North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there's past precedent and such, but I'd honestly be a bit shocked if we got one.

We were playing finals as recently as 2016, and have only been "s**t" for 2020 and the first half of 2021. Most people would say that North are an up and coming team, and I agree. It doesn't seem like a team that needs desperate help with their list, it's just a list that needs a few years to develop after a rebuild.

North have turned down two top five picks and late first rounder for pick 1 and an early second rounder. That’s as close as they’ll ever come to getting a PP, can’t want one that much.

I would have been very tempted to do that trade if I was North.

They have to be confident they can retain Horne-Francis otherwise it could come back to bit them on the ass.

They have to be confident they can retain Horne-Francis otherwise it could come back to bit them on the ass.
How many players in recent history have returned to South Australia:

1. Bryce Gibbs when he was at the back end of his career wanting success and for family reasons

2. Eddie Betts because Carlton refused to offer him anywhere close to his market rate, and he then came back to Victoria

3. Motlop and Lycett as free agents for cash, with their original clubs being somewhat accepting of it

4. Burton getting pushed out by the Hawks

5. Jared Polec returning after an initial stint in Brisbane, only to then up and leave to go to North.

6. Fantasia, who stuffed around for years before eventually deciding to go and probably is yet to really prove he's going to be a consistent performer

7. Dawson taking a very good deal at the Crows.

Compare that to the best players from South Australia in recent history:

Phil Davis left Adelaide. Chad Wingard went to Hawthorn, as did Shaun Burgoyne. Hurn and Pavlich never really got serious about moving (correct me if I'm wrong), Lachie Neale left Perth....for Brisbane, Brodie Grundy always seemed happy at Collingwood.

Obviously things are different for every individual but unless I had reason to believe otherwise I wouldn't be worried about Horne-Francis moving. As long as they settle the top picks usually just want to be in a good side

Ah, fu**, he's headed somewhere else then.
Nah he'll take the cash for years 3+4 as almost every player does and by then you'll be well and truly on your way. You might even be on your way by 2023. Plus it's Adelaide, Arden St and surrounds will feel like home and the CBD will feel like a brave new world.

Have NM formally requested a PP? Has there been a decision?

They said they would, but either they didn't apply or it's been knocked back.

The draft order for the November National Draft has now been locked in (Bar Draft Night Pick swaps), with the only addition (bonus) pick given was 19 to Gold Coast off loaded to Freo.

So no North Melbourne will not have a priority pick or any other Draft assistance this season. Really don't qualify for one under the current stringent criteria anyway

I know there's past precedent and such, but I'd honestly be a bit shocked if we got one.

We were playing finals as recently as 2016, and have only been "sh*t" for 2020 and the first half of 2021. Most people would say that North are an up and coming team, and I agree. It doesn't seem like a team that needs desperate help with their list, it's just a list that needs a few years to develop after a rebuild.
Correct, do a few years time is no big deal. Didn't you play consecutive PFs about 5 or so years ago?

Good upcoming youth, about to take pick 1, new coach, the club just needs time, there is no disaster situation that would suggest to me North need or deserve a PP.

Gold Coast are the absolute mess of a club in the AFL. North will be fine in a couple of years.

They said they would, but either they didn't apply or it's been knocked back.

The draft order for the November National Draft has now been locked in (Bar Draft Night Pick swaps), with the only addition (bonus) pick given was 19 to Gold Coast off loaded to Freo.

So no North Melbourne will not have a priority pick or any other Draft assistance this season. Really don't qualify for one under the current stringent criteria anyway

Surely there would have been an announcement if they got knocked back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should be an announcement if we applied too

I’m hoping we did cos it can’t hurt but it’s been radio silence on all ends

If it was happening, you would have heard about it by now.

Starting to think North didn't actually formally applied for one tbh.

As I said, its too close to the National Draft now for North to actually be awarded one.

Let's be honest it was always a 1000-1 shot the AFL would have given you one anyway.

North ended up one of the better wooden spooners.

Bad luck for them my mob caved and took a farthing from the Crows. Dawson would have been a great pick up for them in the PSD.

Would your club done the same a few years back with Sam Walsh?
I don’t think so.
In fact you should your club should be on its hands and knees and thanking the NMFC for the biggest cheer your club has ever achieved in the last 20+ years when your club ran onto the MCG in the 1999 Grand Final.
Then everyone knows what happened after that as the NMFC gave your club a Footballing Education on Football biggest day.
So trying to glory hound a situation of the number 1 pick in JHF and the NMFC to lift the Egos of your own club and it’s supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back