Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only bright side out of this deal for the Swans is just further re-enforcing the need for academies in non-traditional states.

Finlayson, M.Kennedy, Setterfield and Zac Williams were all GWS academy players who requested trades interstate. The academy system isn’t a solution to player retention issues.

just after 1.00 minute in. 'There is the preseason draft but it was never really discussed' - Tom Harley

Even if it wasn't discussed, Adelaide still indicated it was a path they were willing to go down (Ricciuto said as much), so it still gave you guys leverage, even if just implicitly.

For the record, I'm not even saying clubs shouldn't be allowed to use the PSD in this way. It's not against the rules, so fair enough if teams want to exploit that. I also don't think Pridham stating something that is 100% fact is worth getting upset over though, as some people clearly are.

This has nothing to do with the academy, and whatever your opinions on the academies are, it has nothing to do with tue fact that what Sydney are saying is entirely true. Compare the number of first round academy picks on Sydney and GWS' lists and it still won't make up the difference of the number of quality players that have requested a trade to South Australia or Victoria as compared to New South Wales since it was introduced.

Adelaide used the PSD in a way it was never intended to be used. They have done it two seasons in a row. GWS were just as annoyed last season. I don't know why you guys are so defensive about this. You're absolutely entitled to use the PSD as leverage because there's no rules against it, but the PSD was not introduced to assist teams in poaching stars from other clubs. The point Pridham is making is fundamentally true.
Adelaide have lost more uncontracted quality players over the years than we have gained... yet has been the reverse for Sydney.

Would argue we need an academy more than Sydney...

You are acting like this is the 1st time a team has lost an uncontracted player for unders because of the PSD. Perhaps for Sydney, but this has happened pretty much every trade period.

Amacca 23

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys,chicago bulls
This has nothing to do with the academy, and whatever your opinions on the academies are, it has nothing to do with tue fact that what Sydney are saying is entirely true. Compare the number of first round academy picks on Sydney and GWS' lists and it still won't make up the difference of the number of quality players that have requested a trade to South Australia or Victoria as compared to New South Wales since it was introduced.

Adelaide used the PSD in a way it was never intended to be used. They have done it two seasons in a row. GWS were just as annoyed last season. I don't know why you guys are so defensive about this. You're absolutely entitled to use the PSD as leverage because there's no rules against it, but the PSD was not introduced to assist teams in poaching stars from other clubs. The point Pridham is making is fundamentally true.
You,ve lost 1 player and the psd WASN'T used and yet its not fair hell we have lost countless that wanted to go home even tippet who wanted to go home yet landed in sydney and its not fundementally true you want fair get rid of your academy or make them have to bid like everyone else does

Adelaide have lost more uncontracted quality players over the years than we have gained... yet has been the reverse for Sydney.

Would argue we need an academy more than Sydney...

You are acting like this is the 1st time a team has lost an uncontracted player for unders because of the PSD. Perhaps for Sydney, but this has happened pretty much every trade period.
Since COLA was removed, we have had 2 players that were best 22 at their previous clubs request trades to us: Sinclair and Ladhams.

In Ladhams instance he wanted out of Port and we were the only viable suitor, and in Sinclair's case, he was pretty much pushed out the door for Jetta, because Lycett was set to replace him.

GWS have had Lobb and Hogan.

In that same period Dixon, Motlop, Gibbs, Aliir, Dawson, Fantasia, Lycett, Seedsman, Ryder, and Menzel have requested trades to South Australia.

Each team has different competitive advantages, it's a matter of how effectively they use them.
You,ve lost 1 player and the psd WASN'T used and yet its not fair hell we have lost countless that wanted to go home even tippet who wanted to go home yet landed in sydney and its not fundementally true you want fair get rid of your academy or make them have to bid like everyone else does
I didn't say it's fundamentally true we wanted 'fairness'. I'm talking specifically about what Pridham said about the PSD, which IS fundamentally true.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Even if it wasn't discussed, Adelaide still indicated it was a path they were willing to go down (Ricciuto said as much), so it still gave you guys leverage, even if just implicitly.

