The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Thought this might be a good place to post design ideas for the new Dolphins expansion team!

Some ideas I have found on the web. Feel free to add to the collection!
1634093311896.png

1634093541927.png

1634093551211.png

1634093561518.png

1634093580444.png

1634093595583.png

1634093608024.png

1634093922160.png

1634093933001.png

1634093939866.png

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
River City is definitely a good brand i think, love the black with red V and the Brissie river. In fact all of the Aaron Eastgate and Lab designs get a tick from me.

Also random thing I discovered, a firehawk is a real thing! It's a bird of prey that spread bushfires to corner prey. Makes the bid name pretty neat, even if it's now lost.

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2018/01/this-is-why-aussie-firehawk-raptors-are-spreading-bushfires/#:~:text=FOR%20THOUSANDS%20of%20years%20Australia's,as%20propagators%E2%80%9D%20of%20wild%20fire.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
With the announcement of the new NRL team being the Dolphins I decided to put up my idea for the club's jersey design and club name and logo.

My design uses the current Redcliffe's jersey as the base for the new clubs home jersey. You can't use the reverse of the current jersey as the clash jersey as it is similar to the St George Illawarra Dragons jersey. So I have used black with their jersey to create a difference.
When Gold Coast was becoming a NRL side Redcliffe's copyrighted the Dolphins name so they could not use it. The new team will be the Dolphins, but will not be the Redcliffe Dolphins, wanting to label the club as being more for an area of Brisbane than being a suburb of Brisbane. The Redcliffe Dolphins will still play in the Queensland League. The name I would go for is Moreton Bay, the name of the area which Redcliffe is in.

So here is the Moreton Bay Dolphins.
ARYbSfR.jpg

Last edited:

4eva Youngy

Retro Footy Logo Guru
May 26, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
With the announcement of the new NRL team being the Dolphins I decided to put up my idea for the club's jersey design and club name and logo.

My design uses the current Redcliffe's jersey as the base for the new clubs home jersey. You can't use the reverse of the current jersey as the clash jersey as it is similar to the St George Illawarra Dragons jersey. So I have used black with their jersey to create a difference.
When Gold Coast was becoming a NRL side Redcliffe's copyrighted the Dolphins name so they could not use it. The new team will be the Dolphins, but will not be the Redcliffe Dolphins, wanting to label the club as being more for an area of Brisbane than being a suburb of Brisbane. The Redcliffe Dolphins will still play in the Queensland League. The name I would go for is Moreton Bay, the name of the area which Redcliffe is in.

So here is the Moreton Bay Dolphins.
bGlICJs.jpg
I so hate ankle socks!.........last time I was in a sports store (last week), they were still long socks, not tennis socks. Players today just choose to wear them down. Sekem brochures don't feature these girls' socks. C'mon Wiz, Lift your game. Give that guy on the right a racquet, and you wouldn't know he's a rugby player!

Now this guy is onto it!!!
1634211158989.png

Mozzie_Squad

All Australian
Dec 13, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melb City, Storm, Stars
Think this was mentioned in the rugby thread but looks like it's confirmed they'll just be the 'Dolphins' (though the Redcliffe Dolphins will still play in the Q-Cup) - seems they don't want to limit themselves to just Brisbane and also appeal to Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast.

The Dolphins have just one name.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Just call yourself North Brisbane Dolphins. Seems like an easy fix to me.

North Brisbane does not take in all areas that the team wants to associate itself with. Moreton Bay and the Sunshine Coast don't like being associated with being Brisbane, and are not really geographically part of the Brisbane area. Also the Broncos are also actually based in North Brisbane as their headquarters are at Red Hill which is north of the river.

They either just needed to remain as being Redcliffe and accept that some people may not like it, but the majority wouldn't care, or will have to go with a very generic name, or remain without one, to cover all the regions that they want to represent (which is just plain stupid as it doesn't help them show their true location).

Not a rugby fan at all, so don't know the ins and outs but this seems like it is going to be a "Port Power" scenario. They pick a generic name for a few years before realising that doesn't actually bring in any more fans and then will go back to being Redcliffe.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Not a rugby fan at all, so don't know the ins and outs but this seems like it is going to be a "Port Power" scenario. They pick a generic name for a few years before realising that doesn't actually bring in any more fans and then will go back to being Redcliffe.

Quite possibly, or they dig their heels in with the no location name at all, then revert back to Redcliffe.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
North Brisbane does not take in all areas that the team wants to associate itself with. Moreton Bay and the Sunshine Coast don't like being associated with being Brisbane, and are not really geographically part of the Brisbane area. Also the Broncos are also actually based in North Brisbane as their headquarters are at Red Hill which is north of the river.

