Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B: M. Ling, J. Roughead, S. Stack
HB: D. Eggmolesse-Smith, J. Crisp, C. Ham
C: S. Powell-Pepper, O. Wines, J. Berry
HF: B. Ham, L. Baker, J. Waterman
F: T. Berry, N. Larkey, J. Honey
R: J. Sweet, C. Coleman-Jones, Z. Butters,
I/C: S. Giro, O. Baker, D. Tucker, S. Berry

h/t the trade thread and my 18 month old who refuses to sleep, causing me to do things like this to make the time pass.

soz all.

what I had a few nights ago
63BEE1EC-CE11-4F8B-B3B9-890AAE114F7C.jpeg

I feel kinda embarrassed but I’m not really good with food texture and I’m very hesitant trying new foods.

But recently I have been trying strawberries which I hated the texture of the seeds but I’m now slowly liking them.
I know what you mean. I never liked bananas as a kid for the same reason, love them now, and mushrooms still freak me out at times.

when i first had deep dried chicken feet i was a bit this way, wasn't really sure how the claws texture against the crispy skin would go. prawn heads at the teppenyaki were similar.
Yeah I went to a beer garden in Bangkok and they had deep fried chicken knuckles, it was just gristle I think the bits from the various joints. They were really chewy but quite tasty. Not something I particularly want to eat.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve made Beef Giouvetsi a couple of times recently. Followed this recipe but added some extra veggies and a little bit more wine, tomato and cinnamon. Pretty damn tasty.
View attachment 1261522

I liked the look of this, so I bought all the ingredients to cook tomorrow. Only substitute is Arborio rice instead of orzo, as the missus doesn’t eat gluten. Looking forward to it!

I liked the look of this, so I bought all the ingredients to cook tomorrow. Only substitute is Arborio rice instead of orzo, as the missus doesn’t eat gluten. Looking forward to it!
No gluten? When you eat things gluten free you realise just how important gluten is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Smashed with cottage cheese. Only way to eat em.
I have the smashed avo on a nice seeded bread with a good quality feta (Dodoni, Rousis) quite a lot for breakfast. Usualy sprinkle a bit of dried oregano grown in yiayia’s garden for extra flavour. Great combo. People pay $15+ for 2 slices at cafe’s….crazy.

Has mousaka for dinner tonight with a few glasses of wine. Went down so well. Spent about 4 hours preparation time yesterday but was well worth it. Has to be done properly. Mince must be top quality not the cheap n nasty supermarket stuff. Potatoes, eggplants and zucchini must be shallow fried and drained for excess oil otherwise it gets too greasy and heavy. Just a small layer of Béchamel sauce with a light sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top. A lot of work but if done properly its a superb dish. A once a year dinner at our place. At least there’s enough leftover for dinner again tomorrow again so was worth the effort.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve made Beef Giouvetsi a couple of times recently. Followed this recipe but added some extra veggies and a little bit more wine, tomato and cinnamon. Pretty damn tasty.
View attachment 1261522

Thanks for the recommendation boss. Cooked this up tonight with Arborio rice instead of pasta. The Missus told me it was a keeper. I doubled the carrot and celery, added onion. Reckon I’ll up the cinnamon to 2 tsp next time (its possible this is due to my supply having lived in the back of my pantry for a couple years), and lessen the oil by a smidge just to accomodate for my personal taste. Otherwise, a solid staple that will fit into my meat-cooked-in-rice rotation alongside paella and jambalaya on a regular basis.

Thanks for the recommendation boss. Cooked this up tonight with Arborio rice instead of pasta. The Missus told me it was a keeper. I doubled the carrot and celery, added onion. Reckon I’ll up the cinnamon to 2 tsp next time (its possible this is due to my supply having lived in the back of my pantry for a couple years), and lessen the oil by a smidge just to accomodate for my personal taste. Otherwise, a solid staple that will fit into my meat-cooked-in-rice rotation alongside paella and jambalaya on a regular basis.
Yep, I did much the same the 2nd time. The extra veggies, cinnamon and a dash more red wine went down a treat.
I might have to give the Arborio rice a go next time instead of risoni.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Speaking of Arborio rice, this paella recipe is probably the most popular staple at my house.

Don’t be misled by the s**t photo, this recipe is the schizz. In real life it looks classy, kids and adults both love it, and it’s great for easily multiplying when you have mates over.

My only modifications are replacing the 500g of carbonara with an even 600g three way split between chicken, chorizo and seafood (sometimes carbonara, sometimes just prawns). Because multiple meats are awesome. I also like to not use the capsicum in the food processor, but instead to leave them as little chunks thrown in later because I think the extra red, green and yellow colour looks cool.

Ill add a photo when I make it next.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had egg and bacon rolls for brekky.
Was ok but I need to get the sauce worked out.
Never has as much flavour as I wish it did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back