kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Even if we use a pick four or five places earlier to get them?

I would be suspicious if we went really early on a player that other clubs didn't rate as high - though we'd probably never know if that's true.

I'm concerned about reports on Goater's footskills.
From the 2 minute highlight video above, I thought Goater’s kicking was fine for his role.

No Sam Mitchell 50m tracer bullets off either foot.

But also no Tim Taranto head down throw it on the boot and as long as it goes forward who cares.

It seemed like after winning a clearance Goater typically had his head up and attempted to find a team mate. Not so bad. I reckon kicking technique would be much more likely to improve than awareness.

Oct 9, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
So who do we think the Tigers are making a play for with the pick swap they made with Collingwood today? It seems that they are positioning themselves to trade-up on draft night.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
So who do we think the Tigers are making a play for with the pick swap they made with Collingwood today? It seems that they are positioning themselves to trade-up on draft night.
Pick 1 or 2 I'd say. They have a LOT to throw at it. Don't think they will get pick 1 (although an offer of 7, 15 next years 1st and some later swaps would be VERY hard to turn down). Could be very tempting to GWS though.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Pick 1 or 2 I'd say. They have a LOT to throw at it. Don't think they will get pick 1 (although an offer of 7, 15 next years 1st and some later swaps would be VERY hard to turn down). Could be very tempting to GWS though.
Possibly Ben Hobbs given he's been linked with them by multiple media sources and also helpful he's a Tigers supporter.

Maybe us that they'll coming knocking but somehow I doubt #15 will be part of the offer.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Possibly Ben Hobbs given he's been linked with them by multiple media sources and also helpful he's a Tigers supporter.

Maybe us that they'll coming knocking but somehow I doubt #15 will be part of the offer.
If we wanted Goater for example and were pretty sure he would be there at pick 7, then why not trade 4 for 7 and 2 x Richmonds 2nd rounders. Then look to either trade again using some 2nds to get higher on the night if there is a player we want or try and trade them out into next year

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If we wanted Goater for example and were pretty sure he would be there at pick 7, then why not trade 4 for 7 and 2 x Richmonds 2nd rounders. Then look to either trade again using some 2nds to get higher on the night if there is a player we want or try and trade them out into next year
Pick #15 is the sweet spot IMO and I doubt they're giving that up, pick 26, 27or 28 is starting to get deep in the 2nd round unless you can then trade up the order using both remembering we already have #33 for a slider or Kai Lohmann :cool:

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers

Problem is we don't really need any more of their picks though. If it isn't 15, then it would need to be 7 + 2 picks in the 20's. We won't use both. Maybe we could trade one for a future 2nd though?

I'd rather let them do the heavy lifting and trade their two second rounders for a pick in the teens first.

Oct 9, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Many journos and BF posters keep mentioning that Hobbs is the player that they after and therefore a trade with us would potentially make sense. The move they made today seems to open-up many options for them though. They could offer a great combination of picks to GWS for pick 2, they could offer 7 and a range of picks to us for 4 (agree that 15 might not be offered though) or they could make a variety of draft night trades based on who is available. My gut feel is they are going for Callaghan though.

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Pick #15 is the sweet spot IMO and I doubt they're giving that up, pick 26, 27or 28 is starting to get deep in the 2nd round unless you can then trade up the order using both remembering we already have #33 for a slider or Kai Lohmann :cool:

You’ve likely answered this but who would you prefer out of Lohmann and Murley?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Problem is we don't really need any more of their picks though. If it isn't 15, then it would need to be 7 + 2 picks in the 20's. We won't use both. Maybe we could trade one for a future 2nd though?
The 2 pick's in the mid - late 20's could also be used to trade up into the 1st round also if there's a willing club not targeting a specific player but the Tigers would also be well aware of that. Looks to me like the Tigers are going a full on replenishment of their list this season though?

conVINCEd

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows

How are Collingwood holding 8/9 open list spaces to actually use these picks?

Or is it another ‘Geelong rule’ that doesn’t actually apply to Vic clubs.

How are Collingwood holding 8/9 open list spaces to actually use these picks?

