When will the Carlton FC Arrive? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets make it easy, remove the word contend

Carlton should make the finals before Collingwood does. 44% of AFL clubs make the finals in any given year. Making the finals is not necessarily arriving and therefore the bet is not sufficiently relevant to the thread title to be of great interest as a talking point on this thread.

No bet.

Next bet proposal campaigners. 😁

I think that’s fairly wishful thinking. If Carlton are to push top which was the context my original comment was in. Cripps would need to be firing on all cylinders. Also think he needs to be dominant to be effective as he’s poor defensively and doesn’t cover the ground well.

I know the context your comment was made, I don’t think it’s relevant.

The Bombers did ok without many topliners, getting peak performance out of a bunch of role players. That’s what we are aiming for, irrespective of how Cripps is travelling.

It’s a fair enough assessment of Cripps’ game, and my view is similar - if he isn’t dominating and with the mindset he’s dominating he’s nowhere near as effective.

I think that’s fairly wishful thinking. If Carlton are to push top which was the context my original comment was in. Cripps would need to be firing on all cylinders. Also think he needs to be dominant to be effective as he’s poor defensively and doesn’t cover the ground well.

Don't think one mid makes a massive difference, like Shiel for your mob this year. Our collective midfield is stronger this year with the inclusion of Cerra and Hewett, Cripps just needs to play the role that suits him again, extracting the footy. As for improving defensive mechanisms, I think the collective will improve with a more balanced gameplan

I don’t see the relevance of Essendon’s improvement from 13th to 8th has to do with Carlton needing Cripps to get back to top form if they are going to push for the top parts of the ladder?
the relevance is that your mob pushed from 13 into the 8 in one season with only so much as a new coach and predominately same substandard team. If Essendon was able to do that with a poor list, CFC should be fine.

I know the context your comment was made, I don’t think it’s relevant.

The Bombers did ok without many topliners, getting peak performance out of a bunch of role players. That’s what we are aiming for, irrespective of how Cripps is travelling.

It’s a fair enough assessment of Cripps’ game, and my view is similar - if he isn’t dominating and with the mindset he’s dominating he’s nowhere near as effective.

I think it’s relevant. If we were talking about Carlton pushing into the 6-8 range I wouldn’t be saying Cripps has to get back to his best form.

Don't think one mid makes a massive difference, like Shiel for your mob this year. Our collective midfield is stronger this year with the inclusion of Cerra and Hewett, Cripps just needs to play the role that suits him again, extracting the footy. As for improving defensive mechanisms, I think the collective will improve with a more balanced gameplan

I don’t think Essendon is a great example. We are/were a poor side last year. 8th with a handy draw and only 11 wins not really relevant at all to Carlton getting to top 4 level.

At the end of the day Carlton have been underwhelming/underachieving on field for too long. We deserve criticism from opposition supporters (and trolls) until we get our act together with on field and finals performances.

the relevance is that your mob pushed from 13 into the 8 in one season with only so much as a new coach and predominately same substandard team. If Essendon was able to do that with a poor list, CFC should be fine.

I can’t believe I’m getting so much push back suggesting that Carton’s captain needs to play great footy for them to challenge the top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Essendon is a great example. We are/were a poor side last year. 8th with a handy draw and only 11 wins not really relevant at all to Carlton getting to top 4 level.

Made no mention of the finishing position of either side, just commenting on improving our midfield unit and being less reliant on Cripps being a player that didn't suit his charateristics

I can’t believe I’m getting so much push back suggesting that Carton’s captain needs to play great footy for them to challenge the top 4.
He’s important, especially if he gets back to 2019-like form, or a variant thereof. However the team isn’t as reliant on him as once were.

"Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results."

My points we as passionate Blue Baggers can't really brag or start boasting until we actually PERFORM on field.

We cannot say we are better than say teams like (for example) St Kilda or Essendon until we start out performing them in this league.

My points we as passionate Blue Baggers can't really brag or start boasting until we actually PERFORM on field.

We cannot say we are better than say teams like (for example) St Kilda or Essendon until we start out performing them in this league.

Maybe not, but I don’t see why we can’t make projections. We clearly have a strong young list with plenty of elite talent to work with.

Our last 20 years has no bearing on our next 20.

If Cripps gets back to 100% I'll cry in happiness on our way to the top 4. That being said I'm preparing my tear glands for a 10th place finish and have a few buckets of leftover Gyprock to repair the holes in the walls of my living room that will follow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back