They either just needed to remain as being Redcliffe and accept that some people may not like it, but the majority wouldn't care, or will have to go with a very generic name, or remain without one, to cover all the regions that they want to represent (which is just plain stupid as it doesn't help them show their true location).
Yeah it's a funny predicament. Although Red Hill is theoretically north, it is more west of the cbd than anything as it is next to Paddington and Milton where Suncorp Stadium is. Milton/Auchenflower/Toowong are considered western suburbs too, so north doesn't really fit at all. Funnily enough the Bombers were going to be based around the airport which is north-east, so even more north.
I think the safest best is going to be something like River City, because if they call themselves Moreton or something similar, they may alienate the existing fans of the Dolphins that do live in north Brissie or on the outskirts (i.e. Carseldine, Aspley, Zillmere, etc).

Actually thinking about it, the Northern Eagles did exist albeit briefly. Northern Dolphins anyone?

Last edited:
May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looks great, gives me Bradford Bulls vibes.

Other than looking at the concepts that were posted in the OP I had no background story for the Redcliffe Dolphins until I got the pic for the background in the presentation. Like fancy, I dont know anything about the politics of the NRL but maybe The Dolphins will add 2 colours (charcoal/black and gold) to the existing red and white to be different to St George Illawarra and then in 25 years the fans will petition to get back the PBs red and white chevron.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Yeah it's a funny predicament. Although Red Hill is theoretically north, it is more west of the cbd than anything as it is next to Paddington and Milton where Suncorp Stadium is. Milton/Auchenflower/Toowong are considered western suburbs too, so north doesn't really fit at all. Funnily enough the Bombers were going to be based around the airport which is north-east, so even more north.
I think the safest best is going to be something like River City, because if they call themselves Moreton or something similar, they may alienate the existing fans of the Dolphins that do live in north Brissie or on the outskirts (i.e. Carseldine, Aspley, Zillmere, etc).

Actually thinking about it, the Northern Eagles did exist albeit briefly. Northern Dolphins anyone?

Please don't bring up the Northern Eagles. What an absolute disaster that was, and it killed off a once great foundation club in the process.

I doubt they would go with something with Northern in it as it could be confused with North Queensland (by people who have little knowledge of Queensland geography).

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Please don't bring up the Northern Eagles. What an absolute disaster that was, and it killed off a once great foundation club in the process.

I doubt they would go with something with Northern in it as it could be confused with North Queensland (by people who have little knowledge of Queensland geography).
I mean they could be the South Queensland Dolphins, or just ditch the brand and go with Crushers :D

Mozzie_Squad

All Australian
Dec 13, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melb City, Storm, Stars
Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
I mean they could be the South Queensland Dolphins, or just ditch the brand and go with Crushers :D

So long as they revive the old kits and colours I would be for this!!!

'The Area-Between-Brissy-And-Mackay Dolphins' :tearsofjoy:

Better than The Dolphins.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
You've also got to remember that there are Norths, Wests, Easts and Souths clubs in the Brisbane area, as well as clubs on the Sunshine Coast (who are aligned with the Storm). They can't "default" to something like that. I feel like they're trying to avoid a GWS scenario and also trying to avoid representing one suburb. It's tough for them since if they're Redcliffe, fans of the other ISC teams will probably not support them, but they can't be Brisbane, so they had to come up with something that wouldn't turn people against them but also not isolate themselves into a smaller area.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Yep, something like that. In our case, there were people seriously advocating for rebranding Port to “Southern Power”.

I don’t think people have trouble following Chelsea, Tottenham, Boca Juniors, etc., despite their names. Why would Redcliffe alienate fans is beyond me.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Yep, something like that. In our case, there were people seriously advocating for rebranding Port to “Southern Power”.

I don’t think people have trouble following Chelsea, Tottenham, Boca Juniors, etc., despite their names. Why would Redcliffe alienate fans is beyond me.
A few reasons really, but the main is that they still want fans from Brisbane, and Redcliffe is not actually in Brisbane at all. This is why I liked the Firehawks concept, because if they wanted South Brisbane they could have done that easily, considering they were originally the Tigers, had a full setup on the southside. Even the Jets could have been Ipswich Jets and had a whole town already get behind them. Redcliffe is a tiny suburb (population-wise) in Moreton Bay Shire nestled amongst other suburbs that are filled with retirees and holidayers (mostly). They will need to figure out a good name pretty quick.

Back