2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's 25% Player cut not funding cut. This is because of the amount of players now in the academy with the 9 girls age groups along side the boys.

They are now focusing on elite and draft-able talent so a lot of the 'hanger onerers' will be cut.

On a side note, benchmarks for u15 (u16 2022) all the way through to u19s start in December with the invitees announced on Monday so it'd be interesting to see the number of cuts.
That makes more sense. My source is a mother of a talented kid in the academy but her family and friends are rugby union mad. She knows very little about Aussie Rules football. When I listen to her I get fragments of information and I have to try to put it together. I'm based in Melbourne so I'm a long way away.

That makes more sense. My source is a mother of a talented kid in the academy but her family and friends are rugby union mad. She knows very little about Aussie Rules football. When I listen to her I get fragments of information and I have to try to put it together. I'm based in Melbourne so I'm a long way away.

So you practically live in the 3rd world. My apologies for your struggles.

Am really disappointed for those youngsters who will miss out. As we all know, kids develop at different rates and some are late bloomers. By the way, I am not arguing that every child win a prize.

We should always rookie 1 academy at a minimum

Yeah agree. No go home factor then. Sheather looks like a win and he was a little further down the totem pole at the time of his drafting.

I especially like the idea of using and promoting the pathway in this way. Over time this strategy will become more and more useful as the gap between top end draft talent and top end academy talent narrows

Interested how he got into Aussie Rules, being from a rugby mad family (or is that just his mum)?
Her kids and my sisters kids grew up playing Rugby Union and League. I lived in the eastern suburbs for 16 years. The rise of the academy brought prestige to your son being in the academy. Each kid gets reports professionally presented each year and the parents get caught up in it and its a talking point. Parents brag about little Johnny and compare results. So more eastern suburbs kids kid drawn in on parents wanting the same so they get them playing aussie rules. Most of my friends from there are rugby orientated(around Randwick mostly). But their kids, because of other kids and Heeney and Mills etc have been drawn to Aussie rules and the academy. It has also taken off in lots more schools too. It feeds on itself.

Her kids and my sisters kids grew up playing Rugby Union and League. I lived in the eastern suburbs for 16 years. The rise of the academy brought prestige to your son being in the academy. Each kid gets reports professionally presented each year and the parents get caught up in it and its a talking point. Parents brag about little Johnny and compare results. So more eastern suburbs kids kid drawn in on parents wanting the same so they get them playing aussie rules. Most of my friends from there are rugby orientated(around Randwick mostly). But their kids, because of other kids and Heeney and Mills etc have been drawn to Aussie rules and the academy. It has also taken off in lots more schools too. It feeds on itself.

The anti-authoritarian in me hates this. But the Swans fan in me loves it.

I very much want his nickname to be Cow :$
Surely Bull would be more appropriate?
Again, one would expect Dalrymple to be all over this. Maybe with our last pick?
Certainly has some size to him and we could use a bit of that.
Perhaps a bit dangerous to let him slide to the Rookie Draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Bull would be more appropriate?
Again, one would expect Dalrymple to be all over this. Maybe with our last pick?
Certainly has some size to him and we could use a bit of that.
Perhaps a bit dangerous to let him slide to the Rookie Draft.

Wouldn't we have the opportunity to match a bid? So he wouldn't slide to the rookie draft without us having the chance to grab him? And I'm guessing it would be a fairly easy bid to match if he's being talked about as a very late/rookie pick.

But I suppose the good thing about the academy is that when there's a kid who may not be worth taking in the draft and he ends up at a rival club, we can always hope they want to come back to Sydney down the road anyway. A go-home factor that works in our favour finally!

Wouldn't we have the opportunity to match a bid? So he wouldn't slide to the rookie draft without us having the chance to grab him? And I'm guessing it would be a fairly easy bid to match if he's being talked about as a very late/rookie pick.

But I suppose the good thing about the academy is that when there's a kid who may not be worth taking in the draft and he ends up at a rival club, we can always hope they want to come back to Sydney down the road anyway. A go-home factor that works in our favour finally!
Think you're right. Be ready to match but pick him up as a Cat B rookie.

