Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looking forward to the Brock Jarvis fight this Sunday.

I don't know much about his opponent, but fighting a Mexican such a long way from home is bound to be a challenge.

* It's on the Garcia v Martin undercard, televised on DAZN.
Full fight card
Mikey Garcia vs. Sandor Martin

Elwin Soto vs. Jonathan Gonzalez – Soto’s WBO light-flyweight title

Jesse Rodriguez vs. Jose Alejandro Burgos

Marc Castro vs. Angel Luna

Brock Jarvis🇦🇺(19-0, 17 KOs) vs. Alejandro Frias Rodriguez🇲🇽(13-4-2, 6 KOs)

Diego Pacheco vs. Lucas de Abreu

Nikita Ababiy vs. Sanny Duversonne

Khalil Coe vs. Aaron Casper

Charlie Sheehy vs. Luciano Ramos

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Scorecards are going to be very interesting here. I have it 96-94 to Martin, but there were quite a few close rounds that were tough to score.

Every chance the hometown judges will be leaning towards Garcia more than the commentators expect. Martin deserve the win though.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
So Jai Opetaia is going to be fighting Briedis next for the title. Can't wait for that one, Jai is my favourite Aussie boxer. It's going to be a big step up in class for him though.

Today was the first Briedis fight I've seen and it was a bit of a weird one. Considering it looked like he completely outclassed Mann he still managed to wear quite a few shots and was bleeding quite heavily at the end even though it only went 4 rounds. Hopefully he's gettable for Opetaia.

What an arrogant dick.
Bloke is the biggest dickhead going around

But kudos for him forging a successful career despite being unentertaining and not funny

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Bloke is the biggest dickhead going around

But kudos for him forging a successful career despite being unentertaining and not funny

Don’t know who he is but,

01D4FA4D-C60B-4E2A-A1E2-FEF28CF082AA.jpeg

Why tf he wanna talk sh*t about Tyson.?

He’d be murdered in 10 seconds.
To be fair he was a top 15 UFC heavyweight himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Yeah makes him look stupid. To be fair he's right about Tyson being overrated, I wouldn't have him in my top 5 HWs of all time either, he must have been a massive draw though.
Tyson is overrated only because of how quickly he cleaned out and unified that division, 32 KOs in the first or 2nd round IIRC.

Sadly we were robbed of the best of him due to the rape conviction. I’m not saying he should’ve got off but that was 3 years of his peak boxing time in jail.

He’s owned up to many shitty things he did but he still disputes that today.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Tyson is overrated only because of how quickly he cleaned out and unified that division, 32 KOs in the first or 2nd round IIRC.

Sadly we were robbed of the best of him due to the rape conviction.

Yeah fair enough, he was very exciting to watch. Well I'm a bit young, I missed his heyday but when you speak to older blokes his fights were unmissable, pubs packed etc.

Actually I went to a UFC in Vegas years ago, was UFC 168 so one of the big events, lot of famous people there. By far the biggest reaction came was when Tyson walked in, everyone in the arena was aware of him, bloke is an icon.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Yeah fair enough, he was very exciting to watch. Well I'm a bit young, I missed his heyday but when you speak to older blokes his fights were unmissable, pubs packed etc.

Actually I went to a UFC in Vegas years ago, was UFC 168 so one of the big events, lot of famous people there. By far the biggest reaction came was when Tyson walked in, everyone in the arena was aware of him, bloke is an icon.
Oh mate, it was nuts, we would go to pubs in the 80s & 90s and the sign out the front was always -

“TYSON FIGHT HERE TODAY!!”

The opponent never even got a mention. 🤣🤣👍

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.

Sadly we were robbed of the best of him due to the rape conviction. I’m not saying he should’ve got off but that was 3 years of his peak boxing time in jail.

He’s owned up to many shitty things he did but he still disputes that today.

He's overrated because he was sat on his arse by Buster Douglas and beaten up a couple of times by Holyfield. I'll forgive the Lewis fight as Mike was gone by then. Most fighters lose but to be a top 5 all time HW you don't lose comprehensively to Buster Douglas and not win one of your fights against Holyfield. Holyfield is an all-time great cruiserweight (probably the GOAT) and an excellent HW but not top 10 all time in that division. Douglas wasn't exactly rubbish but hardly a superstar.

