News Crows appoint new chairman, John Olsen AO

Is this a good appointment?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know, I work with a guy who is virtually a Bolt clone, and I am definitely not. We have a bit of back and forwards but in general get on really well.
I work with a Port supporter, so I know exactly what that is like.

oh except we don’t get on. He’s an absolute flog

What I like from both Olsen and Silvers is that they seem to be keeping it a professional relationship with the media, or at least 5AA. Used to be a whole lot of “Triggy” and Chappie” and “Fages” and mutual tug jobs going on. Now you hear them do that with “Kochie” and “CD” and “Richo” and the rest of their schnoozmas

If JO and TS can get us into Brompton they deserve to have parts of the facilities named after them.

What I like from both Olsen and Silvers is that they seem to be keeping it a professional relationship with the media, or at least 5AA. Used to be a whole lot of “Triggy” and Chappie” and “Fages” and mutual tug jobs going on. Now you hear them do that with “Kochie” and “CD” and “Richo” and the rest of their schnoozmas

If JO and TS can get us into Brompton they deserve to have parts of the facilities named after them.

Funny you should mention nicknames, as they too were wiped out of board meetings with the arrival of JO.

Some pretty paranoid posting in this thread early on

I'll admit I was wrong in my concern about him being a SANFL stooge.

He's made some great decisions so far and the club seems to be heading in a great direction. I was not really worried about his political affiliation, the concern for me was his connection to the SANFL and what his intentions were as Chairman as to whether he was at the club to make us better or to bring us back into the SANFL's fiold.

I'm still a little tad worried about ending up at Thebarton under the SANFL's watchful eye, but if the club can nail Brompton bid then I'll be a full convert.

He's made some great decisions so far and the club seems to be heading in a great direction. I was not really worried about political affiliation the concern for me was his connection to the SANFL and what his intentions were.

I'm still a little tad worried about ending up at Thebarton under the SANFL's watchful eye, but if the club can nail Brompton box then I'll be a full convert.
If we miss out on Brompton it won’t be because he or the club haven’t done enough it will be based on commercial grounds we couldn’t compete with normal developments.

We are clearly restricted for choice and if we end up at Thebby, his priority will still be us.

If we miss out on Brompton it won’t be because he or the club haven’t done enough it will be based on commercial grounds we couldn’t compete with normal developments.

We are clearly restricted for choice and if we end up at Thebby, his priority will still be us.
It will also be because Renewal SA are a bunch of complete muppets not far removed from the uselessness of the Adelaide City Council.

He's made some great decisions so far and the club seems to be heading in a great direction. I was not really worried about his political affiliation, the concern for me was his connection to the SANFL and what his intentions were as Chairman as to whether he was at the club to make us better or to bring us back into the SANFL's fiold.

I'm still a little tad worried about ending up at Thebarton under the SANFL's watchful eye, but if the club can nail Brompton bid then I'll be a full convert.

I think that's an unrealistic test. It's an open tender, he's done all he can by prioritising Brompton over Thebby, partnering with a developer and submitting our tender. The selection of tenderer is out of his hands. As much as I'd like us to get what we want, I don't think there should be political interference into the RSA selection process. And I can't imagine there would be given our profile and who our chairperson is. We just have to hope that the uniquness of our tender carries the day.

It will also be because Renewal SA are a bunch of complete muppets not far removed from the uselessness of the Adelaide City Council.

They're public servants that are required to adhere to a process. Selecting tenders is simply about getting scored on various categories. A 10 for open space and 3 for financial return to RSA isn't as good as a pair of 7s. Reality is that we don't know the weightings though.

Missus and I have stayed in both Brompton and Bowden last month or so. Cant believe how industrial Brompton still is. We stumbled across the wall whilst looking for the pub and spoke about it briefly. Wasn't until we were eating lunch that I realised that was the proposed site. Weird pair of suburbs with the mix of new, old, industrial, wealthy, youth and poverty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missus and I have stayed in both Brompton and Bowden last month or so. Cant believe how industrial Brompton still is. We stumbled across the wall whilst looking for the pub and spoke about it briefly. Wasn't until we were eating lunch that I realised that was the proposed site. Weird pair of suburbs with the mix of new, old, industrial, wealthy, youth and poverty.
Its really a wide mix. It was ignored 30 years ago and it wasnt until many spotted how close it was to the city that the change set in. Unfortunately the high industrial mix brings its own issues ie chemical leeching etc

It will be another 30-50 years that will see clean ups get better and expansion from Park Tce to Hawker St and further back to South Rd starts to unfold.

It has so much potential and hopefully the Amatil site getting sold will accelerate the process

His preference is definitely Brompton because we would own it.

Let’s remove the desert and other uninhabitable land (mines, agricultural land) but also remove the emissions from those activities, and let’s see if Aussies are the environmental monsters that you make out.
The numbers skewed for many reasons. But picking the one that suits your argument the best is not the answer

That may be right, but its like the old argument that Australia's contribution to climate change is so small compared to the rest of the world, whatever we do is negligible so let's do nothing. Technically correct but not tenable.

I'm certainly not advocating we do nothing. We all can, and should, make choices to make our own small contribution, however it won't amount to anything if government doesn't force industry to get on board.

And it makes the 'well if you're not carbon neutral how dare you lecture industry!' a truly disingenuous argument.

Back