Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Who said they were a bust?

Read the threads mate. Plenty of experts here. Plenty of players being written off. I have read so far Caddy, George, RCD, Broad is a favorite, Ross, Edwards, Prestia and Cotchin.
My whole point is I don’t want a Mitchell or O’Meara. I want to see us put time into the young guys. There’s a reason we drafted them. The next 2 years is critical.

Who RCD or McGuane?

If you are talking about RCD I have no issue with him except he need to up the physicals. What worries me about RCD is not RCD but others trying to pidgeon-hole him into being purely a inside mid.

We have plenty of others that are not purely inside mids so why pick on RCD? Whats wrong with allowing RCD to be versatile? Why should we want to limit or restrict RCD and in effect his contribution to the team and our teams impact?
I was referring to rcd

RCD would have got way more game time and more games if he'd been physically capable of performing at the already great level he showed he was capable of in parts of games. He wasn't demoted or benched for any lack of ability, just when he fell off a cliff because he needed a rest.

It may take him another season or three to reach a level where he's physically capable of becoming a week in, week out, genuine full-game mid, but all the talent required is certainly already there.

The upside is that with decent injury luck, his slow start should allow him to play well into his 30's.

Read the threads mate. Plenty of experts here. Plenty of players being written off. I have read so far Caddy, George, RCD, Broad is a favorite, Ross, Edwards, Prestia and Cotchin.
My whole point is I don’t want a Mitchell or O’Meara. I want to see us put time into the young guys. There’s a reason we drafted them. The next 2 years is critical.

Agree with all of this. Would like an experienced inside mid though. Won’t be this year but hopefully next year we can add one to the mix. Like Taranto.

Not really.

What good tall?
Van Rooyen would be a great get with something in the 20s (might go higher given lack of talls)

Amiss is considered a top 8-12 pick I think and could be an option at either 7 or 15.

Gibcus is apparantly top 5 and is likely best available if there at 7.

None of those players are better than Petracca at ground level. I think Oliver is better than all of those at ground level. Bont and others can beat Petracca in the air but at ground level trac has the edge.

I am not saying who the best player is I am just saying at ground level, Petracca is supreme for a guy who is 186 cm compared to that list.

If the ball hits the deck after the ruck I am backing Petracca, if its just off the hands still in the air, Fyfe, Cripps have a edge because of their height and reach.

The point is when it hits the deck from the ruck Libba, Mitchell, Prestia, Graham are your go to guys but if trac is still there he is in with a good chance but less so with Bont, Cripps and Fyfe
Geez mate there are so many who are just as good if not better than Petracca at ground level. Its not at ground level that made petracca's year this year it was his dusty like ability to be so damaging with ball in hand and in space.

I really do wonder at the lack of thought that goes into some of your posts.

Just an example Jack McCrae had just one less contested ball for the season he had more clearances more tackles and more ball. Petracca was more damaging not at ground level but in his use of the ball when he got it way more goals and like dusty took on kicks that most would not.

What makes Dusty special is not just his ability to get the ball then break tackles its his ability to get himself into space win a clearance and then use the ball superbly or kick a goal. That is what sets him apart and this year it was the same for Petracca.

You know what the blokes on that list mainly have and they all have it and it mostly has nothing to do with their height its their body size and shape that allows them to be so dominant as THEY ALL ARE at ground level.What really seperates these types is what they do with ball in hand.

Geez mate there are so many who are just as good if not better than Petracca at ground level. Its not at ground level that made petracca's year this year it was his dusty like ability to be so damaging with ball in hand and in space.

Just an example Jack McCrae had just one less contested ball for the season he had more clearances more tackles and more ball. Petracca was more damaging not at ground level but in his use of the ball when he got it way more goals and like dusty took on kicks that most would not.

What makes Dusty special is not just his ability to get the ball then break tackles its his ability to get himself into space win a clearance and then use the ball superbly or kick a goal. That is what sets him apart and this year it was the same for Petracca.

You know what the blokes on that list mainly have and they all have it and it mostly has nothing to do with their height its their body size and shape that allows them to be so dominant as THEY ALL ARE at ground level.What really seperates these types is what they do with ball in hand.

Whilst it might sound strange but i will go back to a saying an old coach of mine used to say

" The extra 20mtr player is a special player that other teams cant coach against"

Petracca is that extra 20mtr player that has that ability like dusty to either break a tackle or shrug off a player or sprint away from a player that gives them the extr 20mtrs before kicking it that makes them special. How many times we have seen Dusty , Petracca , Bont , Judd just do these things that gives them that extra 20 mtrs before the kick that other teams cannot defend

Agree with this - that kick in the grand final across his body to Tom McDonald was Martin-esque

Fyfe, Dangerwood et al don’t think about hitting that kick - that’s what sets them apart

Total clearances is not a reflection of ground ball play.

Who at 186 cm or taller, in the AFL, is better at ground ball than Petracca? Certainly not Macrae, Macrae is quite slow, and relies on high handballs and marking, Libba gets a lot of it and feeds it out

Hardly any of those taller types play at ground level, especially Cripps, they rely on taps from height from ruckman and others to feed them the ball

Has champion data gone through with vision examples how they calculate a clearance and a contested clearance?

