Opinion Where will the Daicos Family rate in 10 years ?

Forethought

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Where will the Daicos family rate in the future vs the other great VFL/ AFL families?
Just to name a few:
Ablett’s, Maddens, Silvagni’s Selwood’s, Shaw’s , Daniher’s, Pannams/ Richards.
Have fun

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the Danihers, Terry and Neale were the best but the latter had a shortish career. Tony wasn't bad, Joe is pretty good but Chris was average.

Abletts the benchmark if you look at 2 greats from 1 family. May never be matched . Silvagnis great also but if Nick turns out to be the player we hope the Daicos name can reach that level.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Josh and Nick will be A graders, all depends on how much 'success' they can accumulate, that is reliant in part on the club / team

Certainly the Macedonian Marvel is largely regarded as the most dexterous player the game has ever seen, that alone is heady stuff considering the company he's been in the 163 years of the game.

Abletts the benchmark if you look at 2 greats from 1 family. May never be matched . Silvagnis great also but if Nick turns out to be the player we hope the Daicos name can reach that level.
I actually think both the Colliers and Coventrys have the Ablett’s and Sivagni’s covered

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pannam/Richards family.

In all, the various members of the Pannam/Richards dynasty played a total of 928 games, kicked 1125 goals, produced three club captains, won eight club goalkicking awards, one League goalkicking award, one Copeland Trophy and were a part of 19 Grand Final sides, for eight Premierships. It is a staggering record.

Both Gary Abletts were better than each of the 4 Colliers and Coventrys. It is hard to make a case for a family to be better than those two Abletts.

I can see your point buy were they really? Gordon Coventry set records that would not be broken 60 years. Indeed, so prolific did Gordon Coventry become that a number of newspapers would end up describing him as “the Don Bradman of football”. He might not have been as flash as Ablett Snr but he was every bit as good. Syd Coventry was the greatest footballer of the 1920s and is the only man in history to Captain 4 flags in a row. His deeds may have been forgotten but he was every bit as good a footballer as Ablett Jnr. Jack Dyer an avid Collingwood hater said Albert Collier was the finest footballer he ever saw and thge greatest CHB the game ever saw. Harry Collier was every bit as good as Junior. Unfortunately the years have washed away their glory.

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
I can see your point buy were they really? Gordon Coventry set records that would not be broken 60 years. Indeed, so prolific did Gordon Coventry become that a number of newspapers would end up describing him as “the Don Bradman of football”. He might not have been as flash as Ablett Snr but he was every bit as good. Syd Coventry was the greatest footballer of the 1920s and is the only man in history to Captain 4 flags in a row. His deeds may have been forgotten but he was every bit as good a footballer as Ablett Jnr. Jack Dyer an avid Collingwood hater said Albert Collier was the finest footballer he ever saw and the greatest CHB the game ever saw. Harry Collier was every bit as good as Junior. Unfortunately the years have washed away their glory.
Yes the Coventrys and Colliers were prodigies of hard work and talent. The Coventrys actually delivered every ounce of potential and the Colliers close to it. That Dyer comment is telling as he was football to his fingernails, this isn't some Hamish McLachlan jibber jabber. My old man agreed about Leeter, and felt Harry was only a shade below him.

Ablett snr had everyone covered IMHO but of course my information is incomplete. Gary Jnr is a great player and deserved Brownlow, but two levels below his father (despite recent frothing to the contrary). Add in his uncles Kevin and Geoff and bro Nathan and I think they may shade our greats, but its hardly an open and shut case.

Peter Daicos is an interesting case. He was a one-way player most of his career, I recall in 1990 he laid several tackles and I was astounded. This isn't a knock, he was a gun but he did start as a midfielder and didn't do that much to stop his opponent. He was a trifle slow.

He had every trick in the book and was the first player since 1903 to invent a new kick (when Dick Condon invented the stab pass), the grubbed banana (and variations) now used by so many players. It used to be a sin on the rougher turf of yesteryear to grub the ball, Daicos used the smoother pitches from the mid 1980's to superb effect. I recall a deliberated bounced snap from about 45 against Melbourne, eve though he kicked it across his body it bounced dead straight, and straight through. It was mind boggling.

All his kicks were effective to the highest degree: his torps were very accurate, his drop punts high tier, his snaps and bananas unsurpassed and of course his grubbed and mid air swipes were his specialities. People joked about how good his soccer skills were but he never played soccer.

His kicking action was often ragged but the results were excellent, he was actually not as good a straight kick as Dunstall or Lockett (still great) but degree of difficulty didn't seem to affect him as sharply as others, so "impossible" shots were gettable. He didn't seem to ever forget where the goals were, he could be weaving for half a minute and dob it over his shoulder without checking.

He was the best baulk I ever saw. He could tilt the ground with his hips, one side step and the universe span and the other players would fall over. It doesn't always show up on the TV replay, you really had to be there to see it: he'd suddenly be two steps off the tagger, so many of his goals see this guy easily clear of the pack and dobbing a slightly awkward looking kick. This was a guy who was a known goal machine and pretty slow, but he had so much space: seriously forget Pendles and Dal Santo, they had time yes but Daics didn't need it.

In a couple of areas Daicos is the GOAT. Josh shows some of the baulking ability and is a decent kick too. Better fitness at this stage too, but frankly he is not showing Peter's promise. Nick is, hopefully they both go to the very top. Currently they are not in the race.

Back