Prediction 2022 ladder after 23 rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't disagree but next year you are going to have a chunk of those players on the wrong side of 30

Edwards will be 33
Cotchin will be 32
Martin will be31
Lambert will be30
Lynch will be 30
Prestia will be 30

That doesn't mean they are guaranteed to fall away but it is a big possibility

Add to that the below players who are all best 22 will be 30 or over next year too

Reiwoldt will be 33
Tarrant will be 33
Astubry will be 31
Grimes will be 31
Pickett will be 30
Caddy will be 30 (not sure if he is still contracted though)

I think Richmond should bounce back up but that is half your best 22 being 30 or over it is far from guaranteed imo. I can se why you guys have gone to the draft with a strong draft hand to start replenishing the list
end of next year I reckon Cotchin, Lambert, Reiwoldt, and Caddy will be done.
That's roughly 1.5 to 2 Million in the bank, that will help sort the back ended contracts.
Maybe it's just me, but I think Shedda could be Burgoyne like and play for 3 more.

Year after will most likely see Tarrant. Grimes,Pickett. and if out of contract, Meatball.
There's another shitload of cash coming back to set up the next Gen, and it Means the only old blokes on the list will be Martin and Lynch.

Last edited:
I suspect Sydney won't be as good next year as we were in 2021 but we will still be on the cusp of the 8.

Why won't they be as good ? Kneejerk because Dawson and Hewitt are gone. Rowbottom replaces Hewitt and probably better. Dawson a loss but not the difference of being better or worse. Improvement from younger players in best 22 already cancel out his loss.

Why won't they be as good ? Kneejerk because Dawson and Hewitt are gone. Rowbottom replaces Hewitt and probably better. Dawson a loss but not the difference of being better or worse. Improvement from younger players in best 22 already cancel out his loss.

Generally speaking when a young team has a surprisingly good season before anyone expected them to they tend to have a slight dip the next year.

Generally speaking when a young team has a surprisingly good season before anyone expected them to they tend to have a slight dip the next year.

It was unexpected by those who are not very good judges. Good judges would have expected them to push for the 8. Rebuild has been going solid for 4 years.

Melbourne 72
GWS Giants 64
Bulldogs 62
Geelong 56
Brisbane 54
Sydney 52
Carlton 48
Port Adelaide 48

Richmond 44
St.Kilda 44
West Coast 40
Fremantle 40
Essendon 40
Gold Coast 32
North Melbourne 32
Hawthorn 28
Adelaide 20
Collingwood 20

1. Melbourne: The youngest team in the finals. Will only get better.
2. Port: A big home ground advantage so will do well in the H&A.
3. Sydney. Better young kids than most give them credit for. Play will energy.
4. Dogs: Natural improvement of young players but probably less favoured by the umps in 2022 than 2021
5. Brisbane: I've never rated them as much as others. Zorko, Bailey and Cameron are their only dangerous players.
6. Richmond: Ageing list. They won't be half as scary once Riewoldt finishes up.
7. Essendon: A good young list. Further improvement should come from the kids.
8. Geelong: Retirement village. Geelong will be the victim of Scott's stubbornness and inability to recognise that a rebuild is/was needed.
———————
9. St Kilda: Have a better list than previous ladder finishes.
10. Carlton: Unhealthy reliance on Walsh.
11. West Coast: Not half the team without Josh Kennedy in his prime.
12. Freo: Will they ever play Serong in his natural position full time with healthy TOG%?
13. GWS: Toby Greene, what a leader.
14. Collingwood. Hi Ned Guy
15. Hawthorn. If they get their kids right in this draft it'll be a quick rebuild.
16. GC: Deserve to be higher than Adelaide. Rowell and Anderson must produce
17. North: Will Phillips and No.1 pick will generate energy into the group.
18. Adelaide. Spooners

end of next year I reckon Cotchin, Lambert, Reiwoldt, and Caddy will be done.
That's roughly 1.5 to 2 Million in the bank, that will help sort the back ended contracts.
Maybe it's just me, but I think Shedda could be Burgoyne like and play for 3 more.