Someone on Twitter put up a pretty good haul. Don't know their name so can't credit.
16 Goater (I would prefer Matt Johnson if available)
31 Van Rooyen (I prefer Bazzo)
39 Aleer (I prefer Warner)
Rookie Warner, Anderson
I prefer McCartin, Anderson (Cat B)
There's a certain romance in taking Corey with the same pick as Chad.
Of course we might try some bundling to move up or into next year.

Someone on Twitter put up a pretty good haul. Don't know their name so can't credit.
Rookie Warner, Anderson

Very, very doubtful shakes out like that.

Goater is a maybe to get to us and doubt JVR there at 31. Aleer is reasonable.

Could see us bundle picks 31 and 39 for pick i the 20s come draft night

This is something I have thought about a lot.
How many very good Victorians batman have played for Australia over the last 20 years? About 2
How many very good NSW batsman have played for Australia over the last 20 years. About 25

Why is that?

The Sydney grade competition is probably the strongest in the world at its level. One level below Shield.

My nephew who has excelled at cricket and aussie rules has chosen aussie rules.

Sydney cricket will decline across the whole of sydney because the best players will probably choose ausiie rules.

Why?

Look at a cricketer. Look at an AFL player. They are the same prototype. Tall. Skinny.

What are your prospects at AFL and what are your prospects at elite Australian cricket?

Lots of great AFL players have chosen aussie rules over cricket. Luke Hodge is one. But there are many.

I predict the decline of Australian cricket with the rise of AFL in NSW.

Last edited:
Rookie Warner, Anderson
I doubt we're going to go tall in this draft. May one tall. Bloke, but the rest will be mids.

IMO we're trading in a tall next year by hook or by crook.

Interested how he got into Aussie Rules, being from a rugby mad family (or is that just his mum)?
I probably didn't give this question the respect it deserved. I assume others know what I know. A fault of mine.

Private schools in Sydney Eastern suburbs historically were the bastion of rugby union. Rich private schools, backed by lots of brown paper bags enabled an "amateur's" competition to flourish. Very rich eastern suburbs money pumped into rugby union schools, clubs etc a very strong sustainable competition.

Public schools were very much rugby league. The game of the working class. But it was professional and players were paid not in paper bags mostly.

The two sides of the winter competition. Rugby vs Rugby League. Cricket was the summer competition.

Enter the AFL. The AFL was considered a joke by most. Me included growing up as a NSW kid.

With the advent of the Swans Academy it provided an elite pathway to the top competition.
With the drafting of Heeney and trading of Buddy the Swans became cool. IMO. Kids looked at that.

Schools started aussie rules sport and it is now cemented in Sydney schools both private and public.

Kids now grow up in schools with a choice of Rugby, League or AFL. I think the aspects of all three games are more appealing to kids that choose the AFL route.

I think it is the more appealing universal game to all prototypes and hence more kids.

Just my opinion.

My nephew made the cutoff for the U18 team for 2022.

However, there is another cutoff. There is a Preparation program when the players have to train to prepare for the Benchmark program.

Four week - Preparation program:

W1 - Oct 25 - 31

W2 - Nov 1 - 7

W3 - Nov 8 - 14

W4 - Nov 15 - 21

Four week - Benchmark program:

Wednesday local sessions: November 24, December 1, 8 and 15

Saturday Metro sessions: November 27, December 4, 11 and 18 (Moore Park)

Not all players will be selected for the final team for 2022.

My nephew made the cutoff for the U18 team for 2022.

However, there is another cutoff. There is a Preparation program when the players have to train to prepare for the Benchmark program.

Four week - Preparation program:

W1 - Oct 25 - 31

W2 - Nov 1 - 7

W3 - Nov 8 - 14

W4 - Nov 15 - 21

Four week - Benchmark program:

Wednesday local sessions: November 24, December 1, 8 and 15

Saturday Metro sessions: November 27, December 4, 11 and 18 (Moore Park)

Not all players will be selected for the final team for 2022.
Good luck to him and to all the boys. Commiserations to those who miss out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back