Or is it another ‘Geelong rule’ that doesn’t actually apply to Vic clubs.

They only have 7 meaningful picks (lower than 60). Six of those to be used on Daicos if a bid comes at #1, four or five if a bid comes at #2

Looks like they have 4 list spots and a couple of out of contract players, could easily have the 6 required by the looks, then take some back end picks, leave list spots open for DFA or SSP, or upgrade rookies

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
They only have 7 meaningful picks (lower than 60). Six of those to be used on Daicos if a bid comes at #1, four or five if a bid comes at #2

Looks like they have 4 list spots and a couple of out of contract players, could easily have the 6 required by the looks, then take some back end picks, leave list spots open for DFA or SSP, or upgrade rookies
They can only take as many draft picks into the draft, as they have senior list vacancies. Note that the ability to vary the list structure (36/6, 375, or 38/4) means that they could also count 2 rookie list vacancies in the total as well.

According to the AFL website, they've currently lost the following players: Chugg, Greenwood, Lynch, Mayne, Rantall, Sier, Thomas, Tohill. They gained Krueger & Lapinski. That's a net loss of 6 players.

By my maths, that means they are able to take 6 draft picks into the ND. That will be Daicos, and a lot of player selected at the back end of the draft.

They can only take as many draft picks into the draft, as they have senior list vacancies. Note that the ability to vary the list structure (36/6, 375, or 38/4) means that they could also count 2 rookie list vacancies in the total as well.

According to the AFL website, they've currently lost the following players: Chugg, Greenwood, Lynch, Mayne, Rantall, Sier, Thomas, Tohill. They gained Krueger & Lapinski. That's a net loss of 6 players.

By my maths, that means they are able to take 6 draft picks into the ND. That will be Daicos, and a lot of player selected at the back end of the draft.
Yeah they'll have that 7th meaningful pick if they delist a guy like Mason Cox

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Collingwood hadn't traded their pick to GWS, and had pick 2, do you think they'd be nervous about North taking Daicos at pick 1? Would North be so deliberate about their intentions of JHF as pick 1?
They'd be in Very Happyland! If North bid on Daicos, they'd be able to pick who they liked out of Daicos or Horne. If North don't bid, they'd be able to take Callaghan, say, and then match any Daicos bid later ... they'd be delirious.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Not a bad draft to be taking late picks with some of the clubs out early on.....Of course dependent on your recruiting team having a keen eye for talent and assessing projected upside.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Agree, class yes, but I don't really see x-factor either.

Goater = x-factor.
Hobbs, Ward, Rachele, Darcy .....all potential good players, but X-Faactor ? .....a hugely overused term ...like superstar also is

Callaghan, Andrew, Goater have some real X-Factor

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hobbs, Ward, Rachele, Darcy .....all potential good players, but X-Faactor ? .....a hugely overused term ...like superstar also is

Callaghan, Andrew, Goater have some real X-Factor
I guess X-Factor is in the eyes of the beholder.

Ben Waterworth. AFL Media
It’s understood Adelaide is keeping tabs on Murray Bushrangers’ Josh Rachele – an electric, uber-talented forward-midfielder at 180cm blessed with goalkicking nous and x-factor. Clubs have been impressed with how Rachele has interviewed, too.

Draft Central
DRAFT PROJECTION:
6-12

SUMMARY:

Rachele is a player who, at his best, has top five potential. As the leading small forward in this year’s cohort, his stocks will be boosted even further and he will likely tempt clubs inside the top 10. Work rate and consistency are essential in the modern game, but can easily be developed in an elite environment. Rachele will be drafted based on what he does so well, and there are plenty of traits which fans will quickly come to enjoy. He’s a bums-on-seat type of talent, and one capable of pulling off what others simply cannot.

Inner Sanctum
7. Josh Rachele
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country | Forward/Midfielder

11/04/2003 | 180cm | 78kg

NAB League: 4 games | 18.5 disp | 2.7 goals

Rachele is unique in his highlight-reel play combined with best-in-class leadership. The powerful small-medium forward plays above his height with gravity-defying aerial exploits, and weaves his way through trouble with ball in hand to snap freakish goals. He also pushes through the midfield and bursts through packs with serious power. All of that makes him a bonafide top pick, but what solidifies it is his huge character and clubman attitude. He is as likely as anyone in this pool to captain an AFL team.

