Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomthoughts

All Australian
May 1, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tom Campbell Soup could be a viable back up ruck

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Slightly off topic, Tom Campbell delisted by North...

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was against trading for Coles Brander but picking him up as delisted free agent I don’t mind.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My unofficial phantom Dogs team had a near perfect unofficial phantom draft.

Dogs with a very tall draft crop this year.

Sam Darcy - we know him, we love him. Beanpole who won't make an impact for a year or two, needs a swimming pool of protein shakes and some time with Aaron Naughton in the weights room, but he could be anything. Most of us hope he'll settle in the back line and give a ruck chop out.

Toby Conway - the Dogs have three rucks. One is 35 and his legs are threatening to fall off, one has played five games and only knows what a "tank" is in terms of video games, and one is Tim English. Having a talented young ruck developing in reserve would be a godsend.

Charlie Dean - stoked that this guy slipped to my third pick. Our CHB is Ryan Gardner, who's a solid battler and tries his guts out, but we don't have much depth in this area. Dean is AFL-ready and I reckon could slot right in to our best 22.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Recruiting delisted players happens every year. But recruiting your own delisted player? Is that like saying we made a mistake?

I was always of the opinion BTC just needed to work on his tank. He was slower than a really slow thing..... But given we have no depth or ruck options - he can actually ruck... He just still cant run....

Straight after his best ever season. Now that is cruel.

He did look reasonable at times, but it's a cruel game....

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

OK, so the rule about only taking as many picks to the draft as available list spots was only temporary for last year. The article confirmed the rule (assuming the article is correct).

That means with Jong, Lipinski, Young, Cavarra and Hayes moving off the list we have 5 open slots.

We signed O'Brien and I guess we will use pick 93 to upgrade Roarke to the main list. That leaves only 3 main list spots but we have 5 picks 23, 43, 44, 45 and 52.

So, we may need to trade picks out of this year and retain enough points to cover Darcy. Unless I am mistaken everyone else has signed therefore no-one else will be delisted. If we trade out picks 45 and 52 (so that we only take 3 picks to the draft), then we will only have (picks 23, 43 and 44) 1555 points which is only enough to cover a bid at pick 5. Sam Power has mentioned protecting next year's first pick so I assume we are not going into deficit. So either we know the bid will only come at 5 through discussions with other list managers, or an alternative is that to take 4 or 5 picks to the draft will mean that Martin will have to be put onto the rookie list and possibly Duryea or someone else to cover an earlier bid.

Trading only pick 52 out will leave us with 1902 points which is enough to match a bid at pick 3 with only Martin going to the rookie list. If Horne-Francis is at 1 and Daicos at 2, then we are ok.

Any way you look at it unless something unusual happens, we will get Darcy, and some late speculative picks / rookies or a DFA.

Playing our entire draft hand one 1 player 2 years in a row has consequences. I am not saying we shouldn't do it, just that we need to plan to play a full draft hand next year.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies

OK, so the rule about only taking as many picks to the draft as available list spots was only temporary for last year. The article confirmed the rule (assuming the article is correct).

That means with Jong, Lipinski, Young, Cavarra and Hayes moving off the list we have 5 open slots.

We signed O'Brien and I guess we will use pick 93 to upgrade Roarke to the main list. That leaves only 3 main list spots but we have 5 picks 23, 43, 44, 45 and 52. We will have to trade 2 picks into next year or lose them.

So, we have to trade picks out of this year and retain enough points to cover Darcy. Unless I am mistaken everyone else has signed therefore no-one else will be delisted. If we trade out picks 45 and 52 (so that we only take 3 picks to the draft), then we will only have (picks 23, 43 and 44) 1555 points which is only enough to cover a bid at pick 5. Sam Power has mentioned protecting next year's first pick so I assume we are not going into deficit. So either we know the bid will only come at 5 through discussions with other list managers, or we are going to have to do something unexpected. Trading 23 for multiple picks doesn't work as will get more points but in exchange for multiple picks which we can't have in this year's draft.

Or have I missed something?

I believe rookies don't get upgraded until draft night so we'll have 4 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back