Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

This really is a paradox.
Both the Crows and the Swans were using the PSD as a bargaining chip.
So both would have been happy and also unhappy for him to go there? :shrug:

If you look at this as a game of prisoner's dilemma - the Swans could were forced to take Melbourne's future first for Dawson or nothing.
The Crows paid Melbourne's next year first rounder for him but could have gotten him for free.

With the trading/drafting system currently in place in the AFL, once Dawson decided he wanted to leave Sydney, he and in turn his club of choice, had all the leverage and the Swans had none.

Given all this, the Swans should be happy with the first rounder.

And if there is any injustice here, karma will level things up with the last say.

Hardly. I would take Sydney's list over Adelaides every of the week, and I think most neutral bigfooty fans would agree with me. We have nothing to be jealous about when comparing lists.
You’re right but Melbourne were 17th 2 years ago.
Cycles, it’s all about cycles.

It's slimy because you have Ricciuto screaming one thing in the media and Reid peddling the complete opposite. If they were in unison I could appreciate it one way or the other but the inconsistency of it all is what's vexing. Reid was even interviewed earlier this evening stating that the PSD was never an option.

But hey, I guess this is the real pride of South Australia on display...

Ricciuto talking trash in the media is either irrelevant or tactically brilliant. Either way, it's up to your crew to not fall for it. JD was on radio this arvo saying how nervous he was not knowing, you should have had a crack at leveraging that.

Its an interesting list management question for them. Say Buddy for the purpose of this discussion has a relatively injury free 2022 and kicks between 40-50 goals and is then off contract. Assuming the swans have not won the flag, he might decide to go again and could you see him playing for $300K..I couldn't. But if Sydney are right in their premiership window, why wouldn't you want a buddy Franklin leading the line for you especially if he comes off a good 2022. Decisions

Like Tex, no other club would be taking on a 32+ lead up forward and the hassle if it goes pear shaped, so $300k would be about the max. Just need to stand ground and let player know they're a free agent and can go anywhere they want. Like we did with Lynch and Talia. Buddy would play again for $300k or so at the Swans if his body is up for it. No other club will pay more for a single year.

Like Tex, no other club would be taking on a 32+ lead up forward and the hassle if it goes pear shaped, so $300k would be about the max. Just need to stand ground and let player know they're a free agent and can go anywhere they want. Like we did with Lynch and Talia. Buddy would play again for $300k or so at the Swans if his body is up for it. No other club will pay more for a single year.

Geelong: Hold my drink

I don’t know about you but if I was a team in the window and Buddy was feeling good and coming off a 50 goal season I’d jump at the chance to sign him for a year.

This is in response to that tweet, not you, as I think most of your assessments have been pretty fair.

But there's nothing more laughably pathetic than holding some grudge over being offered pick 23 + a forward that went on to play 4 less games for the rest of his career for someone that your club cheated to try to keep. It's an astonishingly dumb comparison to make, and Crows fans should hold their club to a higher standard than that.
You obviously have no idea what happened with Adelaide and Sydney. Sydney said pick 23 and White and would not budge. Adelaide said to Sydney that they would take pick 23 without White, but Sydney refused that trade as they needed to lose White to lower their cap spend to fit in Tippet. So not only did Sydney offer a s**t pick but they also demanded Adelaide take a dud player off their hands who was being over paid by them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You obviously have no idea what happened with Adelaide and Sydney. Sydney said pick 23 and White and would not budge. Adelaide said to Sydney that they would take pick 23 without White, but Sydney refused that trade as they needed to lose White to lower their cap spend to fit in Tippet. So not only did Sydney offer a sh*t pick but they also demanded Adelaide take a dud player off their hands who was being over paid by them.
That's just not true. Crows were likely to accept the trade for pick 23 and White, but the AFL intervened.

FYI, that 'dud' player went on to play 4 less career games than Tippett from that point forward.

That's just not true. Crows were likely to accept the trade for pick 23 and White, but the AFL intervened.

FYI, that 'dud' player went on to play 4 less career games than Tippett from that point forward.

Not likely, did, and that's what tipped off the AFL something was amiss.

Purple with a rare moment of clarity....

IF ...
I understood the frustrations of Swans football boss Charlie Gardiner, and also had no problems with him airing those issues publicly, over not getting what he wanted for the loss of Jordan Dawson to Adelaide...

THEN ...
part of me also wished he hardened up and moved on. Not every player exit can result in a "fair" outcome. Thinking that it can is a major flaw in the thinking of seemingly everyone in the AFL club system. Sometimes the dealer gives you an unwinnable hand. That's real life.

The deal wasn't just fair it was incredibly generous given the circumstances.

We could have got him for free but decided to treat Sydney well out of a sense of decency.

Meanwhile Sydney officials and fans alike have acted like spoiled children.

Hopefully next time we deal with them we remember how ungreatful Sydney were and decide to sink the boot in.

The deal wasn't just fair it was incredibly generous given the circumstances.

We could have got him for free but decided to treat Sydney well out of a sense of decency.

Meanwhile Sydney officials and fans alike have acted like spoiled children.

Hopefully next time we deal with them we remember how ungreatful Sydney were and decide to sink the boot in.

The attitude of some Sydney fans in this thread is pretty disgusting, some of the comments have been bloody ordinary

Purple with a rare moment of clarity....

IF ...
I understood the frustrations of Swans football boss Charlie Gardiner, and also had no problems with him airing those issues publicly, over not getting what he wanted for the loss of Jordan Dawson to Adelaide...

THEN ...
part of me also wished he hardened up and moved on. Not every player exit can result in a "fair" outcome. Thinking that it can is a major flaw in the thinking of seemingly everyone in the AFL club system. Sometimes the dealer gives you an unwinnable hand. That's real life.
Although I agree Adelaide under the current rules had no reason to offer anything more than what they did, I think Gardiner's criticisms are entirely reasonable. The pre-season draft doesn't exist to give lower teams an advantage in trade negotiations, but it has been used like that for a few seasons now, and I think it's completely fair to ask the question of whether something should be done to fix that.

Your post was appalling, you added no value to the discussion at all, and to accuse others of the same thing is just being a hypocrite
There's been s**t comments from supporters of both teams. Coming in here to pander to one club and take potshots at the other also adds nothing to the conversation, but that isn't stopping you.

There's been sh*t comments from supporters of both teams. Coming in here to pander to one club and take potshots at the other also adds nothing to the conversation, but that isn't stopping you.

The worst posts I saw was from a Sydney fan, and it wasn't even close, i suggest instead at getting angry at me you tell your fellow supporter to pull his head it

Thats more a reflection of Tippets failings than Whites successes. Tippet was a disaster for the contract he was on.

The worst posts I saw was from a Sydney fan, and it wasn't even close, i suggest instead at getting angry at me you tell your fellow supporter to pull his head it
I prefer to just ignore shitty comments, or address them individually, rather than trying to use them to grandstand and score points against an entire supporter base, but whatever.
Thats more a reflection of Tippets failings than Whites successes. Tippet was a disaster for the contract he was on.
Yeah, exactly. Didn't stop it from being a focal talking point in this thread.

Back