Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Yeah, I thought that if we traded a couple out, we'd take a step back to go forward, but I think we just take a step forward now.
I'm not too concerned about the short term W-L, but I think the trade period will see us have more wins in 2022, and we can then use 2022 trade period to adjust the rebuild as necessary.

In terms of excitement, it's just a refreshing vibe about the club, which is very different from the last (fantastic) 17 years. It's exciting times.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, I thought that if we traded a couple out, we'd take a step back to go forward, but I think we just take a step forward now.
You think we've got enough A graders yet? Just worry about being a middle side, not strong enough to truly challenge and slightly too strong to gather those picks we need.

Without top 5 picks, can our midfield challenge Dogs, Dees, Port, North, Swans in the future?

You think we've got enough A graders yet? Just worry about being a middle side, not strong enough to truly challenge and slightly too strong to gather those picks we need.

Without top 5 picks, can our midfield challenge Dogs, Dees, Port, North, Swans in the future?
We have a top 5 this year, and may next year.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have a top 5 this year, and may next year.
By not trading out any of those players, or making harsh calls, doesn't that say the club thinks we should improve?

Meaning we might miss out on those potential top 10 mids in the competition in the draft.

By not trading out any of those players, or making harsh calls, doesn't that say the club thinks we should improve?

Meaning we might miss out on those potential top 10 mids in the competition in the draft.
Can't trade out players that don't agree.

Harsh calls were made.

Club may think it can improve. Other clubs may improve more and go past us anyway (Adelaide, potentially Gold Coast, Collingwood)

It may mean we play those mids in different roles, giving youngsters those roles. We may not improve if there is a whole new game style. There may even be more injuries.

Unless we're making the 8 next year, we're still getting a top 10 pick. And that's before trading next year.....or losing Free Agents....

One thing I keep thinking about, we can't trade all the veterans. The young kids need some leadership. I'd prefer we go the GWS route, rather the Gold Coast one.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't trade out players that don't agree.

Harsh calls were made.

Club may think it can improve. Other clubs may improve more and go past us anyway (Adelaide, potentially Gold Coast, Collingwood)

It may mean we play those mids in different roles, giving youngsters those roles. We may not improve if there is a whole new game style. There may even be more injuries.

Unless we're making the 8 next year, we're still getting a top 10 pick. And that's before trading next year.....or losing Free Agents....

One thing I keep thinking about, we can't trade all the veterans. The young kids need some leadership. I'd prefer we go the GWS route, rather the Gold Coast one.
I agree in parts.

I never encouraged moving out more than one player, thought maybe one could be moved to give us an inside 15 pick.

I hope we do give the older players different roles, more exposure to youngsters, especially mids. Younger players should come before older players in selection in some cases.

Which harsh calls were made? Ceglar, O'Brien don't really count, they were fringe players.

Difficult dilemma we have is that, I think we genuinely could make the 8 with Gunston, Sicily firing. Hopefully mitch emphasises that our premiership window is 2025-2030, by gathering early picks next year and then rising, don't think its worth rising too fast.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What I am looking forward to next year is seeing how we go with a different game style.

I honestly couldn't tell if Clarko's ultra defensive coaching style over the last 3 years on average saved us from losing games or stopped us from winning games.

I feel our current list responds better to a more offensive, fast paced style so we might be pleasantly surprised with our results next year (assuming Sam does indeed implement a more offensive gameplan) which could indicate our list isn't in quite as bad a state as we think (or it could all turn 🍐 shaped!)

I agree in parts.

I never encouraged moving out more than one player, thought maybe one could be moved to give us an inside 15 pick.

I hope we do give the older players different roles, more exposure to youngsters, especially mids. Younger players should come before older players in selection in some cases.

Which harsh calls were made? Ceglar, O'Brien don't really count, they were fringe players.

Difficult dilemma we have is that, I think we genuinely could make the 8 with Gunston, Sicily firing. Hopefully mitch emphasises that our premiership window is 2025-2030, by gathering early picks next year and then rising, don't think its worth rising too fast.
Harsh calls - the club tried to get senior players traded. Can't think of too many more ballsy than that

You want Mitchell to tank?

