Review Winners and losers, 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Not if you finish bottom 4, it not 2 next season as seems more likely than not.
I get the reasons why you did the deals you did, so not to go into deficit for Daicos but you have not much of a bargaining hand for next year's draft and trade period.
I am curious how Collingwood will get Daicos.... well I mean make sure that they wont pay too much to get him to the point they have a points deficit like freo had with henry in the 2019 draft.

Collingwood would hate to finish bottom and have picks 3-5 rather than pick 1 if they finish bottom. Saying that, I dont see Collingwood getting the spoon in 2022. maybe 13th to 16th and get pick 3-6.

Think Carlton quite easily made the biggest improvements to their squad but didn’t necessarily “win”. We paid fair value for all three recruits but lost Samo for unders.

Adelaide the big winner, if any.

Your team traded out SPS For pick 52 and traded Pick and a 3rd rounder to get Cerra. I highly doubt many carlton fans will be upset in this trade period

I am curious how Collingwood will get Daicos.... well I mean make sure that they wont pay too much to get him to the point they have a points deficit like freo had with henry in the 2019 draft.

Collingwood would hate to finish bottom and have picks 3-5 rather than pick 1 if they finish bottom. Saying that, I dont see Collingwood getting the spoon in 2022. maybe 13th to 16th and get pick 3-6.
I think Richmond could/should be trying to get Collingwood pick 27 for 38 + 40 picks, so the net gain for Collingwood works in points and for Richmond we get the best single pick from the deal inside 30.

Even 38 + 40 for Collingwoods future 2nd I would do.

I think Richmond could/should be trying to get Collingwood pick 27 for 38 + 40 picks, so the net gain for Collingwood works in points and for Richmond we get the best single pick from the deal inside 30.

Even 38 + 40 for Collingwoods future 2nd I would do.
We don't have a future 2nd. Only 3 future 3rds to go along with our 1st.
I'd rather see Collingwood trade pick 27 for a future 2nd. But really depends on who is available on the board this year.
I think the Lions have a highly rated father-son next year, so ideally wouldn't mind maybe offering pick 27 and points for next season for their pick 18 in this draft.

As it stands we have just over 2200 points. Don't think there will be a problem matching a bid for him without going into deficit.

You'd have to say Hawthorn is a loser.

Their President sent a letter to its members which turned out to be about nothing, Sam Mitchell didn't get any more picks he wanted in and is stuck with a bunch of guys he tried to ship, which he thought he could get first round picks for and the market said they're worth a packet of plain salt.

Going to be an interesting 12 months for them.
Lol.

The Blues got the best long term prospect in Cerra but paid a fair price. Hewitt on a four year deal is risky. Overall they did well because they needed to boost their midfield but I’m not yet convinced Cerra will ever be an elite player.

The Crows did well with getting Dawson cheaply but got stiffed on the Kelly compensation.

The Dees did well in getting Dunstan for nothing and on a low contract. Dunstan could have been the best player available in the short run, which suits our window.

The Bombers did well adding Kelly.

The Roos have a good prospect in Coleman-Jones.

The Pies did well to get their picks/points and Lipinski.

Overall I would have the Dees and Bombers the biggest net gainers but it was a very low quality of players moving clubs and there were no real winners or losers.

But they would've had to use it on Daicos anyway so it's a moot point.
Nah. As soon as a bid came in at pick 1 they could have traded pick 2 to anyone for their 2022 first, and then matched a bid for Daicos with later picks like they’ll do now.

The Blues got the best long term prospect in Cerra but paid a fair price. Hewitt on a four year deal is risky. Overall they did well because they needed to boost their midfield but I’m not yet convinced Cerra will ever be an elite player.

The Crows did well with getting Dawson cheaply but got stiffed on the Kelly compensation.

The Dees did well in getting Dunstan for nothing and on a low contract. Dunstan could have been the best player available in the short run, which suits our window.

The Bombers did well adding Kelly.

The Roos have a good prospect in Coleman-Jones.

The Pies did well to get their picks/points and Lipinski.

Overall I would have the Dees and Bombers the biggest net gainers but it was a very low quality of players moving clubs and there were no real winners or losers.
Most Crows supporters thought we got fair value for Kelly.

Swapping Kelly compensation & 2nd rounder for Dawson is a great outcome.

