List Mgmt. Future Trade Targets - finding our next Yeo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering Brisbane has turned Starcevich into a random lockdown HBF instead of a midfielder... why would we bother?

The graveyard of midfield development this club (Yeo excluded)

Yeo was a flanker when we traded for him. Depending on price, Starcevich into the side as a HBF is still a very good get IMO.

But agree we are rubbish at turning flankers into mids generally.

If one third of an average premiership team these days is traded in, doesn't that just reinforce the idea that trading is a legitimate avenue to building a premiership side?

I do agree with the premise that we need to hit the draft hard to acquire that top end talent - I don't support us taking the Geelong route and trading in at the expense of the draft, but realistically trading in players is going to be a reasonable chunk of our next list build.

Happy to take a little from column A and a little from column B. Personally I believe you put the core group together through the draft, establish a foundation of talent, then use trading and free agency to plug list holes and improve your best 22.

Happy to take a little from column A and a little from column B. Personally I believe you put the core group together through the draft, establish a foundation of talent, then use trading and free agency to plug list holes and improve your best 22.

I like the approach after 2015. Identified a couple of weaknesses, and traded for Redden and Jetta. An astute bit of work.

Definitely have to look at things holistically. Can definitely criticise an inability to draft mids, but at the same time have to acknowledge the work in getting Yeo, Redden, Vardy and Hutchings into the guts for not much at all.

All played vital roles in 2018.

If one third of an average premiership team these days is traded in, doesn't that just reinforce the idea that trading is a legitimate avenue to building a premiership side?

I do agree with the premise that we need to hit the draft hard to acquire that top end talent - I don't support us taking the Geelong route and trading in at the expense of the draft, but realistically trading in players is going to be a reasonable chunk of our next list build.
We’ve already traded in a fair amount of players since our last flag…I’d have thought we could spend a year or two focusing on the draft only. I’m not completely averse to trading but agree with the previous point about it sounding Freo-esque.

My general standpoint is that, after being traded, established players regress more often than they improve and they also tend to cost a lot. Successful examples of players we’ve traded in tend to be those who were very young. I’m not against prising out some homesick youngsters.

Players traded in since our flag:
Hickey
Smith*
Kelly
Jones*
Langdon
Witherden
Petrevski-Seton

* delisted free agents?

I like the approach after 2015. Identified a couple of weaknesses, and traded for Redden and Jetta. An astute bit of work.

Definitely have to look at things holistically. Can definitely criticise an inability to draft mids, but at the same time have to acknowledge the work in getting Yeo, Redden, Vardy and Hutchings into the guts for not much at all.

Hutchings wasn’t traded in, he was delisted by St K and then taken from the WAFL a year later in the national draft

Also Redden cost a first round pick and whilst he definitely contributed to our flag, he’s been pretty meh since he came across and arguably regressed compared to his first few years at Brisbane

I think we'll find out a lot about our list once Nic is finished up. Until then I don't want to see us top up too heavily. SPS for chips is the sort of trading I'm happy to see as we don't give up prime draft collateral, and importantly if he reaches his potential he will be more than a role player.

I think we'll find out a lot about our list once Nic is finished up. Until then I don't want to see us top up too heavily. SPS for chips is the sort of trading I'm happy to see as we don't give up prime draft collateral, and importantly if he reaches his potential he will be more than a role player.

Agreed.

Hutchings wasn’t traded in, he was delisted by St K and then taken from the WAFL a year later in the national draft

Also Redden cost a first round pick and whilst he definitely contributed to our flag, he’s been pretty meh since he came across and arguably regressed compared to his first few years at Brisbane

Was actually surprised to see Redden has still played the majority of his career at Brisbane. 7 years and 129 games vs 6 years and 113 games.

We’ve already traded in a fair amount of players since our last flag…I’d have thought we could spend a year or two focusing on the draft only. I’m not completely averse to trading but agree with the previous point about it sounding Freo-esque.

My general standpoint is that, after being traded, established players regress more often than they improve and they also tend to cost a lot. Successful examples of players we’ve traded in tend to be those who were very young. I’m not against prising out some homesick youngsters.

Players traded in since our flag:
Hickey
Smith*
Kelly
Jones*
Langdon
Witherden
Petrevski-Seton

* delisted free agents?

I think we’re on the same page in terms of strategy. My post was more thinking over the next 3-4 seasons. Fully agree we need to be smashing the draft this year and next before re assessing where things are at. That being said, if a quality young player unexpectedly becomes available I would hope we keep our ears to the ground.

Edit: is ears to the ground a thing? It felt right but after posting I’m doubting myself

Did the same in the mid 2000s high lead to 2006 flag. Club often talks about the chick and Stenglein trades being key.

I think we’re on the same page in terms of strategy. My post was more thinking over the next 3-4 seasons. Fully agree we need to be smashing the draft this year and next before re assessing where things are at. That being said, if a quality young player unexpectedly becomes available I would hope we keep our ears to the ground.

Edit: is ears to the ground a thing? It felt right but after posting I’m doubting myself
ears2groundorgtfo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wil Powell is an absolute gun. Runner up in the B&F at Gold Coast (though admittedly not in a super strong field). Plays similarly to Brad Sheppard and has a very high ceiling; his game against Carlton was one of the better games from a defender i've seen in a while. Would just about be one of my top players I would want to bring in, and fills a need with Shep heading towards the twilight of his career.

Wil Powell is an absolute gun. Runner up in the B&F at Gold Coast (though admittedly not in a super strong field). Plays similarly to Brad Sheppard and has a very high ceiling; his game against Carlton was one of the better games from a defender i've seen in a while. Would just about be one of my top players I would want to bring in, and fills a need with Shep heading towards the twilight of his career.
Once Hurn and SHep move on we are really gone miss their defensive abilities. Think Duggan's offensive side might be sacrificed a bit with Witho and Rotham in the side. Rate Foley as an all round defender too

I hope we start to use free agency more. A lot of the media focus is on the stars, but there are always role players qualifying also.

We've done OK out of DFA's too, and the strategy of looking at guys who are recently delisted in the 20-22 age bracket is a good one also.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wouldn't be surprised if Logan McDonald asks for a trade back to us early on in his career.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Speaking to a few mates here who are Swans fans, they are a little concerned over Logan wanting to go home. Would be ideal JK replacement to play alongside Oscar for the next decade.

Expect Freo to make a massive play as well given their needs.

Agree with both, especially starcevich

was a big bodied mid with a nice penetrating kick at his U18 champs but Brisbane have just turned him into a dour lockdown defender. not sure if they intend to keep him their or release him into the middle eventually but he will be expensive.

Yeo also played a defender role with brisbane before we traded for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back