List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Maybe sit Petch down over the off-season and get him to watch tapes of Langdon at Melbourne- no reason we couldn’t use him in the same way with his pace
Or show him footage of his good games, and tell him to do it more often.

He needs to learn to run equally hard both ways. He's lightning quick and should be tackling way more than he does (could say that about most of our players).

He has a tendency to run himself out of contests too often, because he always seems to be looking for a handball receive to put him in open grass (if you're that quick it makes sense to think like that). He needs to strike a better balance here and be smarter.

What a waste of a first round pick.

I won't even vent what I really think about this massive utensil up.

Needless to say disappointment and dissatisfaction with our recruiting and development team are prevalent thoughts.
This is the 1st stage of grief . We are all feeling

Do you think they will look at Petch on a wing? Unless we get major injuries I can't see Petch getting a game as a small forward. Ryan, Rioli, Cripps, SPS and a resting TK or Shuey are all ahead of him. Jones probably ahead also. Still not sure why we signed Petch for 3 years.

I think he's close to a lock if fit.

We'll play at least 7 forwards - Rioli, Cripps, Ryan, JK, Darling, Allen. I'd say he'll get the 7th spot ahead of Waterman.

Then we'll likely play SPS, Kelly, Shuey etc as the 'extra mid' meaning we select 7 forwards, 7 backs, and 8 mids. (Shuey, Yeo, Redden, Kelly, Gaff, NN, Sheed then probably SPS).

Backup ruck is still a major issue though. I think they absolutely have to use one of the existing players rather than shoehorn Williams in (he'd take the spot of Petch, Waterman or SPS - and TBH on output each of them deserves to get a game well ahead of Williams).

Given this I’m surprised there’s been little discussion here about ‘re-purposing’ existing players. Should we start the year assuming all players go around again in their existing positions?

For example, I think HEdwards would strengthen our backline given Gov and TB both tend to be intercept players (and chaos teams tend to simply bypass them.) But then can we have all three plus Rotham in the backline? Or can we use TB or Gov elsewhere?

Or Jones to midfield maybe? Or ????

Or can we trim down or bulk up players for a different role? (But given our lack of pace in an increasingly fast game maybe we may need less bulk and more pace generally.)

Etc etc

We should explore options over the summer to use Rotham’s pace ..

He didn't get a single bite because our CEO pretty much publicly said we don't rate nor want him. Why would any club trade for him when they can just wait and sign him for free when he is delisted? We have botched every part of his career from drafting to development to delisting.

you should be just as angry at the player for not having a dip, can’t blame the club for everything. Ultimately you’re responsible for you’re own performance.

life goes on, no player is bigger than the club, certainly not brander

Brander's development aside, the guy has zero killer instinct. It's doubtful that he'll be a successful AFL player wherever he ends up. Nonetheless good luck to him in his future endeavours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyde Woodcock delisted from Port, 21 yrs old, nippy hff, nice step and runs crazy subtle angles.

Looks promising and cut by a contender. From highlights he would make a handy Langdon replacement, nice legs with the added bonus of being a pretty good kick on goal from 40 +.

Free hit option for last rookie spot.

He was drafted as a key position player and we’ve never seen him played as one. Why even draft him if you don’t even need one?

looking forward to the melt when our first pick is a key forward.

You'd think so but WCE have an unwarranted hard on for petch.

I just dont see it. Only has speed, no poise.

Petch has speed and hurt factor when he plays well. He just needs to get more consistent and his body stronger to string more games together. Every season he has improved some aspects of his game, with a couple of nasty hamstring injuries plus covid to deal with.

Jones is much better closer to goal in a pressure forward role. Cripps is much more a high half forward spending most of his time up the ground. Maybe SPS can take Cripps high KMs / repeat sprint role but I doubt it is the best role for anyone you have listed. I really rate Jones, but he's not like for like for Cripps at all in my opinion. It's like saying Rotham with push Barass out as they are both tall defenders.

Agreed - which is why I was only saying Cripps should be dropped if Shuey is moved to HF (with stints in the middle) for longevity sake, in that case then I think Cripps is out of the 22.
Otherwise was just saying that Jones is ahead of Petch as a small forward.

But even so - Cripps had some epic games last season, but played more stinkers than good games.
He used to put a lot more pressure on the opposition and now is just in that blase Gaff/Sheed category of players who statistically do a lot of KMs during a game.
I think KMs covered needs to F right off with out current team as a metric. All I think of is a KM-covering Sheed with his jog around the ground and that indifferent look on his face.

We are in desparate need of players who will take the game on, and run, chase at high intensity speed back the other way defensively.
Unless Cripps can get hungry again he may well just be one of the premiership veterans that need to make way for players who have less ability than them but who are hungry and want it more.

Do you think they will look at Petch on a wing?

Doubt it - he really does pick and choose when to use that speed he has.
Without the ability to use it all game small forward seems to be the best position to use that dynamic gift.
But yeah I'm with you - I want to see it used more.

He was drafted as a key position player and we’ve never seen him played as one. Why even draft him if you don’t even need one?

I have so leave out the we - it was embarrasing at AFL and WAFL level. On the wing he is softer than Masten. There is a hint than he will never be a key position player, such as the much malined by some KD and JK taking continuous beltings to present a contest and fattie doing the same and playing with fractured ribs.

To be fair, he was the highest rated tall on our recruiters board (1 spot ahead of Allen) so they took him. And then took Allen because he was too good to pass up (a decision which has proven to be correct).

He came into the club as a highly rated forward (or back) but it was pretty quickly evident that Allen was ahead of him. We had no need for a 5th banana tall forward (especially when the 2 ruck policy was in it's prime) - hence they changed the development path for him.

Now, none of that explains why he wasn't tried down back, or traded to Geelong or another team when he held value - but on actually drafting him I think it made sense (I, along with most posters, was more upset about taking Allen than taking Brander on the night - so I'm happy to admit I got that wrong).

We drafted 2xKPP incase one failed. one did. it was Brander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back