List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Picks part deux: 4/33/75

Pick4…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mac Andrew is the interesting one to see where he lands, hard to pick given he's a time project.
Feels like his selection will shape the draft.
GWS seem to be the most keen, but Fremantle might be willing to grab him with one of their picks as well.
If GWS are keen, it makes sense to trade down a bit, because I can't see anyone before Fremantle picking him.

I suspect that our chances of splitting pick 4 will come down to what GWS want to move down from the second live pick.

Richmond will make a significant play for the GWS pick and Callaghan, leaving us out. If GWS refuse to budge though and Richmond miss out, then they might just stay where they are and take one of the mids left.

I think it might end up something like this (ignoring bids):

1. NM: Jason Horne-Francis
2. Hawthorn: Finn Callaghan
3. GC: Josh Gibcus
4. Richmond: Ben Hobbs
5. GWS: Mac Andrew
6. Fremantle: Jye Amiss
7. Adelaide: Josh Rachele
8. Fremantle: Neil Erasmus
9. St. Kilda: Josh Ward
10. West Coast: Matthew Johnson
11. Essendon: Tyler Sonsie
12. Port Power: Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
13. GWS: Josh Sinn
14: Brisbane: Arlo Draper
15: Adelaide: Josh Goater

I think Hawthorn trumping Richmond for the GWS swap makes more sense as GWS at pick 5 guarantee they get Andrews. If they drop to pick 7, there is a chance Fremantle grab him first.
With Hobbs still on the board though, Richmond swapping with Adelaide also makes sense.
Port go Wangeneen-Milera to help their supporters forget the last two prelims.

At pick 15 we end up with either Draper or Goater. I'm ok with that :)
Goater or Sinn or Callaghan is what the Crows need. Love the look of Goater reminds me of a Brown low medallist from Freo

Last edited:
Goater or Sonsie or Callaghan is what the Crows need. Love the look of Goater

Goaters highlights are similar to Dangerfield .....plenty of run, carry, and flair .....and yes, also the kicking

Lots of development to go .....but gee the cast looks great

He doesn't happen to have a girlfriend that is the daughter of a local mayor in victoria per chance..if so, avoid ;)
Let's hope not .....in interviews he seems quite a mature kid for his age ....not the go home type IMO

He gives Nicks both speed, line breaking runs, and the flexibility he likes

Not sure what the problem is for us if we land the player/players we want whoever it may be?
Even if we use a pick four or five places earlier to get them?

I would be suspicious if we went really early on a player that other clubs didn't rate as high - though we'd probably never know if that's true.

I'm concerned about reports on Goater's footskills.

I would be suspicious if we went really early on a player that other clubs didn't rate as high - though we'd probably never know if that's true.

I have full faith in Hamish and his team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a WWTFC member, proud of what we have achieved over 30 years (missing finals 4 times) and still provide to the AFL.
Yes absolutely correct and full apologies to you and your good club for that oversight. I mentioned South because I have some knowledge of what’s going on down there and they do resource their juniors very well which is now starting to bear fruit

I did overlook the Eagles though and full credit to them. I can only assume they are also well resourced as they have been very impressive in getting hold of the old Wingfield Royals ground and spent some $$$ to make that a home for juniors and the girls too I think. So I’m told.

And I do know you’ve got a ripper down there in Jett Hastings - he’ll be a 2024 class and of course Adam Daloia will go next year for sure.

Roosters had a purple patch a few years ago but look to have fallen a bit behind the others.

You're privy to club ratings?
He's no Sam Mitchell by foot at this point but neither is Erasmus who some are also very keen on.
The few kicks he misses are generally those where he's burst from the pack at blinding pace similar to a bloke that resides down Moggs Creek way and his kicking most certainly doesn't lack penetration.
Even on that highlight reel one of his kicks was a ballistic low flying dart that spotted up his teammate.

His physical attributes along with his speed, agility, aerial prowess and versatility is really a vital need in our midfield so IMO he fits our needs to a tee.

The Calder Cannons coach former North Melbourne 200 gamer Ross Smith is no mug and he rates both Josh Goater and Zac Taylor very highly with regards to an AFL career.

You want a midfielder that is an exceptional kick you best go spot up another Calder Cannon Zac Taylor, a really underrated player but he's only around the 180cm which this board seems to think is a problem, don't think the same people had a problem with Sam Mitchell who played at around the same height?

