that?

“No, he’s really smart as a tack.”

“Smart as a tack, how do I feel about that mmm. Well, he’s much the same as sitting on one”.

“Who the hell said that?”

“He’s an idiot.”

“Dumbass!” Not sure if this was directed at the question or me.

“If he is, it’s because one came out of his shoe when he had it in his mouth.”

“He’s a f’ing idiot.”

“F’ off, leave me alone.”

“Go away.”

“He’s a stupid idiot.”

“Who?” “The former State Premier and current President of Hawthorn.” ‘Oh that dude.’ Does he ever shut up. That’s $67.30 please”

“Well, yeah, as Hawthorn supporter I wish he would just go away.”

"He’s about as sharp as a bowling ball"

“Cool.” That was the only comment I could get out of Malcolm, the old and mostly bald hippy guy with the pony tail.

“He talks so much it’s a wonder he doesn’t get a sunburnt tongue.”

“Sharp as sack of jellyfish.”

“More like a poke in the eye with a pointy stick.”

“Whaaaat! You’re joking.”

“Stop annoying me!”

“No way.”

“Yeah, isn’t he lovely, all wrinkly and stuff, a real Shar Pei.”

Still it wasn’t all negative, there were 16 other people who identified themselves as supporters of opposition clubs, who thought he was doing a wonderful job and should stay in office for life. Geelong supporters in particular were very enthusiastic in their support for Jeff remaining in office.

So it looks like you were right, not a single person used the word cretin.
cretin

I think we’re OK with Sammy, but we didn’t do diligence on selecting a new coach. I think public business succession plans are for risk mitigation and the candidate still has to go through a competitive selection process, particularly for key roles

mind you if Jeff himself was involved in choosing the successor…watch out

They were obviously completely sold on Sam Mitchell as the heir to Clarko. If everyone is unanimous I suppose why hold a formal process? (That's probably their thinking).

I'm looking in from the outside, like most supporters, and can't be more excited about what Sam can and will accomplish as our next coach. He ticks every box and more.

Need Lucinda NOLAN back on the board. Ex-DC of VicPol and Ex-CEO of CFA.
Spoke to her a couple of times and is a real leader. A shame she stepped off the board last year.

Someone needs to nominate against him as President - the fact that the Presidency is voted on by members as opposed to 'his' board would see him get the short shrift in no time. He is floundering, already trying to divide along party lines. Silly man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back