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Harsh calls - the club tried to get senior players traded. Can't think of too many more ballsy than that

You want Mitchell to tank?
I thought we were quite professional and sensitive in that regard, always asking the player. We were open to offers, not actively trying to get rid of them, we were well aware they were contracted.

No, I want the club to take a long term focus over a short term focus. Like giving Worpel 80% midfield time, 40% time for O'Meara and Mitchell. Playing Maginess and Newcombe over a Shiels or a Phillips.

I think Mitchell is an absolute football genius and having read his autobiography, watched how he handled West Coast's midfield without Gaff and Naitanui in 2018, and how he handled Box Hill this year... I understand why blokes want to stay on. We could rebound really quickly.

It will be best for Sam to come into a side that has continuity and has played together consistently as well, new coach + a bunch of player movement could have been a disaster.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
I thought we were quite professional and sensitive in that regard, always asking the player. We were open to offers, not actively trying to get rid of them, we were well aware they were contracted.

No, I want the club to take a long term focus over a short term focus. Like giving Worpel 80% midfield time, 40% time for O'Meara and Mitchell. Playing Maginess and Newcombe over a Shiels or a Phillips.

All of our outside players are quite young – Phillips/Howe the oldest at 25/26? I don't think they're really competing with Finn or Duke for spots. That's more Shiels, Worpel, Nash

I think that is what we will see under Mitchell.

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
What I am looking forward to next year is seeing how we go with a different game style.

I honestly couldn't tell if Clarko's ultra defensive coaching style over the last 3 years on average saved us from losing games or stopped us from winning games.

I feel our current list responds better to a more offensive, fast paced style so we might be pleasantly surprised with our results next year (assuming Sam does indeed implement a more offensive gameplan) which could indicate our list isn't in quite as bad a state as we think (or it could all turn 🍐 shaped!)

I think Clarko got scarred by a few of the floggings we copped in 2017 - we'd taken more risks with our defensive unit before that in terms of gambling extra players at the ball and forward to keep it locked in. After that we started with the extra back and really struggling to transition quickly out of defense. Some of it of course comes down to personnel, but I think there was also a concerted effort to minimise scores against first, rather than maximise scores for.

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I think Mitchell is an absolute football genius and having read his autobiography, watched how he handled West Coast's midfield without Gaff and Naitanui in 2018, and how he handled Box Hill this year... I understand why blokes want to stay on. We could rebound really quickly.

It will be best for Sam to come into a side that has continuity and has played together consistently as well, new coach + a bunch of player movement could have been a disaster.
After reading his autobiography and getting an insight into how his footy brain thinks and works was quite enlightening and it clicked for me what great potential he had as a coach.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It might of already been mentioned in here but there is a podcast called where do we begin and Denver featured on it, well worth a listen. Talks about his first year in the system amongst other things. It was put to him at the end the differences between clarko and Mitchell and he said how they're polar opposites in the way they think about footy. At box Hill Mitchell wanted 20 goals every week and denver said when they won but didn't kick 20 he almost wouldn't let them sing the song.

He also went on to mention a few things about the handover and how poorly it was handled and how clarko was treated. Bit is super excited to work with Mitchell.

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It might of already been mentioned in here but there is a podcast called where do we begin and Denver featured on it, well worth a listen. Talks about his first year in the system amongst other things. It was put to him at the end the differences between clarko and Mitchell and he said how they're polar opposites in the way they think about footy. At box Hill Mitchell wanted 20 goals every week and denver said when they won but didn't kick 20 he almost wouldn't let them sing the song.

He also went on to mention a few things about the handover and how poorly it was handled and how clarko was treated. Bit is super excited to work with Mitchell.
Share a good podcast https://castbox.fm/x/2lwJk

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

................................ is super excited to work with Mitchell.

Yum.

He's got that Jarryd Roughead style of easy conversation. He's really likable to listen to. I hope he has a great season next year.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
I'm hoping Mitchell has the balls to rotate CJ, Scrimshaw, Impey, Sicily onto the wings.
If that happens I think we will have an incredibly dangerous forward set up, as they are arguably our most dangerous players going inside 50, and 3 of the 4 have amazing goal sense too

Back