You're privy to club ratings?
He's no Sam Mitchell by foot at this point but neither is Erasmus who some are also very keen on.
The few kicks he misses are generally those where he's burst from the pack at blinding pace similar to a bloke that resides down Moggs Creek way and his kicking most certainly doesn't lack penetration.
Even on that highlight reel one of his kicks was a ballistic low flying dart that spotted up his teammate.

His physical attributes along with his speed, agility, aerial prowess and versatility is really a vital need in our midfield so IMO he fits our needs to a tee.

The Calder Cannons coach former North Melbourne 200 gamer Ross Smith is no mug and he rates both Josh Goater and Zac Taylor very highly with regards to an AFL career.

You want a midfielder that is an exceptional kick you best go spot up another Calder Cannon Zac Taylor, a really underrated player but he's only around the 180cm which this board seems to think is a problem, don't think the same people had a problem with Sam Mitchell who played at around the same height?

So if we hold pick 4 and Callaghan is still on the board (I know some of us have misgivings about his flight risk - but taking that aside for the moment), who is more of a need for us - Goater or Callaghan and who in your watchings of these boys has the higher ceiling talentwise

So if we hold pick 4 and Callaghan is still on the board (I know some of us have misgivings about his flight risk - but taking that aside for the moment), who is more of a need for us - Goater or Callaghan and who in your watchings of these boys has the higher ceiling talentwise
I've made it quite clear with all things considered my clear preference is Josh Goater whether it's with our current #4 or if we split it into 2 i.e. <9 & <18. Of the 2 my feel is Goater is the more raw of the two but pips Callaghan for upside. I don't think Callaghan's going to be there to be an option anyhow given he appears to be the media's sweetheart.

I've made it quite clear with all things considered my clear preference is Josh Goater whether it's with our current #4 or if we split it into 2 i.e. <9 & <18. Of the 2 my feel is Goater is the more raw of the two but pips Callaghan for upside. I don't think Callaghan's going to be there to be an option anyhow given he appears to be the media's sweetheart.
Well the good news if the club feels the same is that Goater is an almost certainty to be there at pick 4 so should be ours

I'm not really excited by any of the prospects to be honest. Callaghan fits the profile but have only seen him play once and unlikely to be available. Outside of that for pick 4 there looks to be deficiencies.

Ward has skills but not a powerful mid.

Hobbs is strong inside but not sure if his skills and decision making for a player at 4.

Goater's kicking looks inconsistent. Ticks a lot other boxes though.

I wish I got to see some more of Erasmus. Reports are that his kicking is also inconsistent. The game I saw he looked classy with ball in hand.

Rachele looks to be a forward firstly. Speed and class in the forward line is obviously a need, but pick 4?

Not being able to see a lot of these players has probably contributed to this.

I'm not really excited by any of the prospects to be honest. Callaghan fits the profile but have only seen him play once and unlikely to be available. Outside of that for pick 4 there looks to be deficiencies.

Ward has skills but not a powerful mid.

Hobbs is strong inside but not sure if his skills and decision making for a player at 4.

Goater's kicking looks inconsistent. Ticks a lot other boxes though.

I wish I got to see some more of Erasmus. Reports are that his kicking is also inconsistent. The game I saw he looked classy with ball in hand.

Rachele looks to be a forward firstly. Speed and class in the forward line is obviously a need, but pick 4?

Not being able to see a lot of these players has probably contributed to this.
I think Rachele has shown enough contested football ability to suggest he has the versatility to play either end or midfield IMO.

Josh Sinn is another who has that explosiveness we're looking for to go with great skills and it really surprises me how far he seems to have dropped down the draft boards, wouldn't be pegging him as solely a running back either. I think if he had played more this year he'd be right up there near the top of draft boards. The only doubt I'd have on him is retention if we went with him.

Something about Rachele is making me really want him. Not sure if it is that X-Factor he has that we have just been missing for some while now. I know people are worried if he plays as a small forward but personally that is the glaring issue in our team. You would think and hope that he can shuffle Rowe and Murphy out of the team and just provide something completely different to them. If he can work his way to rotating through the midfield then that is a bonus but if he turns out anything like Toby Greene then he is pick 4 worthy IMO.

Hobbs is interesting because he is a bit of what we already have but if he turns out anything like a Selwood type then you probably wouldn't want to pass on him up. Goater could be anything really.

From the 2 minute highlight video above, I thought Goater’s kicking was fine for his role.

No Sam Mitchell 50m tracer bullets off either foot.

But also no Tim Taranto head down throw it on the boot and as long as it goes forward who cares.

It seemed like after winning a clearance Goater typically had his head up and attempted to find a team mate. Not so bad. I reckon kicking technique would be much more likely to improve than awareness.

Back