List Mgmt. OOC 2021, who is playing for their careers 2021 edition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Archie - firstly I am sad your brother committed suicide. My condolences to you and your family . When I read what you wrote I just wanted to say props to you Archie. Well spoken and beautifully said. Wow. Here‘s hoping the future only brings good things to you and your family, and remember one thing a lion will always be a lion.

You have a heart of lion.Thank you.

Quote Archie -‘He shared his story with AFL.com.au, outlining how his brother's death drove him in every aspect of his life.

"There’s a whole big world outside the footy bubble and I’m excited to see what that holds for my family and I," he said.

"I’ll always be a proud Lion."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/678983/...-lion-ruckman-retires-after-eight-year-career

You might not have made it as a ruckman Archie, but you have as a person.

Any chance the club just pays out CEY’s contract and delists him? His coin is in the cap anyways. Keep Joyce instead?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Joyce would be very cheap, and could be rookie listed allowing and even cheaper wage yeah?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We would need another rookie list spot, that we currently don’t have.

As it is, we’re going to have to delist a contracted player and redraft them in the rookie draft to take our 3 picks to the draft.

We would need another rookie list spot, that we currently don’t have.

As it is, we’re going to have to delist a contracted player and redraft them in the rookie draft to take our 3 picks to the draft.
Hopefully that man that started the conversation in CEY.

So as most people suspected. Joyce, Smith and Ballenden delisted.

And CEY to be delisted and picked up as a rookie.

Also good to see that all of the delisted 3 have been offered VFL Contracts if they don’t get picked up by another club.
So they have just been unfortunate with the list squeeze. Especially Joyce imo.

Disappointed. Tom is a good player and to me Connor is really on the improve.

It is what it is.

We didn't have a lot of choice.
It always sucks that's for sure. However I honestly don't see any of these guys attracting interest elsewhere. I think we might have been tempted to keep Ballenden as depth, but being out of contract and a real squeeze on list spots there wasn't any other options really. I'm not as cut up about losing these boys as I have been other years. I was at a bit of a loss when we moved on Keays, Walker, Cutler, Taylor, Robertson, Eagles and even Basti (yes I know some were trades). All guys that could play at a reasonable level. I'm not sure any of this year's delisted players were in the same category.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we can sign these boys to the vfl team as development players with a chance to get them back on the list next year
Maybe a tall order but never say never

The cuts that had to be made. I assume there is no option to just pay CEY out and not have him use a list spot next season?

I know our recruiting team has had a lot of hits but it’s pretty disappointing to get a combined 3 games from 3 players picked at like 35/40/43 or something. Ely Smith another recent draftee looking shaky for next years OOC thread.

I blame the AFL for cutting list spots.
yes spots you say.. Although wonder who would of gone if they did not drop off.
You assume we kept a few from last year as well maybe Martin and 1-2 from Lyons, Skinner or Wooler.
Hinge we offered a rookie spot to although moved.
Sad part of the system.. Not sure I agree so much list cuts.. rather a longer list of players east coast teams now have basically reserves in VFL.

from 2020 Who has left: Jacob Allison (delisted), Allen Christensen (retired), Cedric Cox (delisted), Matt Eagles (delisted), Mitch Hinge (Adelaide, delisted free agent), Corey Lyons (delisted), Stefan Martin (Western Bulldogs, trade), Sam Skinner (delisted), Alex Witherden (West Coast Eagles, trade), Toby Wooller (delisted)
Then who we rookied which normally means you are gone apart from Matho.. If Neale did not get injured wonder what would of happened to him?
Retained rookies: Connor Ballenden (category A, pre-listed from 2020 senior list), Grant Birchall (rookie pick 15), Rhys Mathieson (category A, pre-listed from 2020 senior list)

yes spots you say.. Although wonder who would of gone if they did not drop off.
You assume we kept a few from last year as well maybe Martin and 1-2 from Lyons, Skinner or Wooler.
Hinge we offered a rookie spot to although moved.
Sad part of the system.. Not sure I agree so much list cuts.. rather a longer list of players east coast teams now have basically reserves in VFL.

from 2020 Who has left: Jacob Allison (delisted), Allen Christensen (retired), Cedric Cox (delisted), Matt Eagles (delisted), Mitch Hinge (Adelaide, delisted free agent), Corey Lyons (delisted), Stefan Martin (Western Bulldogs, trade), Sam Skinner (delisted), Alex Witherden (West Coast Eagles, trade), Toby Wooller (delisted)
Then who we rookied which normally means you are gone apart from Matho.. If Neale did not get injured wonder what would of happened to him?
Retained rookies: Connor Ballenden (category A, pre-listed from 2020 senior list), Grant Birchall (rookie pick 15), Rhys Mathieson (category A, pre-listed from 2020 senior list)
Speaking of Bundy.
I wonder if the club consider offering Him the new (Indigenous Development officer) role that is now available to all clubs outside the cap?

So what did go wrong with Ballenden? I also remember at one stage he was in discussions as a number 1 pick and even early/mid-draft season he was still considered a potential late first rounder. Given he is a ruck/KPP or vice verse and they always take a while to develop and given he obviously did well this season, is this a mistake to let him go? Is he really any worse than Fullerton? Which one has more upside? Could he have done Fort’s role if given the chance?

These are genuine questions because it seems quite a fall for someone so highly touted early.

Personally comparing Ballenden to Fullarton.
Ballenden better mark, reading the ball in flight and better disposal by foot.
Fullarton uses his body better, better below knees and quicker hands.
Ruck not sure either are great.

I was hoping Ballenden expand his role across half back.. Be a great loose back with height and disposal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back