2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

C: Hollands / Anderson / Callaghan
R: Moyle / Davies / Rowell

There’s our future midfield right there, with superb tutors in Witts, Touk and Hugh teaching them the ropes until they’re all ready to take over.

Still not sold on Davies. Must take a leaf out of Touk's book and learn how to kick. He has all the tools otherwise. If he learns to kick well he can become an A Grader. Otherwise will spend his career on the edge of the 22.
This season we were able to get him development in the VFL then a little taste towards the end. He won't be a gun straight away but I was impressed with some things I saw him do. As he develops, he will improve his flaws!

Still not sold on Davies. Must take a leaf out of Touk's book and learn how to kick. He has all the tools otherwise. If he learns to kick well he can become an A Grader. Otherwise will spend his career on the edge of the 22.
Hughie isn't a great kick either, Davies floor should be about the same as Greenwoods, more agile in traffic than Hughie too.

This season we were able to get him development in the VFL then a little taste towards the end. He won't be a gun straight away but I was impressed with some things I saw him do. As he develops, he will improve his flaws!
This can't be underestimated. Davies is a part of our first class of draftees that we've been able to pump reserves games into against serious competition every week in the VFL. Keep an eye on Jeffrey and Hollands as well as they fall into the same category.

Hughie isn't a great kick either, Davies floor should be about the same as Greenwoods, more agile in traffic than Hughie too.
Davies' speed is very impressive for someone who stands 192cm. I also saw a few second and third efforts in his AFL debut. I was impressed.

Geez you're a tough taskmaster, Sunny......

the kid's 19yo had 1 pre-season and played 1 game and had 16 disposals in that game...

.Touk in his 1st game, had 73% TOG and had only 6 disposals.... and went at 33% efficiency............look how he's going now.....

I reckon Davies will kill it....all things being equal.

You think his kicking technique or composure is more suspect?

You think his kicking technique or composure is more suspect?
Looked like both tbqh. Even when he had some time and composure, always kicks the ball very high and doesn't find a target. Been the case for as long as I've watched him.

Not too uncommon though - has spent his entire career as an inside mid probably. Getting it on the outside and using it well will transform him.

the kid's 19yo had 1 pre-season and played 1 game and had 16 disposals in that game...

.Touk in his 1st game, had 73% TOG and had only 6 disposals.... and went at 33% efficiency............look how he's going now.....

Not writing him off, but has a long way to go is all.

His first AFL game was better than most VFL games I've seen him play. I'd be interested to see if he maintains that level.

He should just do everything Touk does to get his improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 3 and one of our 2022 second rounders?
I’m of the thinking just take the best available at pick 3, we have a poor track record when trying to be too smart, plus we have a very talented list as it is.

Another option is trade out pick 3 to get a couple of KPP, as an example 2 first rounders say 7 & 15 from the Tigers or if the Hawks can turn 21 and 24 into a pick in the teens so we get pick 5 and say 13 (GWS pick in exchange for Hawks picks) with a future 2nd going back to the Hawks

Thoughts?

I’m of the thinking just take the best available at pick 3, we have a poor track record when trying to be too smart, plus we have a very talented list as it is.

Another option is trade out pick 3 to get a couple of KPP, as an example 2 first rounders say 7 & 15 from the Tigers or if the Hawks can turn 21 and 24 into a pick in the teens so we get pick 5 and say 13 (GWS pick in exchange for Hawks picks) with a future 2nd going back to the Hawks

Thoughts?
First option, don't get too smart, just take who's there of Gibcus/Callaghan and move on.

Think that's what he meant though.

I think a lot of us thought of Touk off as a great tagger, tackler and ball winner but wrote him off as a bit of a butcher. A lot of posts between 2014 - 2018 were directed at how bad some of Touk's disposals were.

Fast forward a few more years and after evidently a lot corrective training and camps he's gone on to improve and I can't think of too many players in the team I'd want the ball in the hands of more than him. Lukosius, Powell and Bowes probably the only guys on par or better.

If we had 5 more guys with the drive and intent to improve that Miller has shown, we'd be a perpetual finals team.

Harsh in my opinion. I can't think of any of our players having a better debut recently. Rowell is probably on par. Anderson had half output, not mentioning Sharp, Flanders, Jeffrey, Rosas, King, Luko who were all underwhelming in their debuts.

I blame you for stress inflicted on me by re-watching Swans game today. That first quarter and early last quarter were hard to watch.

As for Davies, 65% game time, he touched a ball just once in first quarter. To finish with 16 disposals, 14 contested and 6 tackles was impressive debut. By the way, Anderson averaged this season 3 tackles per game and 22 disposals, 9 contested while playing mostly inside. Davies had a couple of nice contested marks. Yes, DE only 50%.

