Alistair Clarkson to help with Tassie bid

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wonder if the Hawks are getting let off their footy department cap bill by the AFL here. Sure sounds that way. Also occupies Clarko so they can pretend he isn't just on holidays before the Gold Coast gig opens up. Makes the Tassie Government feel good about their team coming in whilst Hawthorn and North keep their existing deals running, everyone goes home happy.

The Stadium is an outrageous idea. Such a waste of money. The AFL love their inner city stadiums that are apparently tourism meccas and icons. But Hobart has a new and functional stadium a 10 minute drive from the Hobart CBD. Let's not presume Hobart is a city either, it's a country town. No one is going to Hobart in footy season expecting some incredible metropolitan experienced in the city. Go the footy, maybe find a pub for another beer or two afterwards then enjoy the fresh country air before exploring what Tassie has to offer the next morning.

US Sports have some great analytics, coaching and player wellness gear. Some of the technology is really amazing. Good on Clarko for getting to experience that. But there's no way he's waiting around for years to implement any of it in Tassie.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wonder if the Hawks are getting let off their footy department cap bill by the AFL here. Sure sounds that way. Also occupies Clarko so they can pretend he isn't just on holidays before the Gold Coast gig opens up. Makes the Tassie Government feel good about their team coming in whilst Hawthorn and North keep their existing deals running, everyone goes home happy.

The Stadium is an outrageous idea. Such a waste of money. The AFL love their inner city stadiums that are apparently tourism meccas and icons. But Hobart has a new and functional stadium a 10 minute drive from the Hobart CBD. Let's not presume Hobart is a city either, it's a country town. No one is going to Hobart in footy season expecting some incredible metropolitan experienced in the city. Go the footy, maybe find a pub for another beer or two afterwards then enjoy the fresh country air before exploring what Tassie has to offer the next morning.

US Sports have some great analytics, coaching and player wellness gear. Some of the technology is really amazing. Good on Clarko for getting to experience that. But there's no way he's waiting around for years to implement any of it in Tassie.
Hard to know where to start, but I will say that that was a whole lot of drivel.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Clarko rebuilt the club and the team at the hawks, or was central to building a team which did.

Tassie can only succeed I reckon. A great boost right now at any rate

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Does anyone actually think a tassie team is a good idea?

The comp hasn't fully recovered from GCS and GWS being added. Talent is spread thin. Adding more teams drops the quality further.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The comp hasn't fully recovered from GCS and GWS being added. Talent is spread thin. Adding more teams drops the quality further.
It wouldn't be until 2026 at the earliest with a possibility it may not be until 2030 and the Carter report has said the talent will not be a problem.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It wouldn't be until 2026 at the earliest with a possibility it may not be until 2030 and the Carter report has said the talent will not be a problem.

I dont know how they come up with that in a report, but I don't think there's 22 players out there not currently on a list that wouldn't get pumped by North Melbourne by 60+...

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

either gws or gc were the bad idea. It should have been one of them and tassie

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I dont know how they come up with that in a report, but I don't think there's 22 players out there not currently on a list that wouldn't get pumped by North Melbourne by 60+...

in actual fact the increase has clearly been taken up by players playing longer. THe total draft numbers now are similar to before the expansion.

only the expansion drafts themselves were larger

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Gee this is a mindless post. Has there ever been a time in football history where a team of blokes not in the top flight wouldn’t get smashed by a top flight team?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

so how would they go against the eventual premiers?

3 crows had VFL experience

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With a couple of years of fully professional setup and training, they might get pumped in the first couple of years but become competitive. GWS did, GC have had other issues. The natural skill gap between the best mid-career players in the main state leagues and the fringe players on AFL lists is not that great.

Yes, there would be an overall drop on average, but in the AFL does that really matter much? Its not like a sport where people are being prepared for a higher level. Essentially no matter how many teams there are, the AFL will be the highest level of Australian Football. And the drop in overall talent is not really that big. The main thing may be that the stars get spread a little thinner across more clubs. The second tier and depth players, barely any difference would be seen.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Which sports and what concerts though?

To move the occasional cricket test (almost certainly outside of school and public holidays), ODI, t20 and a few big bash games from Bellerive and it's 20k capacity a short swim across the Harbour seems like an epic waste of money.

Not sure even with a bigger stadium Hobart is getting all the big musical artists either. They often have such limited dates in Australia as is.

Then there's the biggest issue of the lot - the Tasmanian team surely splits games between Hobart and Launceston. I assume the split will be somewhere between 6-5 and 8-3?

A new stadium for 6-8 AFL games a year and a few extra people at the cricket seems an absolutely horrendous waste of public funds.
Geelong has been gifted a 40k stadium for nine games and one BBL. Hobart might get seven games and four BBL so more use.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stampedo..the lake is fulll…apple trees apple frost…may it not be a frosty welcome for Clarko
Jeffery Kennett is your nemesis…no bad thing..rock on little fella

Back