Most Crows supporters thought we got fair value for Kelly.

Swapping Kelly compensation & 2nd rounder for Dawson is a great outcome.

No club got a “great outcome” because there were only average to good players on offer.

The Crows were one of the winners but Dawson for Kelly isn’t going to result in a huge leap up the ladder.

No club got a “great outcome” because there were only average to good players on offer.

The Crows were one of the winners but Dawson for Kelly isn’t going to result in a huge leap up the ladder.
Nowhere did I suggest we would leap up the ladder as 1 quality player isn't going to make us suddenly make finals.

Still a great outcome to effectively swap Dawson for Kelly & 2nd rounder. Kelly is a great stopper but slow with ball in hand. Dawson adds to our mix of outside players who move the ball quickly.

Poulter is a dodgy kick but has a nice combination of speed and endurance on the outside as well.

I must of watched a Different Player as I feel Poulter at least is a Solid Kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must of watched a Different Player as I feel Poulter at least is a Solid Kick
His kicking is fine elsewhere.

But for a wingman whose possessions are mostly uncontested, there really isn't an excuse for him to miss as many targets as he does.

It can improve and probably will, and I do think Poulter has enough weapons/attributes to make it in the AFL. His ceiling is probably a Sam Menegola, which would be a good outcome for someone drafted where he was (in the 2nd round if I recall correctly?)

Am I right in think Collingwood still kept their pick 2 this year, would have split it up into two later 1st round picks, one of them would have been. aborsbed by the Daicos bid.

Would have been more interesting what else the Pies did with their other 1st round pick under that scenario, unfortunately due to SC constraints they probably wouldn't have had to be able to get into the Adam Cerra sweepstakes.

I think in hindsight Graham Wright did as good a job he could have to make sure the Pies don't go into deficit next season.

It was always going to take longer than simply one trade and draft period for him to clean up Ned Guy and Gubby Allan's mess they left, not just with poor trading but arguably more important poor salary cap mismanagement in the last 5 years ago, for which Gubby and probably Eddie don't get enough criticism.

Bringing back an unsavoury tool like Dayne Beams set Collingwood back years, in more ways than one.

Good news for Pies fans those idiots in charge of list management and esp with paying players are now longer at the club , that is big win alone for the black and white.

I can see Adelaide improving a lot next year. Bring in Dawson, an early pick and poached Burgess from the Demons. All this while strengthening next year's draft hand which enables further Dawson type trades. I'd be stoked if I were a Crows fan

I can see Adelaide improving a lot next year. Bring in Dawson, an early pick and poached Burgess from the Demons. All this while strengthening next year's draft hand which enables further Dawson type trades. I'd be stoked if I were a Crows fan

We're historically pretty slow with incorporating players we've drafted into our best 22, so that early pick is probably more relevant to our 2023 fortunes. Still, whilst I don't see us improving a lot next year, just due to how young we are, and how many question marks I have on the squad at this point, I'm pretty happy with how things are going so far.

Am I right in think Collingwood still kept their pick 2 this year, would have split it up into two later 1st round picks, one of them would have been. aborsbed by the Daicos bid.

Would have been more interesting what else the Pies did with their other 1st round pick under that scenario, unfortunately due to SC constraints they probably wouldn't have had to be able to get into the Adam Cerra sweepstakes.

I think in hindsight Graham Wright did as good a job he could have to make sure the Pies don't go into deficit next season.

It was always going to take longer than simply one trade and draft period for him to clean up Ned Guy and Gubby Allan's mess they left, not just with poor trading but arguably more important poor salary cap mismanagement in the last 5 years ago, for which Gubby and probably Eddie don't get enough criticism.

Bringing back an unsavoury tool like Dayne Beams set Collingwood back years, in more ways than one.

Good news for Pies fans those idiots in charge of list management and esp with paying players are now longer at the club , that is big win alone for the black and white.
Had we kept pick 2 we would’ve had Callaghan and Daicos. With North not risking not getting Hornes at pick 1.

Winner: Carlton
Cerra and Hewitt for a net loss of realistically only pick 6, is good business. Readies them for next year. Amazingly managed salary cap given the ability to add several players while lists and TPP are contracting.