Last edited:
My worry is that it'll be a Mark Murphy scenario. What a sad way to go out.
And not sure he has the goal kicking. But perhaps as a George upgrade.. might work. Captain of the forward line..... I'm coming around!!
Marc Murphy has never played like Cotchin. Murphy was a great lose ball run and receive type player. Cotchin is see ball get ball, I don't think there is a player in the league that goes harder at a ground ball than Cotchin, which could translate to a good crumber. He would run through defenders to get to it. He is also a very good one-on-one player, not so dissimilar to Martin. So he could be used as a real forward and not just a pressure forward ala Castagna, Aarts, Rioli.

He is too good a player not to be able to reinvent himself.

And what separates Martin from Petracca and Dangerfield, who all have breakaway pace is Martin's kicking. Imagine Judd with Martins boot, the greatest player ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reading thru the last few pages.

Nowhere have i come across anyone saying delist any of the younger mids. People really do get too precious when posters point out obvious deficiencies and a lack of good form.

I for one wanted RCD, Ross Dow, Martyn played in a whole heap more games than they were.But i really do have some serious doubts about all of them.
When you give your reasons you are howled down and accused of dumping on young players.
Without going into it much Jack Ross as an example has gone backwards yeah there may be valid reasons for it but it doesn't alter the fact he has stagnated.
The same knocks that were spoken about RCD in his draft year are still being spoken about.

Outside of RCD we have not had a top 20 mid pick in years yet the expectation seems to be the ones we have will replace the likes of Martin and Cotchin Prestia !!!!!.

Its the same with our talls on the list Rance at 18 Riewoldt at 13 Lynch originally drafted at 11 yet no one seems to want us to take a tall on with anything remotely resembling a top 20 pick.

As for the tall debate and the supposed lesser quality of talls going around this year sheesh we hear a similar sort of sentiment most years,
With the sort of talk that goes on we would never take a tall inside 30 yet alone 20.

From what i have seen and gathered on Jye Amiss id say he plays an awful lot like JR. what ever he lacks in athletically he certainly makes up for in smarts.
it is crazy to say he lacks quality for a tall or he is going to be of lesser quality to talls drafted in previous drafts.If Amiss lacks quality Riewoldt certainly did in his draft year as well.

To finish i am all for taking the best option no matter position with our top 10 pick imo a mid, but if that player ends up being Amiss or JVR Gibcus because they are rated highly then so be it, it won't be the end of the world a damn good mid will be waiting for us at 15.

To get back on topic imo a big quality inside ball winning clearance player is almost the #1 priority along with a quality key forward.I think this because
I have my doubts about RCD and Ross ever getting anywhere near Martin Cotchin or Prestia's level and because we are vulnerable when it comes to contested ball and clearances.

Ithink a quality kpf is such a priority because the list is screaming at us with just Lynch and Riewoldt there as genuine key forwards and quality ones at that what we hope to replace em with third round onwards picks.It aint happening.

Agree with all of this. Would like an experienced inside mid though. Won’t be this year but hopefully next year we can add one to the mix. Like Taranto.

I think the next two years of retirements and drafting will be quite exciting. And i am wrapped we are sticking to a plan. Keep bringing in young and hungry kids.

RCD really needs to step up next year or be overtaken by the new draftees coming in. Coaches are always eager to bring in the new shiny toy and a midfielder chosen with an early pick is certainly an exciting prospect. Players like RCD, Ross, Dow and Martyn will have to really fight to be seen above these prospects and put together a string of blinder games in the 2nd's or they will quickly be pushed down the pecking order.

RCD has all the explosive power and strength in the world but he needs more. He needs the endurance and the fight to win through a full game. He really does remind me of Dangerfield, the way he wins the ball and bursts away from stoppages but he also reminds me of him in other ways. Dangerfield is far from elite by foot and I fear RCD is the same.

I hope he has a blinder pre-season and really works on his endurance. If he does then he really can be an asset to our midfield. If not then, he'll be quickly bypassed.

RCD really needs to step up next year or be overtaken by the new draftees coming in. Coaches are always eager to bring in the new shiny toy and a midfielder chosen with an early pick is certainly an exciting prospect. Players like RCD, Ross, Dow and Martyn will have to really fight to be seen above these prospects and put together a string of blinder games in the 2nd's or they will quickly be pushed down the pecking order.

RCD has all the explosive power and strength in the world but he needs more. He needs the endurance and the fight to win through a full game. He really does remind me of Dangerfield, the way he wins the ball and bursts away from stoppages but he also reminds me of him in other ways. Dangerfield is far from elite by foot and I fear RCD is the same.

I hope he has a blinder pre-season and really works on his endurance. If he does then he really can be an asset to our midfield. If not then, he'll be quickly bypassed.

maybe the lockdown is a blessing for him as most of the players are in the gym and not holidays.

His direct comp will be picks 7 and 15 next year. He will struggle if we trade up and get a Fin or Ward for games in the senior list

Ill call it - RCD will become our biggest improver in 2022 and by th end of the season will be best 22

" Lambert has paired up with RCD this off-season and has been working with him to improve his running and fitness. "

Was that a call from RCD or the club? - or Lambo?

If RCD can get anywhere near Lambert's running ability he will be a star. A genuine rolled gold A grader. In my opinion anyway.

Was that a call from RCD or the club? - or Lambo?

If RCD can get anywhere near Lambert's running ability he will be a star. A genuine rolled gold A grader. In my opinion anyway.
Not too sure who made the call but i would be thinking it would have been between the 2 players and the club wouldnt have been against that
Lambert has taken a few players under his wing in the off season in the past with Shai being one. Lambert is lso doing some footage work with some of the younger players

Everyone should lay off RCD - they have clearly forgotten about Alex Rance's first three seasons. Success can make you forget the road taken to get there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back