Best traits similar to: Toby Greene

Cal Twomey
Josh Rachele
Forward/midfielder
180cm/78kg
11/4/03
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

Rachele is the best pure small forward in this year's draft, but has also proved he can go into the midfield and make things happen around him. The Murray Bushrangers prospect is an exciting attacking option who reads the ball well in the air, goes for his marks and also can stay on the ground and take the crumbs. He likes kicking goals and there's perhaps a bit of Western Bulldogs youngster Cody Weightman in the way he can do things usually not expected of the smaller types. He kicked six goals in a game for the Bushrangers this year in his best NAB League outing.

Dan Batten Herald Sun
13. Josh Rachele (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
Forward/midfielder, 180cm, 78kg

An explosive and dangerous forward/midfielder, Rachele produces magic in the forward 50 with his ability to kick goals from all angles. Likened to Giants dynamo Toby Greene, Rachele performed strongly in the Victorian trial and Challenge matches for Vic Country and kicked six goals in his final NAB League game of the season.

Dan says: Rachele’s highlights reel is going to be something to behold. His midfield traits – which he showcased in taking out the Kevin Sheehan Medal as MVP at the U16 carnival – can’t be forgotten, either. Rate him as a top-ten choice.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I guess X-Factor is in the eyes of the beholder.

Ben Waterworth.
It’s understood Adelaide is keeping tabs on Murray Bushrangers’ Josh Rachele – an electric, uber-talented forward-midfielder at 180cm blessed with goalkicking nous and x-factor. Clubs have been impressed with how Rachele has interviewed, too.

Draft Central
DRAFT PROJECTION: 6-12

SUMMARY:

Rachele is a player who, at his best, has top five potential. As the leading small forward in this year’s cohort, his stocks will be boosted even further and he will likely tempt clubs inside the top 10. Work rate and consistency are essential in the modern game, but can easily be developed in an elite environment. Rachele will be drafted based on what he does so well, and there are plenty of traits which fans will quickly come to enjoy. He’s a bums-on-seat type of talent, and one capable of pulling off what others simply cannot.

Inner Sanctum
7. Josh Rachele
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country | Forward/Midfielder

11/04/2003 | 180cm | 78kg

NAB League: 4 games | 18.5 disp | 2.7 goals

Rachele is unique in his highlight-reel play combined with best-in-class leadership. The powerful small-medium forward plays above his height with gravity-defying aerial exploits, and weaves his way through trouble with ball in hand to snap freakish goals. He also pushes through the midfield and bursts through packs with serious power. All of that makes him a bonafide top pick, but what solidifies it is his huge character and clubman attitude. He is as likely as anyone in this pool to captain an AFL team.

Best traits similar to: Toby Greene

Cal Twomey
Josh Rachele
Forward/midfielder
180cm/78kg
11/4/03
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

Rachele is the best pure small forward in this year's draft, but has also proved he can go into the midfield and make things happen around him. The Murray Bushrangers prospect is an exciting attacking option who reads the ball well in the air, goes for his marks and also can stay on the ground and take the crumbs. He likes kicking goals and there's perhaps a bit of Western Bulldogs youngster Cody Weightman in the way he can do things usually not expected of the smaller types. He kicked six goals in a game for the Bushrangers this year in his best NAB League outing.

Dan Batten Herald Sun
13. Josh Rachele (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
Forward/midfielder, 180cm, 78kg

An explosive and dangerous forward/midfielder, Rachele produces magic in the forward 50 with his ability to kick goals from all angles. Likened to Giants dynamo Toby Greene, Rachele performed strongly in the Victorian trial and Challenge matches for Vic Country and kicked six goals in his final NAB League game of the season.

Dan says: Rachele’s highlights reel is going to be something to behold. His midfield traits – which he showcased in taking out the Kevin Sheehan Medal as MVP at the U16 carnival – can’t be forgotten, either. Rate him as a top-ten choice.
So everything I read here - they are essentially describing a young Robbie Gray

Back