2nd place Fremantle
In: Pick 6, 19, Clark, Brodie, 61, 69, Geelong Future 4th
Out: Cerra, pick 27, Future 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Used the free salary cap space created by Cerra to essentially buy picks off Gold Coast which is good business, got two players Brodie and Clark who should offset the loss of Cerra a little. Have a top 3 draft hand heading into the draft despite finishing 11th.

Last: Sydney
Lost Dawson for unders, lost Hewitt for free. Downgraded their first rounder, offset slightly by adding Ladhams. Ladhams only really keeps them level field as Hickey declines. I’d be annoyed as a Sydney supporter. Fortunately have the academy to absorb these small losses and rebound quickly.

2nd last: Gold Coast
Only 1 pick this year, adding numerous late selections next year. Freeing up salary space for a list that didn’t perform too well, screams of over payment to keep players. Which is well recognized but must be frustrating.
Perfectly happy with opposition fans to rank us as 'losers' in this trade period but I think the notion of ranking teams to such an extent as you have is rather silly. St Kilda and Carlton have been the kings of the trade period in recent history and have had nothing to show for it as of yet.

Gold Coast along with the other small/interstate teams are always going to 'lose' the trade period due to the sheer difficulty in retaining and luring of talent. The Lions, Swans and Giants have proven though that development from within (provided some reasonable concessions are thrown their way) can result in sustained periods of success with enough patience.

The Suns have talent coming out of their ears and just need a bit of luck in retaining some of the top end players to build something special. Considering how hard they have attacked the draft the last couple of years, I don't actually think they need a big draft haul in 2021 to achieve future success provided that the likes of Miller, Lukosius and King are re-signed for the medium to long term. As you mentioned, the likely overs paid on player salaries would be causing a strain so I think they are well served to stagger the next wave of talent drafted into the club anyway. Of course, everyone at GC could move on next year and it would leave the club in utter turmoil, so wait and see I guess.

Also, Sydney chose to let Hewitt go (after the Swans attempted to trade him last year following his back surgery) and it wasn't for nothing. Pick 39 mightn't count for much return in some people's eyes but remember this is a club that has converted the likes of Parker, Reid, Rampe, Lloyd, Papley, Dawson, McCartin and Warner from lumps of coal into diamonds. Any loss taken from the departure of Hewett is completely short term and requires only minor adjustments to the roles of current personnel.

Dawson was definitely an unforeseen loss but Ladhams being taken for such a bargain price almost completely offsets that. The money saved will also allow the Swans to target any free agents that might fill a void in their list for 2023 which is when most supporters (and prospective free agents) would realistically expect us to be challenging for our next flag.

All hypothetical of course, but then again, so are the yearly predictions of outcomes resulting from the trade period.

Had we kept pick 2 we would’ve had Callaghan and Daicos. With North not risking not getting Hornes at pick 1.
Agree thats the most likely outcome. At worst we would have traded it for for a future 1st on draft night and maybe even gotten a few picks in the 40s throw in for free to match the Daicos bid

There is no chance whatsoever Collingwood is turning down a bid at Daicos at 1. As much as Collingwood have come across as that dumb in recent times. North knows that as well.

Really what you lost is an extra first round pick in 2022 from that trade.

There is no chance whatsoever Collingwood is turning down a bid at Daicos at 1. As much as Collingwood have come across as that dumb in recent times. North knows that as well.

Really what you lost is an extra first round pick in 2022 from that trade.
Yes there is, if Hornes was genuinely hypothetically ranked as the number one pick, we would be taking best available.

And it’s not like we haven’t passed on father son selections before - Jake Kelly, James Stewart etc

Winners - Melbourne.
No other teams really improved their list, at least enough to make up that gap. Dees are improving. Rising star winner and 4 other nominations. Their competition underrated the growth period Melbourne is in.

Losers - North.
Left a tremendous deal on the table for their pick 1. They will still get great value for JHF when he leaves, but will lose years of development they simply cannot afford to lose. On top of that, years of development that could’ve been better used.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Winners - Melbourne.
No other teams really improved their list, at least enough to make up that gap. Dees are improving. Rising star winner and 4 other nominations. Their competition underrated the growth period Melbourne is in.

Losers - North.
Left a tremendous deal on the table for their pick 1. They will still get great value for JHF when he leaves, but will lose years of development they simply cannot afford to lose. On top of that, years of development that could’ve been better used.

What makes you certain JHF is leaving?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back