As for kicking, I did not see any loops in this game or in VFL. In Swans games, he had 5 kicks - one long attempt at goal, one long along the boundary and 2 long inside 50 without any actual target and I missed one kick. No doubt he needs to improve decision part but as far as kick I don't see any major issue. Fiorini would love to have Davies kick. Davies had one set shot which looked good, just short.

Davies looked good inside and appears to have good awareness and an extra time similar to Pendlebury. No doubt basketball background helps. To able to play inside in first year is a rare feat. Davies has also a good speed. My guess, he could be taking over Greenwood position in 1-2 years if he progresses.

Just a couple of general observations from Swans game if I can.

No pressure early, no ruck really killed us in most games and this one was no exception. I can't wait for some decent ruck in the middle. Swans scored 60 points from turnovers. Even Miller, Powell made some poor decisions leading to turnovers.

Collins was very poor on Buddy. A bit like a deer in headlights. I just hope he recovers from foot surgery and has a full preseason. We need him in top form. As a dream, healthy and in form Thompson would be handy on Buddy.

Farrar impressed me again. Not sure why he was dropped after very good start early in the season. Farrar breaks lines, makes good decisions, has a good kick and competes.

Ainsworth was good except his usual missed set shots. Not far from converting, just missing.

Sharp came in only late but made a couple of unbelievable kicks. He could turn out to be a special wing player.

Jeffrey looked cooked but got talent.

Yes, we need to re-sign Ben King!

And then there is Atkins. Yes, Atkins had 3-4 very poor attempts chasing or pretending to chase. Then on 5-6 occasions when he got a ball he made very good decisions and executed a couple of nice inside 50 kicks.

Last edited:
Took Touk (cue Thai Tuk Tuk jokes) years to get his kicking right. I think Davies will improve there. At least he can already get some distance on his kicks. In any case I see him more as the one dishing it out to outside runners.

Thoughts?

If what was reported is true that we want Pick 2, then we must have our eyes on one player in particular.
Trading back and getting two for one sounds tempting but I think we want Callaghan. I wouldn’t trade up for Gibcus. Callaghan I would. If GWS want to deal I think we are in the box seat given we’re just one pick behind them. If they want Gibcus at two then we don’t need to do anything, unless he’s really the one we want but I don’t think he’s the best available at that pick, Callaghan is. I still think our midfield lacks firepower compared to the top sides. With Mabior coming in it gives us the option of playing Daysie down back for a couple of years.
Whatever happens, I’m intrigued to see who we select.

With 6 list changes ( 4 retirements, 1 delisted, 1 trade) Add in Chol + 1 kid from the draft. 2 academy, that leaves 2 re-signings? Unless there will be others delisted.

Out of:

Matt Conroy, Patrick Murtagh, Hewago Paul Oea, Malcolm Rosas, Luke Towey, Jacob Townsend

Rosas is close to finalising a new deal for the next two seasons after knocking back the Bombers’ inquiries. The Suns will secure Tiger Mabior Chol on a four-year free agency deal, while category B rookie Oea and Queensland rookie products Conroy and Murtagh are expected to continue. Irishman Towey will have to wait to find out his fate, and whether Gold Coast gives four-club player Townsend another year remains to be seen.

Cat B doesn't count toward the other rookie list.

With 6 list changes ( 4 retirements, 1 delisted, 1 trade) Add in Chol + 1 kid from the draft. 2 academy, that leaves 2 re-signings? Unless there will be others delisted.

Out of:

Matt Conroy, Patrick Murtagh, Hewago Paul Oea, Malcolm Rosas, Luke Towey, Jacob Townsend

Rosas is close to finalising a new deal for the next two seasons after knocking back the Bombers’ inquiries. The Suns will secure Tiger Mabior Chol on a four-year free agency deal, while category B rookie Oea and Queensland rookie products Conroy and Murtagh are expected to continue. Irishman Towey will have to wait to find out his fate, and whether Gold Coast gives four-club player Townsend another year remains to be seen.

Cat B doesn't count toward the other rookie list.
So we're keeping Conroy and Murtagh? I'm a little surprised but the club must see potential in them.

I wonder if that will prevent us from recruiting Casboult?

So we're keeping Conroy and Murtagh? I'm a little surprised but the club must see potential in them.

I wonder if that will prevent us from recruiting Casboult?
Even if we keep all current rookies (Townsend, Nicholls, Murtagh, Conroy, Moyle, Oea, Towey) and we only draft pick 3 and bring in only 2 academy kids we still have one rookie spot available.

Last edited:
Even if we keep all current rookies (Townsend, Nicholls, Murtagh, Conroy, Moyle, Oea, Towey) and we only draft pick 3 and bring in only 2 academy kids we still have one rookie spot available.

Other than Moyle that’s as unmagical bag of magic beans as I’ve ever seen
No giant beanstalks or golden geese growing from that lot

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back