List Mgmt. Future Trade Targets - finding our next Yeo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking to a few mates here who are Swans fans, they are a little concerned over Logan wanting to go home. Would be ideal JK replacement to play alongside Oscar for the next decade.

Expect Freo to make a massive play as well given their needs.
Would almost certainly blow my load in my pants if this was to happen

Speaking to a few mates here who are Swans fans, they are a little concerned over Logan wanting to go home. Would be ideal JK replacement to play alongside Oscar for the next decade.

Expect Freo to make a massive play as well given their needs.

Did read somewhere Swans were trying to extend his contract in off-season. Their progress towards agreement may be an early indication of McD’s intentions.

Considering Brisbane has turned Starcevich into a random lockdown HBF instead of a midfielder... why would we bother?

The graveyard of midfield development this club (Yeo excluded)

You mean Brisbane turned him into the only type of player he was ever capable of being?

If anything he’s exceeded expectations given he was allergic to the pill in Colts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As this trade period winds down, it's pretty evident we're happy to take SPS and our picks and head to the draft. Given the demographic of our list, how disappointing we were this season and what is presumably a tight salary cap, it makes sense that the right thing to do right now is take the best kids available to us in the draft.

It recently struck me how important seemingly low key trades for guys like Elliot Yeo, Jamie Cripps, Jack Redden (I suppose that was a late first rounder) were to building that premiership team. We've been relatively active in recent off-seasons trading in semi-developed talents in Witherden, Langdon and Sam Petrevski-Seton to plug a hole in our list in the 21-25 year old range, but none of them project as being top 10 on the list type players. If we want to continue this period of sustained success, we need to opportunistically look at plucking talent from other clubs - preferably before they hit their straps (ala Tim Kelly). I reckon you can bet your bottom dollar the club will adopt this strategy going forward, but it got me thinking, which players out there could be our next Elliot Yeo type trade?

I've had a crack at compiling a list of realistic targets that fit the bill of being from WA, may not cost the world to bring back (if we strike a trade at the right time of their careers) but could project to be top 10-15 players on our list for a sustained period of time.

Relatively gettable:

Brandan Starcevich (BRIS)
Devon Robertson (BRIS)
Zac Fisher (CARL)
Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
Jeremy Sharp (GCS)
Wil Powell (GCS)
Trent Rivers (MELB)
Tim English (WB)
Chad Warner (SYD)
Riley Garcia (WB)

Some more speculative talents:

Jack Carroll (CARL)
Shannon Neale (GEEL)
Tyler Brockman (HAW)

Probably too talented and therefore expensive:

Sam Taylor (GWS)
Luke Jackson (MELB)
Mitch Georgiades (PORT)
Shai Bolton (RICH)
Logan MacDonald (SYD)

That's my crack at compiling a bit of a snapshot of what's out there - it's not necessarily my own personal wishlist. Personally, the types I'd be most interested in are guys like Starcevich, Powell and SPP - although I do have a suspicion that our need to replace Naitanui before long means we will at least be asking the question of Tim English.

Are there any I've missed?

Magpies Trey Ruscoe 193 cm 92kg he could the one and possibly out of contract in 2022 ..

As this trade period winds down, it's pretty evident we're happy to take SPS and our picks and head to the draft. Given the demographic of our list, how disappointing we were this season and what is presumably a tight salary cap, it makes sense that the right thing to do right now is take the best kids available to us in the draft.

It recently struck me how important seemingly low key trades for guys like Elliot Yeo, Jamie Cripps, Jack Redden (I suppose that was a late first rounder) were to building that premiership team. We've been relatively active in recent off-seasons trading in semi-developed talents in Witherden, Langdon and Sam Petrevski-Seton to plug a hole in our list in the 21-25 year old range, but none of them project as being top 10 on the list type players. If we want to continue this period of sustained success, we need to opportunistically look at plucking talent from other clubs - preferably before they hit their straps (ala Tim Kelly). I reckon you can bet your bottom dollar the club will adopt this strategy going forward, but it got me thinking, which players out there could be our next Elliot Yeo type trade?

I've had a crack at compiling a list of realistic targets that fit the bill of being from WA, may not cost the world to bring back (if we strike a trade at the right time of their careers) but could project to be top 10-15 players on our list for a sustained period of time.