Tyson was great. In my opinion he's in the 5-10 range which is nothing to be sneezed at. I'd have Fury and Tyson pretty even right now but some way behind Ali, Foreman, Frazier and a few others.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
He's overrated because he was sat on his arse by Buster Douglas and beaten up a couple of times by Holyfield. I'll forgive the Lewis fight as Mike was gone by then. Most fighters lose but to be a top 5 all time HW you don't lose comprehensively to Buster Douglas and not win one of your fights against Holyfield. Holyfield is an all-time great cruiserweight (probably the GOAT) and an excellent HW but not top 10 all time in that division. Douglas wasn't exactly rubbish but hardly a superstar.

Tyson was great. In my opinion he's in the 5-10 range which is nothing to be sneezed at. I'd have Fury and Tyson pretty even right now but some way behind Ali, Foreman, Frazier and a few others.
You gotta remember Tyson spent 3 years in jail before he fought Holyfield. Not even allowed to train with a tennis ball.

That broke him. His talent was definitely there but his mind wasn’t.

A pure example of a kid being exploited for money.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals

Christ dude, Lewis lost to Rahman & McCall. 🤣🤣

If you count losses as being overrated as you said then there you go.

let’s not forget Mr ‘Evan Fields’ was juiced to the eyeballs. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Christ dude, Lewis lost to Rahman & McCall. 🤣🤣

If you count losses as being overrated as you said then there you go.

let’s not forget Mr ‘Evan Fields’ was juiced to the eyeballs. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Lewis avenged both those losses with brutal knockouts in the return bouts. But don’t let that fact get in the way of your Mike Tyson reach around.

Which losses did Tyson avenge by the way?

Great fighter, no doubt. Top 5 all-time? Not on your life.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You gotta remember Tyson spent 3 years in jail before he fought Holyfield. Not even allowed to train with a tennis ball.

That broke him. His talent was definitely there but his mind wasn’t.

A pure example of a kid being exploited for money.

Those points are fair comment but it still doesn’t put him in the frame of the very top handful of heavyweights of all time. George Foreman spent ten years eating hamburgers, came back and won the heavyweight title at 45 years old. Prison might have broken Mike but he doesn’t get bonus points on what might have been. Douglas comfortably beat him before he was put away so there’s no guarantee that his best fighting days were taken from him.

Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Holmes, Dempsey, Marciano, Louis…there’s 7 at least who are comfortably ahead of Tyson. Then you could make a solid case for Lewis, Klitschko and Fury. Even Holyfield is in the argument.

So it’s actually quite difficult to mount a case that he’s a lock in the top 10. I’d have him somewhere between 8-10 most probably but certainly no higher than that.

Last edited:

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Lewis avenged both those losses with brutal knockouts in the return bouts. But don’t let that fact get in the way of your Mike Tyson reach around.

Which losses did Tyson avenge by the way?

Great fighter, no doubt. Top 5 all-time? Not on your life.
The point is Lewis got KOd by nobodies. 😂🤣🤣

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Those points are fair comment but it still doesn’t put him in the frame of the very top handful of heavyweights of all time. George Foreman spent ten years eating hamburgers, came back and won the heavyweight title at 45 years old. Prison might have broken Mike but he doesn’t get bonus point on what might have been. Douglas comfortably beat him before he was put away so there’s no guarantee that his best fighting days were taken from him.

Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Holmes, Dempsey, Marciano, Louis…there’s 7 at least who are comfortably ahead of Tyson. Then you could make a solid case for Lewis, Klitschko and Fury. Even Holyfield is in the argument.

So it’s actually quite difficult to mount a case that he’s a lock in the top 10. I’d have him somewhere between 8-10 most probably but certainly no higher than that.
Don’t really see the argument you’re trying to make here.

I didn’t even give a rating on Tyson. 😂🤣

Cool down, champ.

Back