Year after will most likely see Tarrant. Grimes,Pickett. and if out of contract, Meatball.
There's another shitload of cash coming back to set up the next Gen, and it Means the only old blokes on the list will be Martin and Lynch.
Is Shedda Astbury?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I was going to start a new thread for it but could probably just add it to the conversation here. What are people's predictions for the ladder midway through 4 rounds in 2022? (To simplify things don't include the results from matches that you think might be scheduled on the Sunday of round 4).

I'll start us off:

1. Melbourne – Too good. It's going to take some time for for teams to work out how to stop them.
2. Suns – Possibly some home games early on against easier opponents.
3. Essendon – They can play good footy and win games.
4. Swans – I'm anticipating some good match-ups in the first few rounds. Maybe at home too.
5. Cats – They have an old list but it will be younger at the start of the season than it will be at the end of the season.
6. Port – Hearing good things about them being ready to go from round 1.
7. GiantsToby Greene out early is a big loss but I reckon he'll be an asset in the coaches box.
8. Carlton – Maybe they can win round 1 this time?
9. Richmond – My analysis actually had them 7th but I put them 9th anyway.
10. St Kilda – Reckon the Saints will start well but be let down with a round 4 Sunday game that doesn't count here.
11. Freo – Got a good team I think but maybe slow to start.
12. North – A couple of upset wins before round 5.
13. Crows – Maybe biased but I see a big percentage boosting win early helping them over a few teams stuck on the same amount of points.
14. Eagles – I think Covid cases linked to the playing group in early 2022 could be a distraction.
15. Hawks – They will win a game but that's it.
16. Dogs – Reckon they'll start slowly because preseason won't be tapered quite right to have them ready to go round 1.
17. Brisbane – Some difficult early match-ups predicted and a Sunday game in round 4.
18. Collingwood – Should turn things around eventually but I expect that will be closer to round 10.

I must admit I am very interested to see what happens to Geelong this year. I wonder if it will be the tipping point age wise as they will have 14 players on their list over 30 by the time the season starts next year.
I like Geelong but I reckon they are due to fall off the cliff big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne
Brisbane
Port
Sydney
Western bulldogs
Essendon
Carlton
Fremantle
———————-
GWS
Geelong
St kilda
Gold Coast
Richmond
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
West coast
Collingwood
Adelaide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbourne
Brisbane
Port
Sydney
Western bulldogs
Essendon
Carlton
Fremantle
———————-
GWS
Geelong
St kilda
Gold Coast
Richmond
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
West coast
Collingwood
Adelaide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty reasonable overall - yep, my Saints 7-12 so 11 in ball park
Dee's at 1- long drought - fair hangover to overcome - lot of history would suggest it's hard to back up :think:

Geelong will still win enough games at their hole of a ground to get into the 8, and perhaps even the 4 again, but they're still as close to flag now as we are.

Impossible to stay up forever as the Hawks found out . Certainly the cliff is fast approaching and they look the most vulnerable of the top 5 sides to slide.
9 home games at Geelong is a good kicker though . They may have another 12 months in them........................unfortunately! :mad:

You'd have to be especially stupid to think Collingwood are finishing last next year. Same people probably thought that Melbourne would finish last in 2020.

Western Bulldogs
Port
Brisbane
Melbourne

St Kilda
GWS
Fremantle
Carlton
———————-
Richmond
Sydney
Geelong
Gold Coast
North Melbourne
West coast
Collingwood
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Essendon*

Crystal ball (admittedly, a lot of this is wishful thinking)
Think Melbourne will feel they've proven themselves enough to cruise a bit during the regular season but ramp it up for the finals. Richmond-2017-20 style.

Think Doggies are the main threat, really no core players should drop off since they're all still young and in their prime. I think if they keep that Obrien guy healthy, a decent ruck will do wonders for them.

Port and Brisbane also look primed.

Freo and Blues to scrape into the 8th, just ahead on % from Ninthmond.

Think people are underrating the losses Sydney had, they'll be in the 7-11 range imo.

Geelong and the Coasters to continue their slide into middle-age.

Bombers to have another drug scandal and finish last.

North to look good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back