For the record, I'm not even saying clubs shouldn't be allowed to use the PSD in this way. It's not against the rules, so fair enough if teams want to exploit that. I also don't think Pridham stating something that is 100% fact is worth getting upset over though, as some people clearly are.
Here is Reid..just after 1.45 in. He confirms the PSD was never discussed. So Reid and Harley both came to the same position and as they were the negotiators and Harley and Sydney certainly had an axe to grind going by comments made during and after, surely at least Harley would have been open about it being used if it was?

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You were well within your rights to use the PSD as leverage. However, that's entirely beside the point.

The Swans are also well within their right to point out that the PSD was not designed to be used for this purpose. And they are right, it wasn't.
That is exactly what is for, if clubs can't agree then the PSD allows the player, Dawson in this case, to leave the club he doesn't want to be at. The crows didn't have pick one in the PSD, made multiple offers, and Sydney finally agreed to a pick that most believe will be between 15-18 next year.
The PSD was going to get Dawson out, likely to North or Adelaide. The AFL will not stop an out of contact player leaving a club. Dawson wanted out, simple as that. What is there to complain about?

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Amacca 23

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Since COLA was removed, we have had 2 players that were best 22 at their previous clubs request trades to us: Sinclair and Ladhams.

In Ladhams instance he wanted out of Port and we were the only viable suitor, and in Sinclair's case, he was pretty much pushed out the door for Jetta, because Lycett was set to replace him.

GWS have had Lobb and Hogan.

In that same period Dixon, Motlop, Gibbs, Aliir, Dawson, Fantasia, Lycett, Seedsman, Ryder, and Menzel have requested trades to South Australia.

Each team has different competitive advantages, it's a matter of how effectively they use them.

I didn't say it's fundamentally true we wanted 'fairness'. I'm talking specifically about what Pridham said about the PSD, which IS fundamentally true.
But he wants fair so remove academy ill bet he doesnt want that tho ???

Here is Reid..just after 1.45 in. He confirms the PSD was never discussed. So Reid and Harley both came to the same position and as they were the negotiators and Harley and Sydney certainly had an axe to grind going by comments made during and after, surely at least Harley would have been open about it being used if it was?

If anything it makes me think Sydney should have asked for more and waited till the death.

Maybe the PSD was never an option.

As someone on our board, surprised he wasn’t outraged last year when it actually happened.
Or does he only care when it happens to the swans, in the name of fairness and all that?
Do you think any club would give a s**t about a rule/system being exploited until it happened to them? It's a professional sporting competition. What do you expect?

It doesn't make the point any less valid.
That is exactly what is for, if clubs can't agree then the PSD allows the player, Dawson in this case, to leave the club he doesn't want to be at. The crows didn't have pick one in the PSD, made multiple offers, and Sydney finally agreed to a pick that most believe will be between 15-18 next year.
The PSD was going to get Dawson out, likely to North or Adelaide. The AFL will not stop an out of contact player leaving a club. Dawson wanted out, simple as that. What is there to complain about?

It was brought in to cover the league's ass when it comes to restraint of trade. Not to be used as a negotiation tactic. It's easy to see from it's purpose and utility why it would be exploited, but I think it's a reasonable question to ask about whether it's necessary anymore with free agency.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Do you think any club would give a sh*t about a rule/system being exploited until it happened to them? It's a professional sporting competition. What do you expect?

It was brought in to cover the league's ass when it comes to restraint of trade. Not to be used as a negotiation tactic. It's easy to see from it's purpose and utility why it would be exploited, but I think it's a reasonable question to ask about whether it's necessary anymore with free agency.
So what you’re saying is your club doesn’t care about it being unfair until it happens to them.
Why aren’t other clubs crying about it?
It’s happened to other clubs before.
And for some unknown reason you guys are complaining when you’ve actually done extremely well out of the situation.

