Past #34: Charlie Ham - picked at #16 in '21 MSD - delisted end '21 - thanks Charlie

its called churn, you really have to keep moving potentual players through the system,
I mean if Tom ******* lynch takes a spot over ham that would be disappointing because we couldn’t manage a soft cap reduction

Some staff should take 80k Less in total between them fit lynch in soft cap ham stays

Handsome.B.Wonderful

Premiership Player
Jan 13, 2006
Bigfooty
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What’s the point in selecting him in the first place, seriously. Just wasting the kids time.

We selected him as a speculative MSD pick and got a very close look at him for 6 months.

It didn't work out for Charlie which is unfortunate, but I doubt he thinks it was a waste of time, we gave him a shot and he knows a lot more about what he needs to do to make the grade now.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not bagging our club, because we're just playing by the rules, but seriously, this MSD system stinks and the union should do something about it. How can a player prove themselves without even a single pre-season to prepare for AFL footy? MSD contracts should be for 18 months, to bring them into alignment with the 2 years given to draftees in the previous year's draft. Outrageous what's been done to this kid, and the union should be ashamed of itself

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We selected him as a speculative MSD pick and got a very close look at him for 6 months.

It didn't work out for Charlie which is unfortunate, but I doubt he thinks it was a waste of time, we gave him a shot and he knows a lot more about what he needs to do to make the grade now.

4 months actually.

And how many games?

Either the decision to pick him up was flawed, or the decision to delist him was flawed. Has to be one. He hasn't gone backwards in that 4 months...

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Actually 4.5 months since the draft, with Ham being contracted to training/playing obligations for less than 3 months of that time.

We got a look for sub 3 months and delisted him.

I say again, either picking him was a huge mistake or delisting him is. The mid season draft is an opportunity to get in talent from the state leagues, not just a list spot to piss away for 3 ******* months.

hammer3

Debutant
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Poor Charlie, deserved a better crack at it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Meh, Melbourne desisted the bloke they got in the mid season draft today too.

It's tough on the kid, but it's not a massive list management stuff up.
Melbourne won the flag and had no injuries all year. Understand that one. We are bottom of the ladder and wasted 4 months of development into a guy who we didn’t see in the long term. When will the recruiters be held accountable? Waste of everyone’s time.

Feel bad for him but realistically he's initially been overlooked in his draft then the rookie draft.

Good luck to him with his footy next year.

May 24, 2011
Richmond
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is bad luck for Charlie, i Would think after watching him for the time he was at the club they don’t think he can add value to the list, I would prefer they did it now and not waste his time.

May 17, 2009
Melbourne , Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Melbourne won the flag and had no injuries all year. Understand that one. We are bottom of the ladder and wasted 4 months of development into a guy who we didn’t see in the long term. When will the recruiters be held accountable? Waste of everyone’s time.

It was a free hit. Your chances of finding some hidden gem in the second round of a mid season draft is very low. Nothing has been lost for either party really, we got a look and didn’t think he warranted a list spot, he got to train in an elite environment and taste vfl footy. He would of barely played any footy at all if he didn’t get picked up as nab league didn’t go ahead.

It is bad luck for Charlie, i Would think after watching him for the time he was at the club they don’t think he can add value to the list, I would prefer they did it now and not waste his time.
I can understand that. But it also does not reflect well on the recruiting for the MSD when it was a chance to pick for the future.
A bad decision has been made either way.

May 17, 2009
Melbourne , Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I can understand that. But it also does not reflect well on the recruiting for the MSD when it was a chance to pick for the future.
A bad decision has been made either way.

You are picking from “scraps” that weren’t picked in their original draft years. We weren’t going to take a middle age state league player at this stage in our build. I’m struggling to see how this reflects poorly on the recruiting team. We took a free swing, and it didn’t work and we move on.

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was a free hit. Your chances of finding some hidden gem in the second round of a mid season draft is very low. Nothing has been lost for either party really, we got a look and didn’t think he warranted a list spot, he got to train in an elite environment and taste vfl footy. He would of barely played any footy at all if he didn’t get picked up as nab league didn’t go ahead.
If we could pick up Jacob Edwards as a long term prospect in the mid season draft, why couldn’t we have done that in the second round? It was a waste of everyone’s time delisting him. What VFL footy experience?

You are picking from “scraps” that weren’t picked in their original draft years. We weren’t going to take a middle age state league player at this stage in our build. I’m struggling to see how this reflects poorly on the recruiting team.
We stated we were picking kids for the future, not instant top up players. Would hope, that if this was the case, they had selected someone who would fit this bill fore longer than a disjointed half season.
Guess the proof will be in the pudding of others who were not picked up.

BlueRoos

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2007
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we could pick up Jacob Edwards as a long term prospect in the mid season draft, why couldn’t we have done that in the second round? It was a waste of everyone’s time delisting him. What VFL footy experience?
How do you know if Jacob Edwards will be any good? It is purely speculative at this stage of his career.

I can't help but laugh at the hand wringing on here over pick 16 in the rookie draft. With Covid ripping the guts out of junior footy in Vic, you are going to see plenty of draft busts and gems in the next season or two with evaluation made that much more difficult.

Last edited:
Back