Relatively gettable:

Brandan Starcevich (BRIS)
Devon Robertson (BRIS)
Zac Fisher (CARL)
Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
Jeremy Sharp (GCS)
Wil Powell (GCS)
Trent Rivers (MELB)
Tim English (WB)
Chad Warner (SYD)
Riley Garcia (WB)

Some more speculative talents:

Jack Carroll (CARL)
Shannon Neale (GEEL)
Tyler Brockman (HAW)

Probably too talented and therefore expensive:

Sam Taylor (GWS)
Luke Jackson (MELB)
Mitch Georgiades (PORT)
Shai Bolton (RICH)
Logan MacDonald (SYD)

That's my crack at compiling a bit of a snapshot of what's out there - it's not necessarily my own personal wishlist. Personally, the types I'd be most interested in are guys like Starcevich, Powell and SPP - although I do have a suspicion that our need to replace Naitanui before long means we will at least be asking the question of Tim English.

Are there any I've missed?
Talking about Riley Garcia, I am still scratching my head as why we picked Ben Johnson instead of Garcia.

So did Tom Rockcliff or however you spell that dickheads name piss in Yeos beer? and thats why he came home?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So did Tom Rockcliff or however you spell that dickheads name piss in Yeos beer? and thats why he came home?

It wasn't Yeo, and he didn't piss in it, but to my understanding he did piss on cans that some youngsters were about to drink.

"Marking his territory" - some people are just tosspots and you can't do much about it.

Meanwhile the coach was sacked, the board went to war with itself and Rockliff was never brought into line.

The generation of lost talent trading out from the Lions is what followed.

Didn’t he follow the Purples, surprised he would nominated us.

He has surprised me as firstly in his draft year I didn’t rate him that highly as I thought he was not clean enough by hand and his skill set was ok but not great. Secondly I was also surprised when Brisbane drafted him so early, I thought that was a bit of a head scratcher.

Wind time forward - his selection where he was taken was an astute decision by Brisbane and he has really blossomed as a player.

He has a hard edge to his game that I like, very competitive young man.

Would like him at West Coast but can’t see it happening.

Would love him at WCE i remember me and you debating him i am a big fan.
He is also one of the quickest defenders in the league.

Tom Joyce is another from Brisbane I would love been injury prone but has great talent,
elite user of the footy

It wasn't Yeo, and he didn't piss in it, but to my understanding he did piss on cans that some youngsters were about to drink.

"Marking his territory" - some people are just tosspots and you can't do much about it.

Meanwhile the coach was sacked, the board went to war with itself and Rockliff was never brought into line.

The generation of lost talent trading out from the Lions is what followed.
Imagine being led by Rockliff and Zorko

Would love him at WCE i remember me and you debating him i am a big fan.
He is also one of the quickest defenders in the league.

Tom Joyce is another from Brisbane I would love been injury prone but has great talent,
elite user of the footy

I asked KM about his thoughts on Tom Joyce and this is what he replied with.

Joyce is one I'd sign to my state league team, but not someone I have that vision where I can see that clear path to a best-22 spot.

Why? Defensively he hasn't been all that impressive in the VFL games I've seen. Pressure and tackling on the weak side.

Can't say I've seen him myself but the Lack of pressure and tackling isn't what we need.

Easy. Deven Robertson @ Brisbane
Has played 17 games in 2 years as he is good enough to make a strong Lions side but squandered playing across half fwd rather than an on ball role which is his bread and butter.
Is s OOC at the end of this year (2022) and has been out of the team for the first 3 games so far. We could trade him in for anything #25+ our 3rd rounder being an absolute bargain. Offer a 3 year deal on low-ish money and we make out like bandits.

How many of Melbourne's flag team were from other clubs?

Langdon
Ben Brown
may
lever

prob more than us in 18'

The thing with trading is to work out just before your window opens.

Otherwise its like us in 00,01 getting collica, prior, sierakowski etc

How many of Melbourne's flag team were from other clubs?

Langdon
Ben Brown
may
lever

prob more than us in 18'

The thing with trading is to work out just before your window opens.

Otherwise its like us in 00,01 getting collica, prior, sierakowski etc
My thoughts on trading: you are getting a safer player as you know they are proven more than a draftee at AFL level. However you dont always get a better player. Whether the draft pick traded out turns good, or the player you bring in doesn't work in your system, is content on returning home etc. etc.
We should aim to bring in a few moneyball type players (under 21), using 3rd rounders onwards, if they fit what we need and then the year you return to finals start luring FA options to complete your team - as they are essentially free from paying any draft capital.
Trading in depth players is such a waste- Langdon tries his heart out for example but isnt going to be any better than he is now or be around for the next serious team we get out on the park.

Definitely very keen on Deven Robertson. Would very likely be able to pick him up for the lower of our 2 second rounders. Is a little one dimensional but would at the very worst in the future be able to provide us with a Redden level inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back