Amacca 23

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Do you think any club would give a sh*t about a rule/system being exploited until it happened to them? It's a professional sporting competition. What do you expect?

Oh you mean the free agency where players would go to lower clubs, hows that working out ???? 95% go to the top clubs thats why the psd wont be abandoned

Amacca 23

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

And ill say it again youve lost one player not to the psd , get over it try the amount weve lost you just get on with it

So what you’re saying is your club doesn’t care about it being unfair until it happens to them.
Why aren’t other clubs crying about it?
It’s happened to other clubs before.
And for some unknown reason you guys are complaining when you’ve actually done extremely well out of the situation.
GWS weren't exactly happy about it last year, were they? Nor Gold Coast with respect to Jack Martin.

And ill say it again youve lost one player not to the psd , get over it try the amount weve lost you just get on with it
I am over it. I think the Ladhams deal makes up for it, personally.

I just don't think Pridham has said anything unreasonable.

I am over it. I think the Ladhams deal makes up for it, personally.

I just don't think Pridham has said anything unreasonable.
Definitely not.

I appreciated how you pointed how good Dawson was for Sydney as he should take his game to another level with the Crows, you will likely find Ladhams to be the opposite.

If anything this could be a good learning experience for Sydney, with players like Gulden, Heeney, McDonald,Florent and Gould all coming out of contract in 2022 that they must resign asap.

Some may have signed extensions, so apologies if their names are on this list.
Gould recently re-signed a one-year deal. Get the feeling if he doesn't crack the firsts next year, we won't exactly have much to worry about in terms of other clubs coming after him.

Heeney, Gulden and Florent won't go anywhere IMO.

McDonald we need to re-sign ASAP though.

Gould recently re-signed a one-year deal. Get the feeling if he doesn't crack the firsts next year, we won't exactly have much to worry about in terms of other clubs coming after him.

Heeney, Gulden and Florent won't go anywhere IMO.

McDonald we need to re-sign ASAP though.
There is always the GWS option though.

I can see both Eagles and Freo offering their 2022 1st for McDonald.

Definitely not.

I appreciated how you pointed how good Dawson was for Sydney as he should take his game to another level with the Crows, you will likely find Ladhams to be the opposite.
I don't really care, man. I'm not trying to one-up you, Dawson is an elite talent IMO. I just think we did as well as we could have done with the hand we were dealt.

The only reason I popped in here this evening is I don't think Pridham said anything particularly controversial.
I don’t think combined there was half the whining going on currently.
I suggest you check out the Martin thread if you think that.

McCartney came out and bemoaned the tactics used by the Crows too. Said they left it way too late to facilitate a deal. There's a pretty clear implication in that.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I suggest you check out the Martin thread if you think that.

McCartney came out and bemoaned the tactics used by the Crows too. Said they left it way too late to facilitate a deal. There's a pretty clear implication in that.
Big footy has zero impact.
None of those teams called for change.
No ones going to like it, but they got on with it.
You guys aced it by getting something decent.
Sydney are the last team that get to complain about things in the draft/trading space with the leg ups you’ve got and continue to get.
It’s insulting to the rest of the sides that don’t get the advantages you get.

Big footy has zero impact.
None of those teams called for change.
No ones going to like it, but they got on with it.
You guys aced it by getting something decent.
Sydney are the last team that get to complain about things in the draft/trading space with the leg ups you’ve got and continue to get.
It’s insulting to the rest of the sides that don’t get the advantages you get.
"Insulting" haha get a grip. If you combine the Sydney and GWS academy players that were bid on by other clubs it still doesn't make up the difference between how many beat 22 players have requested a trade to SA and NSW in that aame period.

Like I said, every team has their own competitive advantages.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

That's almost childish, as Kerry Packer said, if anybody in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their heads read.

Well that applies here, it's a negotiation, and the PSD is real, ie Dawson was leaving the Swans one way or another.

Back