List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Never saw what others did in him as a midfielder/winger.

Felt 2nd/3rd tall fwd was his role and he should've been left to develop in the WAFL till a spot became available, rather than being shoehorned into the team in a role that doesn't suit.

Will follow with intrigue of he gets picked up elsewhere (and what role he plays)....but tbh kinda glad it's over here

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
A failure on all club, player and his management.

The Club
I dont blame the club in recruiting him, was an 'elite' CHF as a junior and possible no 1 pick at one stage. They would have earmarked him as a long term replacement for kennedy/darling. No one would have thought kennedy would have been playing this well and still the no.1 forward at our club at 33/34.
Had kennedy retired in 2019 or 2020 as assumed by list management, it would have provided a clear spot in the forward line for brander to develop his craft as a forward.

The fact there was no spot for him in forward and defense, we then tried to fit a square peg into a round hole playing him off a wing when we could have used him as part of a trade for kelly.

The Player
Should have realised he couldnt crack it as a forward/defender in this team and took the opportunity to be traded to another club when there was a chance.
Always seemed a bit timid in the contest too.

Player Management
Poorly advised brander IMO.

In the games i watched of him in the WAFL where he racked up heaps of the ball was not that impressive. He would be down back a bit getting the ball and then instead of taking it on he would look to just handball it off or kick backwards.

Compared to say Waterman who when he plays in the WAFL he plays like he is a step above.

I have it on good authority that Waterman is a talentless hack.

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Gday fella's - Is this kid a guy who you think has the juice to make it? Seems like he could be victim of being recruited with no real role for him to fill - but i also think the Eagles are a bloody well run organisation who rarely let guys go unless they are not up to scratch.

Tiger fan here. -obviously with Chol, CCJ, Astbury, Houli & Garthwaite all heading out - out back & forward stocks are a pretty lean. I am always enchanted with these 196cm gazelle types -ie Richo on the wing, Kouta etc.

Does this kid have that juice in him, or is he fools gold?

While i am here - how ******* bad was the rest of the season after our last game? WTF happened there??

Get_The_Gaff

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Gday fella's - Is this kid a guy who you think has the juice to make it? Seems like he could be victim of being recruited with no real role for him to fill - but i also think the Eagles are a bloody well run organisation who rarely let guys go unless they are not up to scratch.

Tiger fan here. -obviously with Chol, CCJ, Astbury, Houli & Garthwaite all heading out - out back & forward stocks are a pretty lean. I am always enchanted with these 196cm gazelle types -ie Richo on the wing, Kouta etc.

While i am here - how ******* bad was the rest of the season after our last game? WTF happened there??
Yep we both sucked after the bye that's for sure . The man on the mark rule killed any team who played the old style zone defence like our teams .

Anyway brander is tall fast and has some of the best ground ball skills especially in the wet for a big guy . He has a pentrating kick and this year he really found his accuracy often opening the game up kicking into the corridor.

He is also a massive pussy who is afraid of contact and has squibbed multiple contests .

He is like the cowardly lion on wizard of Oz. If you can find him courage he may come good otherwise like us you have a 6'5" soft flanker who can't rack up the ball

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep we both sucked after the bye that's for sure . The man on the mark rule killed any team who played the old style zone defence like our teams .

Anyway brander is tall fast and has some of the best ground ball skills especially in the wet for a big guy . He has a pentrating kick and this year he really found his accuracy often opening the game up kicking into the corridor.

He is also a massive pussy who is afraid of contact and has squibbed multiple contests .

He is like the cowardly lion on wizard of Oz. If you can find him courage he may come good otherwise like us you have a 6'5" soft flanker who can't rack up the ball

It all sounded wonderful till i saw he is a contender for the next series of "Squibb Games" - that is pretty much a no-no in our gameplan, much like yours.

Yeah the stand the mark rule was a joke - basically reset the comp and the game as a whole. AFL should be ashamed of themselves to honest, borderline tampering

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
A failure on all club, player and his management.

The Club
I dont blame the club in recruiting him, was an 'elite' CHF as a junior and possible no 1 pick at one stage. They would have earmarked him as a long term replacement for kennedy/darling. No one would have thought kennedy would have been playing this well and still the no.1 forward at our club at 33/34.
Had kennedy retired in 2019 or 2020 as assumed by list management, it would have provided a clear spot in the forward line for brander to develop his craft as a forward.

The fact there was no spot for him in forward and defense, we then tried to fit a square peg into a round hole playing him off a wing when we could have used him as part of a trade for kelly.

The Player
Should have realised he couldnt crack it as a forward/defender in this team and took the opportunity to be traded to another club when there was a chance.
Always seemed a bit timid in the contest too.

Player Management
Poorly advised brander IMO.

Absolutely spot on about how we should have bundled him in the Kelly deal. I think his high draft position and athleticism bewitched the club and some supporters into thinking he was better than what he showed. Good luck to him elsewhere but I'm not sure what he offers; he's key position size but plays small and his skills and game sense are not those a less physical player requires to make it at AFL level.

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams

Richo demanded the ball and sulked when didn't get it. Brander just floats around and either by design or not played more of decoy role. Pass would be my advice.

RJKTiger

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Richo demanded the ball and sulked when didn't get it. Brander just floats around and either by design or not played more of decoy role. Pass would be my advice.

LOVE your avatar BTW - been to Japan 5 times and everytime will go see a game of baseball in a different city - Hiroshima Carp is BY FAR the best experience of the lot. They have a very special bond with that team, especially after what happened in '45. My biggest travelling regret was i didn't by a Carp jersey that day

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
LOVE your avatar BTW - been to Japan 5 times and everytime will go see a game of baseball in a different city - Hiroshima Carp is BY FAR the best experience of the lot. They have a very special bond with that team, especially after what happened in '45. My biggest travelling regret was i didn't by a Carp jersey that day

Gotta love a team with a carp as its logo. Till recently went to Japan twice a year. Living here in Perth in Covid free splendour but will be on the first flight to 日本 when things open up over here.

My two favourite caps;

IMG_20211018_171732.jpg

gsmiths_s

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2010
Kensington
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Houston Rockets
I just think Jarrod is one of those guys that shows how much professional sport is in the head. Seemed to have the right attributes, athletic utility, decent hands. Hence his high draft pick, but just lacked something to demand selection. His main competition for a spot forward was Allen, Waterman and he wasn't pushing them out. Down back Edwards and his doppelganger just looked more assured.

Now for all those speculating with hindsight that Kelly was the pick, are forgetting that the role he made his own in Geelong's system wasn't (and still isn't here) at West Coast. A midfielder who drifts forward? What's that? Would Kelly (real sliding doors) have made it in West Coasts system?

I mean, I wish we picked Simon Black instead of Jaxon Crabb (12), Callum Chambers (13) and Rowan Jones* (28). However we didn't and who knows if he would have thrived in the last few years of Malthouse and (shudder) the Ken Judge years. Black might have been a bust at West Coast.

Hopefully Jarrod gets clear run elsewhere as a third tall down back (ala Liam Jones), but I think he needs a Ted Lasso style coach to give him belief. Plus if he was pick 26 in instead of pick 13 would anyone be so upset? High pick, didn't work out, move on. I mean Matthew Ling was drafted by Sydney at 14 same draft. Delisted.

* he did his job as a tagger in 2006 but boy I hated seeing him kick.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes

He is an enigma , most of us would still want him on our list but we dont know why he isnt . Brander is going to come good he would have been useful like Ahchee was for us . He probably misses Mum and family to help iron out his down days , who knows . If he gets to an afl team over east he will make it .

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
He is an enigma , most of us would still want him on our list but we dont know why he isnt
Going off interview's he has basically delisted himself. No club wanted to trade for him and he didnt want to re-sign with WCE. He wants to play as a third tall forward but he wont get that opportunity here with JK going around again and Waterman, Williams etc.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Going off interview's he has basically delisted himself. No club wanted to trade for him and he didnt want to re-sign with WCE. He wants to play as a third tall forward but he wont get that opportunity here with JK going around again and Waterman, Williams etc.
Exactly. A club or two probably said they would rookie him but not cough up any picks because he was uncontracted and so he probably asked the club not to re-sign him. We don’t want to guarantee him time as a tall forward and they don’t see eye to eye, so we move on.

It’s possible his average kicking for goal was because of nerves. But it’s shaky goal kicking combined with shaky contested marking. He could make it as a forward but it’d have to be trialled at WAFL level for a year first, and he wouldn’t like that.

Back